PDA

View Full Version : Uke S.A.

fretie
04-07-2015, 04:03 AM
Any thoughts on this new uke by Pops?!

http://www.uke-sa.com/

wildfire070
04-07-2015, 04:46 AM
I like the tear-drop shape. Hmm...really tempted to place an order. How is pinewood as a tone wood?

fretie
04-07-2015, 10:59 AM
I like the tear-drop shape. Hmm...really tempted to place an order. How is pinewood as a tone wood?

Yeah, I'm tempted too...should have good action...I presume it's being made by the Koaloha guys.

You're right...I wonder about pine...how it sounds, certainly an affordable wood for builders.

Here's a sound sample of Corey playing the new Pop's uke:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JrYXmUtxivM&feature=youtu.be

cpmusic
04-07-2015, 11:28 AM
This is fascinating. I wouldn't have guessed that pine is a decent tone wood, but that that uke sounds nice in the video.

Ukejenny
04-07-2015, 11:35 AM
The video on the site had a nice sound. I like the shape. How soft is pine, say, compared to cedar?

Does anyone happen to know the song he is strumming on the video example on the website. It sure looks fun.

geetee
04-07-2015, 05:26 PM
The site says "Hand made in Hawai'i by Papa KoAloha himself!"

The song is "Crazy G". Corey did a tutorial on it himself. https://vimeo.com/25020444
And there are lots of them on YT also.

dkcrown
04-08-2015, 12:39 AM
Looks like a fun little uke. Sounds great in the hands of Corey. I would like to see different tuners though.

UkerDanno
04-08-2015, 04:34 AM
Moore Bettah makes some ukes with Douglas Fir, that's pine isn't it? My friend has one, it sounds great!

personally, I don't care for the teardrop shape, but if you want something different...

ambilevous, huh? ;-D

igorthebarbarian
04-08-2015, 04:41 AM
Looks pretty cool and made in the USA

sonomajazz
04-08-2015, 04:54 AM
Looks pretty cool and made in the USA

yeah, way out in west USA...and hand made by Pops himself!...

Might need to get one...especially for the price, $295...that's dinner in the city...(SF)

gregmchugh
04-08-2015, 08:23 AM
I like the idea of getting more U.S. made instruments in my price range and this one looks cool to me so I went ahead and ordered one...

Tommy B
04-08-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm really tempted by this: it's innovative, it's made by KoAloha, and it's U.S.-built. I even like the teardrop shape, which reminds me of the old Lyon & Healy and Favilla teardrops. But I'm just not a soprano player these days. If they came up with a longneck, I'd be all over it.

mds725
04-08-2015, 09:23 AM
I would love to see this in a tenor scale. :)

jer
04-08-2015, 10:03 AM
That thing is very cool. I like it. Thanks for sharing! :)

fretie
04-08-2015, 10:33 AM
I like the idea of getting more U.S. made instruments in my price range and this one looks cool to me so I went ahead and ordered one...

Good on you, Greg!

Please let us know how you like it once it has arrived.

actadh
04-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I emailed last night around midnight eastern time about installing strap buttons. Received an answer within minutes. I realize it wasn't midnight there, but that was still pretty impressive.

No problem installing on the heel and the bottom has a tailblock that you can drill into for the strap button. They don't seem to offer that when you buy from the website, but it is good to know that it can be done.

fretie
04-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I emailed last night around midnight eastern time about installing strap buttons. Received an answer within minutes. I realize it wasn't midnight there, but that was still pretty impressive.

No problem installing on the heel and the bottom has a tailblock that you can drill into for the strap button. They don't seem to offer that when you buy from the website, but it is good to know that it can be done.

Thanks for sharing that... good to know because if I ordered one I'd want a strap button installed as well.

fretie
04-08-2015, 11:28 AM
According to 'Pops' the first one of these ukes sold went to a Canadian woman! Way to get in there, wiki wiki, Canuck!

M3Ukulele
04-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Very interesting looking ukulele. I went to their site but missed where is said the wood was Pine. What is the fretboard made out of? I assume with Pops work..... its all solid wood! +1 on a Tenor scale........ I'd buy one.

gregmchugh
04-09-2015, 04:26 AM
Website description says Koa for the fretboard and bridge...

Ukulele Eddie
04-09-2015, 05:57 AM
The man knows a thing or two about making ukes, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't deliver great value for the price. I'm okay with the tear drop shape. I don't care at all for the "revolutionary fretband" position markers. Maybe they'd look better if they didn't extend the full width, but I really dislike their look.

I believe pine is in the same family as spruce but is a softer wood. I wonder how easily the AO will dent/mark? I think the early Telecaster's were made from pine and I've read about it being used in both electric and archtop guitars quite succesfully.

My guess is somebody here will grab one of the first runs and tell us all about it!

bonesigh
04-09-2015, 08:35 AM
I really like the sound of it. Teardrop shape is cool and looks to have enough space between the bridge and the bottom of the uke. Sometimes the bridges on sopranos are way too close to the bottom edge and my arm mutes the strings. I'm not a fan of those fret markers either as Eddie said above. I prefer the look of the uke that Corrie is playing. The dot markers and the end of the fretboard. (:

AndrewKuker
04-09-2015, 10:24 PM
I walked in on pops building them today. He must be the most warm hearted guy I've ever known. And his methodology for efficient production is awesome, which is how he is charging this. Of course he can only charge this with factory direct sales so we won't get to carry them but I give them the thumbs up any way. Plays like butter with a vibrant sound. Made by the man himself. For 295. Nuff said.

niwenomian
04-10-2015, 08:01 AM
ambilevous, huh? ;-D

That caught my eye too! I had to look it up.

