Nbd!!! Esp ltd lb5jr

LDS714

Reaction score
Picked up a new (to me) bass yesterday. An ESP LTD LB5 Jr. It's a short-scale 5 string with a single P-style pickup.

Scale length is slightly longer than a Strat, but shorter than my old EB3. The neck is very comfortable to me and has a definite taper as it moves from the body to the headstock.

The tuners are a bit, uh, aggressive and IMHO could use a gear ratio that allows more turns of the key per turn of the post.

It's a bit headstock heavy (neck dives) but not as much as an Ibanez Mikro 4-string.

It has a tiny bit more neck relief than I'm used to with my Gibson and Rick, but I believe a tweak on the truss rod will rectify that nicely. The frets are smooth, and amazingly level for a budget instrument. But like I've mentioned before I'm spoiled. My old EB3 spent a year at Gibson right after I bought it and was reworked from top to bottom by their top tech, so any comparison is inherently unfair.

Sound is, ummm, OK. I got it to use with a group that plays heavier, downtuned music (drop D and drop C on the guitars) so although it delivers the sludge required for that gig, it would definitely not be a choice in the studio for anything that requires a lot of articulation in the higher end. Not a good bass IMHO for funk styles, slapping and popping just doesn't have the required bite - now that being said, I did buy it used and haven't put new strings on it yet, this could all change with a fresh set of High Beams.

All in all, I couldn't be happier, especially for what it cost ($129 used) and to me it plays and sounds as good as basses I own and have played that cost ten times as much. Highly recommended if you're someone who likes or needs a shorter scale length and needs the extra bottom or extended range in particular positions provided by the B string.

After I sell the sterling sub ray5 I got in a trade I'm considering the ibanez mikro gsrm25 or perhaps this one. Although from what I understand this has even tighter string spacing than the mikro5. That one has J pickups compared to the esp's single P.
Great price though!

After I sell the sterling sub ray5 I got in a trade I'm considering the ibanez mikro gsrm25 or perhaps this one. Although from what I understand this has even tighter string spacing than the mikro5. That one has J pickups compared to the esp's single P.
Great price though!
The string spacing could be considered tight at the nut, but it opens up nicely by the 5th fret. The nut is actually just slightly narrower than my Ubass.

I was unable to find a Mikro5 to try. I'm really tempted to order one just to try it. Honestly, as nice as this LTD is I'm having second thoughts about whether the expensive stuff is really worth it, LOL! Functional, good playing, decent sounding instruments for under $200? Sign me up! The stuff I used to pick up in the $200-$500 range is now stupid expensive. Stupid little Musicmaster basses that I used to be able to buy all day in the $100 range are going for up to a grand now. It's just ridiculous!

The string spacing could be considered tight at the nut, but it opens up nicely by the 5th fret. The nut is actually just slightly narrower than my Ubass

With a 5 string that spacing at the nut isn't quite as critical as with a 4. Just like when I played viola da gamba, I find that I prefer to play scales, etc on the frets and never play open strings. Just not sure about how well that 'b' string will work on a mikro scale. It's not even that great on a full scale bass.

With a 5 string that spacing at the nut isn't quite as critical as with a 4. Just like when I played viola da gamba, I find that I prefer to play scales, etc on the frets and never play open strings. Just not sure about how well that 'b' string will work on a mikro scale. It's not even that great on a full scale bass.
You know it's odd. My last 5 string was a long scale, 35" IIRC, and the B string was flatulent and undefined. On the little LTD it's much tighter and more defined.

Top Bottom