Ukulele + Ryanair ?

baga255

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be flying with Ryanair in Europe soon, and I'm thinking of ways to take my ukulele as carry-on luggage without paying extra fees.

I have read that Ryanair has strict policies, so I was wondering if anybody had any recent experiences with Ryanair and ukulele carry-on? If yes, were there any problems?

Note: I have a tenor sized uke.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Josip

From Ryan Airs T&C
http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-cabinbaggage/

Smaller musical items such as a cello, guitar, violin or viola which exceed our cabin baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin if a seat for it has been reserved and the appropriate fare paid. There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat

Easyjet, again from their T&C's
http://www.easyjet.com/en/music-instruments

Musical Instruments

Musical instruments are permitted for carriage as Hand Baggage provided that the instrument, including its case, does not exceed 30cm x 120cm x 38cm. Violins, violas, piccolos, flutes, clarinets, bugles and trumpets all fall within these dimensions. Carriage as Hand Baggage is subject to available space in the overhead lockers and strictly at the Captain's discretion. Please note the instrument will be classed as Your one allowed piece of Hand Baggage.

h

Hi Hms,

Thanks! I checked those out. Unfortunately, my tenor uke is a bit over allowed length of the carry-on luggage (limit for length is 55cm and my uke is around 60cm), so I would need to buy an extra seat for it.

That is the reason why I was wondering if any had experiences of carrying ukes without the excess fees. I really hope there is a way!

I was thinking of strapping my uke gigbag to my carry-on backpack, and hoping they won't notice that the uke is a bit bigger than the backpack hehe. Don't know if that will work though.

Perhaps it would be better to get a cheap soprano that will fit, one that would be the "air traveler" and if damaged during transit it wouldn't cause a coronary. All in all, it's probably cheaper than buying an extra seat or worrying what the instrument will look like after the baggage gorillas are through with it.

I tried to take a Cajon to the UK from the states with British Airways. It fit into their 'musical instrument hand luggage' restrictions, but they still refused to let me take it. No way was it being checked...

Alex-Acuna-Special-Edition-Cajon-800x800-400x400.jpg

Attachments

• Alex-Acuna-Special-Edition-Cajon-800x800-400x400.jpg
    Alex-Acuna-Special-Edition-Cajon-800x800-400x400.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 2
This sounds like a perfectly good reason to get another uke....concert, maybe? If not, soprano? Go for it!

Top Bottom