Hoffman A-style tenor sold on HMS

Andy Chen

Reaction score
It is great to see that Jerry Hoffmann's lovely A-style tenor has been sold via HMS within a day (!) after it had remained unsold at Hoffmann Lutherie website for a while.

I think the smaller custom builders should work with HMS more often. Not only does Andrew and company provide the best service anywhere on the Internet, those guys are also like curators of fine ukes. If you find a uke on HMS, then you can snap it up with no worries.

I would have bought the A-tenor on HMS if I didn't already have the first-ever incarnation of that design.

I think it was actually listed 2 weeks ago.

Jerry's stuff is very out of the box thinking. Clever designs.
Its nice to see builders thinking outside the peanut.

Andrew had mentioned it two weeks ago, but it was listed on The Ukulele Site only a day ago.

I had not cared for the previous A-style designs for purely cosmetic reasons, but this one with the solid top and different neck join was actually aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. And, oh, the tone, was wonderful. I must've listened to it at least 5 times today. That was a heck of an instrument for the money.

Last edited:
Yes, I have always thought Boat Paddle and, now, Hoffmann ukes offer incredible value for money.

I just looked at his A-tenor, based on the A mandolin. I call them mandolele, I had a tenor custom made from Vietnam in a sort of combination A/F style. (Hope this isn't considered a hijack of the thread.)

Mandolele chrome.jpg

Let me just say that I am in awe of Jerry's design and skill. The sound is beautiful for sure, but from a woodworking standpoint it's mind blowing awesome. I could have charged more but Jerry gave me a good deal on it and I just can't charge even close to double what we pay custom builders. They put way more work into it than us. I've been on the other side of it thinking, man they're making bank while we work out butts off. I just want to do good enough to keep doing what we love. I want it to be good for everyone. Jerry said he would shoot to give us 2 instruments a month now from his variety of unique designs. I'm knockin' on wood. Hoffmann is a genius.

As far as what it is, It's definitely a tenor ukulele. I did an initial review a few weeks ago but just got around to setting it up yesterday. So last night we re-recorded it and posted it for sale.

Funny, the person that bought it today wrote in the special instructions "Please do not set up" After I made a new saddle for it, dressed the frets, and chose different strings. Ok, whatever.

what Eddie and I keep listening to...totally dry recording, so nice, the sustaining overtones...beautiful sound IMO. https://vimeo.com/124492257

It's really good to know Jerry will be working with you guys at HMS on a regular basis. I feel he needs a leg-up in terms of publicity for his wonderful work, and The Ukulele Site is just ideal for that.

I'm impressed that Jerry can turn them out that quickly. He must be working hard and has a nice efficient system going on. Good for the potential buyers and you know you'll get a nice setup and thoroughly inspected uke from HMS!!

It's really good to know Jerry will be working with you guys at HMS on a regular basis. I feel he needs a leg-up in terms of publicity for his wonderful work, and The Ukulele Site is just ideal for that.

I agree...if I was a builder and I thought my work as good as I others..i would send my ukes to Andrew..not only does he do great reviews and photos/recording with them...but Andrew gives some advice on what can be done better...no ones sees and plays as many custom ukes as him.....and he does make sure the builder gets what he should for his custom builds...IMO

Jake at Hive is a great example..his work is perfect and he sends a uke to Andrew as soon as he can....:)

my 2 cents

Jerry's work is fantastic from what I can. Hms brings such great exposure, video sound sample, great advice from the people that know. This association should give Jerry more exposure and recognition. He is an innovator for sure. I hope to play/own one of his ukuleles one day.

Hoffman is another great discovery by Andrew at HMS! I own a Boat Paddle/Hoffman ML Tenor that I think is Jerry's best model. It plays like butter and has a full and deep tone. The unique pinned nut (on all Hoffman ukes) allows you to use any string diameter so switching between high and low G strings is a breeze. Jerry has been making wonderful, affordable, player ukes but his high-end work with premium woods combined with his very fine gloss finish makes him one of my favorite builders.

Last edited:
Those ukes that are still for sale on Jerry's website represent even greater value at this point in time. Damn, I wish I had the readies to buy that 5 string baritone.

Those ukes that are still for sale on Jerry's website represent even greater value at this point in time. Damn, I wish I had the readies to buy that 5 string baritone.

You got that right! I have been eyeing the Kayak tenor, but would much prefer it to come with Gotoh UPTs.

Top Bottom