Help me find a way to give back.

Icelander53

Reaction score
I'm working up a new will right now as I don't plan on being around too much longer and I realized that I have a house I don't know what to do with. (it's a nice one)

I'd like to donate it to some ukulele organization that supports and promotes ukulele. The uke has been such a lifesaver for me this past year and a half I want to give back. So can you link me to your favorite uke charities or organizations where I might find a home for a home.

Thanks

I just watched a youtube clip of ukes for children in the hospital. People visit children in the hostopal, give them a uke and teach them how to play.:)I am sure there are a lot of school programs that could us your help, how about one in your neighbourhood. There are many similar programs out there that we are not aware of. That is an incredibley kind jester on your part but do me a favour and don't check out anytime soon. This place would be a lot less enjoyable without you here. Besides we still have to meet up and play some songs together.

Last edited:
What a wonderful idea, @Icelander53, though we hope you stick around a long time.

I had the same thought as @DownUpDave and have been following Ukulele Kids Club, Inc. They are doing nice work at over 500 children's hospitals. You can visit their website here. The CEO's name and contact is on there, too.

There is something magical in this 4 stringed instrument that we love. I can't imagine a better use for ukuleles than making sick kids feel happy.

What exactly do you mean when you say, "...I don't plan on being around much longer?"

Generally?
or specifically?

Sounds a bit troubled to me.

Give your house TO ME.

I won't be around much longer either- 20 years top I think, but the place I'm in now is killing me with noise and abuse. I'm 61 and live on disability, but what I most do for the world is write whatever I can about labor saving , quality of life concerns, social harmony and equity, so they never have wanted to employ me for my journalistic talents in my college major - Journalism Ed.

My theme the past few weeks especially has been the Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter" and your friendly neighborhood TG woman has been very much under severe attack by a town grown hostile- they've tended to build up hostility the longer I live in a place, but it's worse than ever.

I save lives with what I write, I ease pain and I work for social harmony, while most others in this asylum try to stir peoples passions into hostile reactionary anger.

Give your house to me and I will help everyone else live longer. I would also be willing to give out some free ukuleles and offer some instruction, health contingent.

thank you.

What exactly do you mean when you say, "...I don't plan on being around much longer?"

Generally?
or specifically?

That bothered me too, but hopefully it isn't as serious as I read it.

Here's a cool ukulele charity: Survivor Girl Ukulele Band project:
bringing restoration and hope
to survivors of human trafficking
through the healing power of music and love.
http://www.sgub.org/

Generally?
or specifically?

I'm old and I have a painful disease that is progressive. You do the math. One way or another it's likely the fat lady will soon be singing.

Hi Icelander53, I hope your remaining time here will be as happy & comfortable as possible. I agree with everyone who has suggested leaving money to a charity providing ukuleles for children in hospitals: I took part in a gig last month which raised funds for a similar enterprise, providing ukuleles (& other essential items) for orphans in the Ukraine & the photos of the children receiving their ukuleles showed that to be truly worthwhile. If I were considering leaving something to charity I would probably be drawn to those involved with concerns I have experience of though (I have a relative who struggles with mental health & know the benefits of listening to and playing music for people working through these problems, so jumped at the chance of playing my uke with my local jam for patients at a secure mental hospital last Christmas, for example), so are there causes you have personal knowledge of? If there are perhaps there might be a creative way of linking these with ukuleles somehow..?
Warm wishes to you.

That is sad news you are not doing well and I hope you are more comfortable and you live a happy life to the end
That is a very nice gesture and a generous one, can we see the house too
Take care and happy strummings. ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5giI0XFIQ-M&sns=em

Just saw this on NBC news regarding this organization. Very touching.

Yeah, that sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks.

And btw folks I've had a pretty good life in many ways. Death is the natural conclusion to us all and usually there is pain involved. I have no sadness over this or regrets. In fact I'd pretty much like to crawl out of this body and float away into nothing. I see no point in sticking around if it's just for the pain and decay.

As I grow a little older, one of the most amazing/impressive things to me is those who are able to view the end of things with a clear and open mind. It's just such a difficult thing for so many of us. Perhaps I'll be able to understand better as I myself march along that path. At least I'd like to think to.

Hats off to you Icelander53.

Yeah, that sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks.

And btw folks I've had a pretty good life in many ways. Death is the natural conclusion to us all and usually there is pain involved. I have no sadness over this or regrets. In fact I'd pretty much like to crawl out of this body and float away into nothing. I see no point in sticking around if it's just for the pain and decay.

Hugs to you, Icelander53. I hope God proves you wrong and lets you stay here longer than you expect, at a level of comfort that brings you joy and peace, ukeing all the way. That's my vote, anyways.

Top Bottom