kala acp-ctg acacia body, cedar top, concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookelele

Reaction score
Hi.

This is for a Kala slot head, acacia body (laminate), solid cedar top concert uke. The binding and rosette are a tasteful red/orange padauk, and comes with Grover sta-tite 97 series chrome open tuners with butter bean buttons. The tuners are very smooth.

I have had this for about 2 weeks now and its still in like new condition. There is a little bit of a finish flaw inside the slots in the head at the head end of the slots, but that's the way it came when I bought it new and I think that might be "normal" for these, as Katy mentioned something similar in hers. It's not something you'll see unless you're looking for it. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight, but it's really not that bad. I just like full disclosure, because... Karma right? The rest of the body is minty fresh, and shiny.

I thought I'd give concert size a go, but I think I'm just wired for tenor. It's back on the factory default Aquila nylguts. I'll also include a cut/fitted set of Martin m600's that I gave a try in case you also want to give them a try, but I think the aquilas sound better on this uke. The martins were more "clear" but the aquilas were more full. You may think otherwise, but since you get the martins too, you can choose which ever one you like better.

This uke lists at $369, and street prices around $250-260.
Details can be found here: http://kalabrand.com/Models/Kala/SolidCedarTopAcacia/DetailsPageSpruceCedarAcacia.html

I'm asking $195 shipped usps ground. USA addresses only. Sorry to anyone not in the USA, but I want this to be a reliable transaction for both of us, but I can't follow tracking outside the USA with any confidence.

It will come in the original box/foam wrap double boxed and papered for cushion. I will cover tracking/insurance if it doesn't come with your choice of shipping, because that's for my peace of mind as well as yours.

If I could get along with a concert size, I'd definitely keep it but needing to use ring finger where I'm used to using pinky on tenor is melting my brain.

The sound is very large for a concert and the tone is much better than you probably suspect for it's retail price. Seriously... if you own one of these acacia/cedar kala's you know what I mean. It's louder than some of my tenors without barking. The action is default factory setting. I haven't touched the nut or saddle... which says something because I like to fiddle, but it just didn't need to. It came setup great from Kala really.

Anyway, this is a good deal on a great uke. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight if nobody has snatched it. I won't be able to do a video clip until thursday night because I have dinner plans tonight after work, and I don't want to wake up the household late at night recording. Or.. you can checkout Corey's clip, cuz I can't play near that good.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kala/kala-ka-acp-ct-solid-cedar-top-concert-slothead.html

Last edited:
This is a great buy on an exceptional (IMO) uke!

finishflaw_small.jpgfront_small.jpgside_small.jpgback_small.jpg

Theres a slight finish flaw inside the slot head. It's hard to see it, as it looks like grain in the pic. Its kinda hard to see in real life too, but there's a bit in the narrow end of the slot where the finish is not quite smooth. Anyway, outside of that the uke is in very clean condition.

quick update: Someone asked about shipping, and it looks like fedex ground is cheapest at $42. If you're local to the milwaukee area, I can drop it off or we can meet too.

quick update: Someone asked about shipping, and it looks like fedex ground is cheapest at $42. If you're local to the milwaukee area, I can drop it off or we can meet too.

I have shipped several ukes. A concert with a a case is around $20 USPS in the US depending where you ship it. If you ship without a case it should be about $15 to ship in CONUS provided you don't use a box that is too big. USPS is the cheapest.

I have shipped several ukes. A concert with a a case is around $20 USPS in the US depending where you ship it. If you ship without a case it should be about $15 to ship in CONUS provided you don't use a box that is too big. USPS is the cheapest.

Really? when I went online I was spec'ing 30x15x9, and 8 lbs which is about what I think the HMS box is. The usps website said it would be $49.

Did you ship it in just the trapezoid box or was that in a double box?

Anyway, if it shipping is not what I state when it's shipped, I will reimburse the difference. I'm not trying to overcharge anyone.

I'll try packing it up and weighing/measuring tonight to see if I'm just overestimating the size/weight and getting an inaccurate quote from the shippers.

Last edited:
In my experience the USPS site doesn't tend to be very accurate when giving you an on-line estimation. I just shipped a concert uke Priority mail to Hawaii (from Indiana) with a case and the website told me it would be $60. I went to my local office and it was $28 including insurance for $600.

Uke looks amazing! And at a great price! I hope it sells quickly as I don't know that I can hold out much longer... (I don't need another concert... I don't need another concert...:rolleyes:)

Ok I'll concede to people that sell more ukes than me.
Lets say $195 shipped to the US via usps then.
If the shipping ends up being less than $20, I'll send you back the difference.

spookelele--

Good on using that song for your demo! (The Police are one of my all-time fave bands)

Is this the uke you got from newegg? :confused:

spookelele--

Good on using that song for your demo! (The Police are one of my all-time fave bands)

Is this the uke you got from newegg? :confused:

Thanks. It seemed like a reasonable choice. A mix of picking and strumming.

Yes, this is the one I got from newegg 2 weeks ago. It's a great little instrument, but I find myself stumbling sometimes on the smaller neck when I play some stuff that I'm used to playing on tenor. If it doesn't sell, I wont feel bad at all keeping it.

I bought it because of the size poll, and also because hitting 8+ fret spans on tenor is a bit a of stretch for me and I thought it would be easier on the shorter scale. And it is, but I didn't consider that playing with fingers very close would be as much of a challenge as very far apart. If it doesn't sell, I'll just keep trying to get used to the smaller scale, but all my other ukes are tenor, and there's also something to be said about.. not having to change between instruments.

Anyway, whether you get it from me, or somewhere else.. I would recommend this model. It's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom