low g question

DSmusic

Reaction score
Hi I have a Kala Ka SCG with the original strings on it. When I bought it I also bought an extra pack of strings which also has the traditional high g.
But I was wondering if I could us one of the other (thicker) strings as a low g. And if so, which one would be best?
I'm going to eventually buy new strings with a low g (if I like it) but right now I'm low on money and don't have any way to get new strings.
Thanks.

just try tuning your C string to low G and see how it sounds/feels. It might/probably will be floppy...

I could do that but i wouldn't get the full effect. I probably will end up keeping it as a low g anyways.
I just can't get used to the high g. So I'd like to change it completely.
If I do so, will the nut need to be filed at all?
And I still need help which string gauge to use.
Thanks.

Try using the C string from the extra pack as a low G. As UkerDanno said, it may be floppy, but you'll get the sound of low G. You may or may not have to widen the slot in the nut.

I guess it kinda depends on what kind of music you're playing.
If you're playing guitar stuff, low G is easier to make that sound normal.
But if you're playing stuff written on/for uke high G is needed.

Like... you can't really play Jake's version of guitar gently weeps on low G.
It just sounds wrong and you end up dodging the G string altogether to stop the messed up bass drone.

On the otherhand, like Dust in the Wind, on high G also sounds bad, and sometimes you just want those extra 3 bass notes below C that you can't get on high G.

Anyway, if you're just starting, I'd suggest sticking with the high G for a couple months. You've already got it, and it wont cost you anything, and really, you get used to it.

But.. eventually you might want a second uke when you're playing a wider range of songs because changing back and forth between high and low G is a serious pain in the @$$

Try a D'Addarrio nyl026w or a Fremont Soloist Low G. If not, any classical guitar string #4 should work for a test run.

Top Bottom