Modding gig bags

Ukegirl96

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm getting my first uke soon and I'd like to modify the boring looking black gig bag to look more girly. How can I do that to a Kala Makala concert uke bag? I'm not that good in sewing but my mom might help me.

Would fabric paint be an option? Or perhaps adding colorful patches to the material of the bag? Could you have it custom embroidered with some kind of fun pattern?

I think I have some colorful fabric scraps, I might use them �� or maybe sew a patch of wool fabric on and decorate the patch by felting.

If there is an exterior pocket, you could probably take it to a custom embroidery place and have some design put on the pocket, or even on the top big flap of the gig bag - as long as they can get it to fit in the machine. There are hundreds/thousands of designs out there to choose from, and tons of thread choices. Any place that does monograms would be able to help you.

Due to some luck, I came into possession of a free tenor gigbag, where I promptly covered up the logo with a patch. I bought some iron-on tape from Michael's, applied it to the patch and then ironed it onto the gigbag. Pretty easy stuff!

tumblr_nmh4qtr8al1qd1lblo1_540.png

I'd like to modify the boring looking black gig bag to look more girly

Given the basic shape of the instrument, how about a bikini ... summer's coming ;)

How on earth can I put a bikini on a gigbag? And, I think I could borrow an embroidery machine from our school or the local 4h. I have to decorate the bag so that it looks good all year long, not just the summer��

I think I'll sew or glue a patch of wool fabric on the bag and felt some purple hearts or flowers on it. That wouldn't require buying paint etc.

I have a similar project to make my uke bag less generic that is in the works. I plan to put colorful patches on mine but don't want to iron on (might melt fabric) nor sew (material too thick). My sister gave me something called Badge Magic (used for Girl/Boy Scout patches) is like super duper double stick tape but on a large sheet. You trace around the desired patch, cut it out and stick on to your case. The downside is that it will be somewhat permanent since the patch will be going on a case (solvent dry cleaning will remove patch and Badge Magic off of clothing).

I'm thinking: what pattern would look good felted from purple/lilac colored wool on black fabric?

I'm thinking something floral right off hand, but that might be tricky.

Love all the ideas here! I've used Badge Magic on my sons' Scout uniforms and that stuff is tacky, to say the least! It should work very well on a ukulele bag.

Flowers aren't that tricky after all, just five circles to form petals and a sixth one in the center.

Top Bottom