PDA

View Full Version : low g question

DSmusic
04-08-2015, 04:16 AM
Hi I have a Kala Ka SCG with the original strings on it. When I bought it I also bought an extra pack of strings which also has the traditional high g.
But I was wondering if I could us one of the other (thicker) strings as a low g. And if so, which one would be best?
I'm going to eventually buy new strings with a low g (if I like it) but right now I'm low on money and don't have any way to get new strings.
Thanks.

UkerDanno
04-08-2015, 04:28 AM
just try tuning your C string to low G and see how it sounds/feels. It might/probably will be floppy...

DSmusic
04-08-2015, 05:09 AM
I could do that but i wouldn't get the full effect. I probably will end up keeping it as a low g anyways.
I just can't get used to the high g. So I'd like to change it completely.
If I do so, will the nut need to be filed at all?
And I still need help which string gauge to use.
Thanks.

Gary52
04-08-2015, 05:19 AM
Try using the C string from the extra pack as a low G. As UkerDanno said, it may be floppy, but you'll get the sound of low G. You may or may not have to widen the slot in the nut.

spookelele
04-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I guess it kinda depends on what kind of music you're playing.
If you're playing guitar stuff, low G is easier to make that sound normal.
But if you're playing stuff written on/for uke high G is needed.

Like... you can't really play Jake's version of guitar gently weeps on low G.
It just sounds wrong and you end up dodging the G string altogether to stop the messed up bass drone.

On the otherhand, like Dust in the Wind, on high G also sounds bad, and sometimes you just want those extra 3 bass notes below C that you can't get on high G.

Anyway, if you're just starting, I'd suggest sticking with the high G for a couple months. You've already got it, and it wont cost you anything, and really, you get used to it.

But.. eventually you might want a second uke when you're playing a wider range of songs because changing back and forth between high and low G is a serious pain in the @$$

stevepetergal
04-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Try a D'Addarrio nyl026w or a Fremont Soloist Low G. If not, any classical guitar string #4 should work for a test run.