I'iwi Ukuleles, anyone?

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
The two recent tenors put up on HMS got snapped up within days, so the brand clearly has fans. But it's true I haven't read much about it on UU.

Amazing looking and sounding.

Daniel has had a used one for quite a while Steve. I don't know if he still has it, but I have seen some sound clips that he made with it, back in the day. Ha! Spruce top and it sounded great. I'm sure that he'll chime in here or maybe PM him.

I can't add too much more to the review I've already written. My concert I'iwi is superbly made: clean and tight fit, precise and very light. The uke vibrates wonderfully when played. The neck is on the thinner side and balances very well with the body. The sweet sound is compelling, strumming or picking. I'm now using Southcoast Light Mediums and like them a lot.

I'iwi Tenor

I bought the I'iwi Redwood/Mahogany Tenor that was recently one of two mahogany tenors listed. I just loved the sound. I had seen/heard I'iwi tenors before, and they sounded very nice, but there was something different to me in the sound of these two recent I'iwi tenors. Sound is of course subjective, but these two ukes were different than others to me and just ever so pleasing to my ear.

One was all mahogany, the other redwood/mahogany. I liked them both, but one was snapped up before I could decide, so made my decision easy. Probably not my first choice in looks, but the looks have been growing on me and it is unique looking too. A bit risky to buy without playing, and I hope it is comfortable for me, but I bought it for the sound, just hits the right spots and I could not pass it up. Especially with custom builders, and using some special woods from specific trees, then it may be hard to find another one that has the same tone, even from the same builder.

This one stated that Charlie Fukuba had bought this redwood some 15 years ago and was waiting to use it on a special instrument. And Aaron stated that the mahogany on these 2 I'iwi tenor ukes were from the same tree as his personal Ko'olau uke. So, I guess that make them all siblings. :)

Below is the link to the listing that has a sample from Corey, who makes all ukes sound nice. Will let you know more about my thoughts on this I'iwi uke after I receive it and get a chance to play it.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/i-iwi-redwood-top-custom-hawaiian-mahogany-tenor.html

Congrats! Ken, u r a super fast buyer ;)

I haven't played one but have been absolutely drooling over the last 7-8 that came through HMS. They look and sound fantastic via the online experience. His concerts have a dreadnought like body shape and have a nice fullness to their sound. When you consider the finish work and tone, they appear to be excellent values for the money. I'm definitely among his future customers. The only question is, how far into the future. ;-)

@UkeInTW, you are lucky. Let us know your thoughts when it arrives.

Thanks, all. Super to read your respected opinions, Andy, Phil, Dana, Ginny, Craig (superb review!), Eddie and Ceci.

And, Ken, the one you ordered looks and sounds amazing. Corey is known to smear his mojo on nice instruments as generously as mayonnaise on a submarine sandwich, so I can't wait to hear it in your hands.

the I'iwi is as good as it gets...there are 3 ukes that people do not know about....I'iwi.Aaron Oya(btw Kekani on the UU....:))
and Takumi(made in Japan by Kawakami) they are really nice...the concert Takumi's are hard to beat.....IMO
Aaron's inlays are super nice...

Last edited:
What I remember about our search for a special concert uke in Hawaii was a moment in Ukulele Puapua in Honolulu.
Craig had tried a few ukes and was picking a Herb Ohta tune on one when the clerk (named Neal) recognized it and said, "Oh, you like Herb Ohta? You need to try this" and he took down the I'iwi classic concert. It was a perfect marriage of his style and and an instrument. That's why we love it so.

Wow, this is a great thread! I had no idea these ukes existed. They are beautiful, I'd love to try one.

That's Neal Chin, who some of you know as a terrific player and who works part time at PuaPua. He went the extra mile to get us matched up with this I'iwi.

What I remember about our search for a special concert uke in Hawaii was a moment in Ukulele Puapua in Honolulu.
Craig had tried a few ukes and was picking a Herb Ohta tune on one when the clerk (named Neal) recognized it and said, "Oh, you like Herb Ohta? You need to try this" and he took down the I'iwi classic concert. It was a perfect marriage of his style and and an instrument. That's why we love it so.

Man, this is not helping my UAS... Now I want the super concert on HMS. Its body seems to resemble the Kamaka Ohta-San.

Is the one at HMS a Concert or Super Concert, do you think? Doesn't say Super in the text but my browser tab says it and it looks to me like 14 frets to the body, if that counts.

Honestly, I drooooool over these ukes, esp the spruce/koa Super Concert HMS have in at the moment. Someone said once that I'iwi aren't worth the money, but they are so beautiful it is hard to resist.

I bought the I'iwi Redwood/Mahogany Tenor that was recently one of two mahogany tenors listed. I just loved the sound. I had seen/heard I'iwi tenors before, and they sounded very nice, but there was something different to me in the sound of these two recent I'iwi tenors. Sound is of course subjective, but these two ukes were different than others to me and just ever so pleasing to my ear.

One was all mahogany, the other redwood/mahogany. I liked them both, but one was snapped up before I could decide, so made my decision easy. Probably not my first choice in looks, but the looks have been growing on me and it is unique looking too. A bit risky to buy without playing, and I hope it is comfortable for me, but I bought it for the sound, just hits the right spots and I could not pass it up. Especially with custom builders, and using some special woods from specific trees, then it may be hard to find another one that has the same tone, even from the same builder.

This one stated that Charlie Fukuba had bought this redwood some 15 years ago and was waiting to use it on a special instrument. And Aaron stated that the mahogany on these 2 I'iwi tenor ukes were from the same tree as his personal Ko'olau uke. So, I guess that make them all siblings. :)

Below is the link to the listing that has a sample from Corey, who makes all ukes sound nice. Will let you know more about my thoughts on this I'iwi uke after I receive it and get a chance to play it.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/i-iwi-redwood-top-custom-hawaiian-mahogany-tenor.html

Congrats on the new I'iwi.....the redwood top one is Corey's Favorite....

do you know that Corey will be at the Ukulele David festival and the Taiwan Ukulele festival coming up soon.....:)

Top Bottom