Concert Body with Tenor Neck?

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by this combination - Concert Body with Tenor Neck?

What's the appeal? Pros and Cons?

Potential benefits include larger fretboard for more finger real estate and higher string tension. For some people, it may be more comfortable to hold the smaller body.

One of the potential negatives to consider is it will likely be neck heavy. This may or may not be an issue for you (e.g., if you play with strap, probably not an issue).

The KoAloha KCM-002 is a very popular longneck concert and the only one I've spent a lot of time with. Loved it.

I have a Ceniza all koa concert with a tenor neck. The neck is narrow and therefore very fast. I find it to be a very, very comfortable ukulele to hold and play. I think having a longer neck on either a soprano or a concert really increases the playability. I am, however, a tenor and baritone player mostly.

I have a Moore Bettah super-concert. I love it. I like the size of a concert body, but like the extra frets for playing.

You are so lucky to have a concert MB uke! As long as I could have another koa tenor uke from Chuck, I would be very very happy. I guess I do not have the opportunity to own a concert one coz that usually is a custom uke:iwant:
I have a Moore Bettah super-concert. I love it. I like the size of a concert body, but like the extra frets for playing.

I don't get it. If you want to play a tenor scale, why get a little body? (I know you guys will explain it, but I'm too stupid to understand.)

Why a super concert? I prefer that body size. But a concert neck doesn't have enough frets.
The song I am working on now goes up to the A string 15th fret. A tenor neck is better. Plus the sound of a concert doesn't seem to deep to me.

Sukie, I KNEW there was something different about your uke! A tenor body isn't comfortable to hold, for me, either. But I don't play up the neck so much yet, so the regular size neck is okay. I tried a couple of shorter necked concerts, and there just weren't enough frets to work with...
But I think a super concert is intriguing, especially with a thin neck, so it's not too heavy.

Because its just fits me better. I own three Super Concerts, a Kanilea and two customs.

You gonna lost some frequences that you found in a tenor body when you play in the superconcert. I bought a Koaloha Superconcert in 2010, but I just like the sound. I falling in love with the sound I can hear from the tenor neck just when I bought a Koaloha tenor in 2012. Them I play Jake Shimabukuro ando another songs that really sings, now, in my Kamaka HF-3. For me, the concert and soprano body has limitations when you play some songs in the scale.

the tenor body has a different resonance than the concert body, call it a deeper or darker type of sound, so depending on the maker and the type of wood, the regular tenor is the ticket. if all things considered the concert sound is what you like then the super concert gives you more hold comfort and the tenor scale. that's how the thing strikes me.

I have a Kamaka long-neck concert, which has a ternor-scale neck on a concert body and it's my favorite all-around ukulele.

I prefer the sound of a concert body, which to me sounds more uke-like, and less guiitar-like. Also, for my length of forearm, the shorter concert body length puts my index finger above the body at the 12th fret for strumming, avoiding strum wear to the body finish.

I like the tenor-scale's roomier fret spacing and 14 frets to the body, which makes playing up the neck easier. Another plus is that having a tenor scale on a concert body allows the 14-fret neck join without moving the bridge out of the sweet spot in the center of the lower bout.

All in all, it's a great combination.

+1 on the Kamaka Long-neck Concert. It combines the best attributes of Concert and Tenor sizes.

Top Bottom