One definition referred to two left hands, as opposed to ambidextrous, which I guess would be two right hands. It's been often said that I dance like I have two left feet, so I guess now this uke will allow me to play music like I have two left hands.

On a more serious note, I am anxious to hear more about this uke. I think that it could really be a winner at that price point. With Pops at the workbench, I'm sure that we can expect the playability, light build and spot-on intonation that all the Koaloha's share. Being made in the USA is a great attribute as well.

So, who'll be the first UU'er to take the plunge?

Nick

coolkayaker1
04-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Interesting for sure. Both the uke itself, and the KoAloha direct sales model.

Pine...I thought pine was not only soft, but warped like crazy. I could be wrong; I know pine furniture and shelving warps, and even laminated pine (i.e. plywood), although more resistant, can still warp. But, this uke is solid pine:

Key Features:

-Solid Pinewood Body & Neck

-Koa Fretboard (w/Koa Binding) & bridge

I'm not a woodworker, though, so I'm just throwing this out, but someone with experience can set us (me) straight.

Best to Pops and KoAloha. They sure make great instruments. When they move locations, perhaps Andrew or someone could do a great video of the new digs. That'd be well-received and appreciated.

(P.S. I elect Nick to be the first UU'er to take the plunge...lol)

kkimura
04-10-2015, 12:28 PM
The only pine I've ever seen was lumber grade and it would warp in a second. But maybe well seasoned quarter sawed pine with straight tight grain is better?

niwenomian
04-10-2015, 12:41 PM
(P.S. I elect Nick to be the first UU'er to take the plunge...lol)

I think you've hit on a novel way to justify expanding our collections to our SO. "But honey, I've been ELECTED....I've been chosen to serve my community. It's for the good of my people. No one really knows how ambivelous pinewood plays until I tell them."

PeteyHoudini
04-11-2015, 03:26 PM
According to 'Pops' the first one of these ukes sold went to a Canadian woman! Way to get in there, wiki wiki, Canuck!

Good gravy! Too many Canadians are taking up the uke these days... ;-) hehe

Petey

Ludwig.
04-12-2015, 03:01 AM
I have a Canarian Timple made of pinewood. It's bright that's all I can say (not only because of the tuning).

You can check it out here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlnM5beJ94A), Baz did a sound demo.

/edit: Oh, and I want one ;) but really have no arguments at the moment since I just got myself a curly curly Imua and have a Rob Collins (both sopranos) in the works.

Photojosh
04-12-2015, 05:10 AM
I actually like the look if those fret bands a lot. I don't know about ambilevous play, but they style looks good to me.

The pine aspect is something I'm unsure about though. I'm not knowledgeable enough about that sort of stuff to know if it matters or not. I do know that there are a number of different "pine" woods with different hardnesses. For example, according to this, southern yellow pine is the pretty much the same hardness as eastern red cedar (and harder than mahogany):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Anyway, for $300 brand new made in the USA, this could be a replacement for my pineapple search.

Ludwig.
04-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Any news?

Just couldn't resist and ordered one. It may take a while since I'll wait for the next batch and friction tuners installed instead of the standard geared ones.

Can't wait. :o

turtledrum
04-22-2015, 10:48 AM
I couldn't resist either. Mine is shipping today. I'm hoping to get it on Friday, as I went with express shipping. Also, I contacted uke lab and Isaac arranged for a hard shell case upgrade for me. I'm very excited about the fact that it is pine, though I've read of and respect the hesitancy others have. I really like pines - what can I say.:)

fretie
04-22-2015, 12:52 PM
I couldn't resist either. Mine is shipping today. I'm hoping to get it on Friday, as I went with express shipping. Also, I contacted uke lab and Isaac arranged for a hard shell case upgrade for me. I'm very excited about the fact that it is pine, though I've read of and respect the hesitancy others have. I really like pines - what can I say.:)

Finally! I feel our first UU review coming on!

Can't wait to hear what you think of it, TurtleD.

Nickie
04-22-2015, 01:15 PM
That's an interesting looking uke....I hafta hear that video when I get home....not a bad price!

Ludwig.
05-30-2015, 01:21 AM
Still noone? Mine is at custom clearance now - hope to pick her up sometime next week.

turtledrum
05-30-2015, 09:38 AM
I chose to return mine because of a few issues that were unique to the instrument I received (bridge lifted at a corner, alignment).

However, the return was facilitated by Uke Lab And my experience was a very positive one. I hope that no one will be deterred by my decision to return the uke and not post a review. I just felt that I was unable to do that. And, I truly believe that the issues I just mentioned were unique to the one I received.

Down the road, I might consider ordering another. Because I will be in Hawaii in a few weeks, I decided not to reorder immediately.

Icelander53
05-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Any thoughts on this new uke by Pops?!

http://www.uke-sa.com/

It's not a tenor.

Rakelele
01-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Thoughts, reviews, anyone?

Ludwig.
01-10-2016, 03:33 AM
Thoughts, reviews, anyone?

I sold mine.

It sure is a great sounding instrument regarding the price but the fit and finish of mine was kind of messy. The bridge was not glued on properly and the fretboard was finished only until the 10th fret. Also, there were quite a few parts with unclean sanding.

As I said, for the price, there's nothing wrong with it but if you are expecting a ukulele as gorgeous and well-finished as a KSM-00, you might save a little more and go for the KoAloha Opio.