Arm Bevel or Radiused Fretboard? What is more desirable to you?

What is more desirable an arm bevel or a radiused fretboard?

• arm bevel

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • radiused fretboard

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • don't know

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Doc_J

Reaction score
I'm curious to what is more important to most players, an arm bevel or a radiused fretboard. So here's a poll and thread.

Personally I would rather have a radiused fretboard. The way I hold a uke the arm bevel is not necessary.

Last edited:
Same here. A radiused fretboard is a must for me. Beveled would be cool but, like you, not necessary . Sounds like something new coming up Doc?

My guess is very few people have even tried an arm bevel. I've played 50+ Ukes and never had the opportunity to play one. I love the way they look, however.

I have a slight preference for having vs. Not having a radius fretboard, but if I had to choose between the two, I might go arm bevel for looks!

Arm bevel for sure, gotta have it! For those who have never tried a uke with a Laskin's style arm bevel(LFdM uke), it is definitely not just for looks. It works as advertised for extended playing comfort.:shaka:

LFdM2.jpg

Same here. A radiused fretboard is a must for me. Beveled would be cool but, like you, not necessary . Sounds like something new coming up Doc?

Nothing new in the planning stage Patrick. I was just thinking about how I'm seeing more arm bevels on new ukes this past year. And there is always a debate on radiused fretboards, as to whether they matter. I like a radiused fretboard, but I play a flat fretboard fine too. Still, I'd get a radiused fretboard before an arm bevel. Both would be nice. While I know an arm bevel is a small change in a top's area, seems like it must affect the uke's tone and volume.

I was just thinking about how I'm seeing more arm bevels on new ukes this past year. I like a radiused fretboard, but I play a flat fretboard fine too. Still, I'd get a radiused fretboard before an arm bevel. Both would be nice. While I know an arm bevel is a small change in a top's area, seems like it must affect the uke's tone and volume.

IMHO When a very skilled and experienced master luthier such as Luis (LFdM) incorporates a Laskin's Style beveled edge/armrest into the design when building his ukes, from my experience, there is definitely no loss of tone and volume. LFdM's are cannons!

On a side note ... and it is not my intention to hijack your thread, my preference is to have a side sound port as well. I love the stereo surround sound effect that side sound ports produce!:shaka:

Last edited:
Count me in with the radius fretboard being most important. I like them so much the last three tenors I bought have a radius fretboard.

IMHO When a very skilled and experienced master luthier such as Luis (LFdM) incorporates a Laskin's Style beveled edge/armrest into the design when building his ukes, from my experience, there is definitely no loss of tone and volume. LFdM's are cannons!

On a side note ... and it is not my intention to hijack your thread, my preference is to have a side sound port as well. I love the stereo surround sound effect that side sound ports produce!:shaka:

Well, on my new LFDM coming at the end of this April it will have: Laskin Arm Rest, wider fretboard with radius neck AND a sound port. I am very excited about it and will post very shortly about it.

Cheers.

Arm bevel, for sure.

Full disclosure statement: I don't think I want either. But I know I dislike the radius.

Well, on my new LFDM coming at the end of this April it will have: Laskin Arm Rest, wider fretboard with radius neck AND a sound port. I am very excited about it and will post very shortly about it.

Cheers.

Wow, sounds amazing. If I could have a LFdM, then arm bevel for sure. Those ukuleles are gorgeous inside and out. I've never played a radius neck or an arm bevel, but I still enjoy playing greatly, so for me, I think I'd choose arm bevel.

I prefer a little radius to the fingerboard, though I've often survived without.

I'm indifferent to an arm bevel on a comfort level as I don't find any discomfort without one, but I don't like anything that reduces the size of the soundboard, including cutaways. The sound board is pretty small as it is.

However, you can't always get what you want.

Of the four Ukes that I currently own, two have a radiused fretboard and two don't. All four are easy to play but given the choice, I'd opt for a radiused fretboard(but with a wider than normal nut width). Bevels look great and I think they would be very comfortable, particularly on a guitar. Haven't played a Uke with one so can't choose which feature I'd prefer over the other.

Not tried either, think I want both. Arm bevel looks cool and I think the radius fretboard would really help with bar chords
Cliff

I feel like I play bars better with a radius.
But I don't really struggle with discomfort from the edge.
Then again I mostly play sitting, or lying down, and I don't use straps.

Well, if I really have to choose only one, I'd pick the bevel. My arm gets a little sore holding my babies. I don't need a radius....I think....

Can you give details why you don't like the radius? I'm interested.

I had a wonderful Mya Moe. Everything about it was great. Still, I never got the whole "follows the curve of your finger" thing, for barr chords. The radiused fret board did not follow mine. My Barr chords buzzed when they did not on my flat fret board instrument. In addition, after a year or so, I was tired of what felt like reaching over three strings to play string #4 when playing melody. Having the two center strings up higher than 1 and 4 was a constant pain for me. I find the flat far more usable.

I have never liked the look of an arm bevel, looks kinda ugly to me. Besides I have never felt uncomfortable playing ukes without bevels.

And since I use barre chord a lot, I do like a slight radius. Flat is fine too, though.

I just ordered my Kanile'a to have a radiused fretboard, because I really loved the radius on my guitar. Arm bevels look a bit weird to me and take too much away from the traditional silhouette of the uke. They're just not for me and I don't feel they're necessary for comfortable playing.

Yeah I like radiused fretboards. However there are some standard fretboards that play just as well for me. As in Pono vs Gretsch. The Gretsch is about as easy to play as any uke I've held with the radiused fretboard. And as I'm getting used to my new Risa Les Paul I have to say with it's very low action it just doesn't need a radiused fretboard. It plays like a dream.

Top Bottom