FS: New Concert Spruce/Rosewood Uke by Black Bear

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
SOLD

This is a new concert size uke made of some very nice woods for the body. The top is book matched, top grade Sitka spruce that is light in weight and very even grain lines. The back, sides and head plate are Indian rosewood that I have had for about 20 years. It makes a beautiful unique looking uke. The top and back bindings are Cocobola with a top purfling and sound hole rosette are b/w/b combination of wood strips. The neck is Spanish Cedar wood with a graphite truss rod. The finger board and bridge are ebony.There are 12 frets to the body, 18 total. Frets are slightly larger than small uke frets making playing easy and smooth. MOP dots for fret markers with white side dots. Bone nut and compensated bridge saddle. There is also an ebony end pin. The tuners are the Gotoh UPT 4:1 geared with black knobs knobs. The logo is maple with a black wood inlay. High gloss nitro-lacquer finish, rubbed to a satin smooth touch and look. 15" playing scale. Worth brand BM strings. Low easy playing action and a very full rich mellow sound with excellent highs that spruce is famous for. Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed. Limited lifetime warranty to the original owner. No case but I will double box for safe shipping. Made in the USA. $35 shipping in the USA lower 48 states. Payment by money order, personal check or bank draft only, no Paypal. Email me if you need more
information. Thanks for looking.

Was - $1200, Now $950

Attachments

• 2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-b.jpg
    2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-b.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 427
  • 2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-d.jpg
    2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-d.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 354
  • 2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-a.jpg
    2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-a.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-c.jpg
    2015-4-9 SR Concert uke-c.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
BlackBear,

I have to be honest, you make some very nice looking ukes. I saw the soprano koa you sold recently and now this.
This is a very good looking instrument.

Do you offer any sound samples for your ukes?

Also, do you have any spruce/koa or spruce/??? tenors in the works?
I know a guy on the prowl for a unique yet understated spruce top tenor.

Good luck for a quick purchase on this beauty.

Johnson =)

Last edited:
Thanks for the inquiry. I don't have the equipment to offer a sound sample, sorry. All my ukes come with a 2 day trial period, satisfaction guaranteed. I do not offer a tenor size uke as the market is saturated, I only build concert, soprano and sopranino right now. Thanks again.

BlackBear,

I have to honest, you make some very nice looking ukes. I saw the soprano koa you sold recently and now this.
This is a very good looking instrument.

Do you offer any sound samples for your ukes?

Also, do you have any spruce/koa or spruce/??? tenors in the works?
I know a guy on the prowl for a unique yet understated spruce top tenor.

Good luck for a quick purchase on this beauty.

Johnson =)

Would you consider making a Super Soprano with radius neck?

Still for sale. You won't find a nicer concert uke for the money.

Last edited:
I know from experience that you build beautiful ukes, resonant and easy to play. I'd buy this is a minute if it has a 14 fret neck join.

For this body shape and style, a 14 fret neck would put the bridge in a spot I don't care for. I have built 14 fret necks in the past, even on this concert body, but it didn't do what I wanted for sound, so 12 fret it is. Thanks for the response.

I know from experience that you build beautiful ukes, resonant and easy to play. I'd buy this is a minute if it has a 14 fret neck join.

Can't believe somebody hasn't jumped on this, especially with the revised price. What a great deal. I'm absolutely tapped out uke-wise, or I'd be all over it.

For this body shape and style, a 14 fret neck would put the bridge in a spot I don't care for. I have built 14 fret necks in the past, even on this concert body, but it didn't do what I wanted for sound, so 12 fret it is. Thanks for the response.

Interesting. I know nothing about nothing when it comes to ukulele physics but I always wondered about that. Intuitively, it seems like the bridge should be right in the middle of the fattest part of the uke. Whenever they are placed closer to the waist it seems like the strings just wouldn't be able to move the top enough. Is that true or is it more complicated than that?

Also, this ukulele is just gorgeous. Love the indian rosewood, the top and back binding, the tuners, the ultra clean look. Also love the current price tag. Am less excited by my current bank statement. Someone's gonna get a great deal on this though.

Well, it is a bit more complicated than moving the bridge forward. Some things to consider are the body shape and size, sound hole placement, inside bracing, etc. Many excellent ukes have been built using a 14 fret neck, but as I mentioned, for this body shape I prefer the 12 fret neck which puts the bridge in the ideal location for the best and richest sound IMO.

Interesting. I know nothing about nothing when it comes to ukulele physics but I always wondered about that. Intuitively, it seems like the bridge should be right in the middle of the fattest part of the uke. Whenever they are placed closer to the waist it seems like the strings just wouldn't be able to move the top enough. Is that true or is it more complicated than that?

Also, this ukulele is just gorgeous. Love the indian rosewood, the top and back binding, the tuners, the ultra clean look. Also love the current price tag. Am less excited by my current bank statement. Someone's gonna get a great deal on this though.

Top Bottom