Satisfied?

jer

Reaction score
This thread got me to thinking.....

Is there anyone here who is actually satisfied with the uke(s) they have now and has zero intention of buying another?
....Or are you always looking for the next one?

I'm more of the "always searching for the next great thing" type, but I'd rather live in the satisfied camp. It's a lofty goal I know, but maybe achievable someday.

I'm not saying one way or another is a bad thing. I think it's a personal choice.

I will say I think instrument forums are definitely major fuel for UAS.

It'll be interesting to see the responses here, so thanks in advance to anyone who participates.

Is there anyone here who is actually satisfied with the uke(s) they have now...?

Um... yes and no? :)

The two ukes I play the most are two that I bought fairly early on (a reentrant Kamaka pineapple and a low-G Kamaka concert). They're keepers, and the truth is, if I had no other ukes and had no means of buying others, I'd be satisfied - I could get by happily with them for the rest of my life. In fact, when I have too many ukes (at present, 4, with one incoming soon and one outgoing soon - so, still 4) I get stressed out about the ones that aren't getting played! Anything more than 3 is "too many" for me.

But as my playing evolves, I'm open to trying new things. Most of the time I'm not tempted at all, but every now and again something catches my attention and if the time is right, I go for it. Right now my recent discoveries and obsessions are Gotoh UPT tuners, super sopranos, and ukes that have a 14-fret join rather than the more typical 12. Fortunately there aren't many that fit that criteria so that helps keep my UAS to a minimum.

In twenty or so months I've been playing ukulele, I've gone through about sixteen ukes, all the same configuration; tenor cutaway, reentrant with electronics. In the last couple of months I've found I'm very satisfied with four of my ukes, so I've been selling off the others. I do keep perusing the internet just to see what's out there, but nothing has made me go for another.

That's not to say I've squelched UAS, it's actually transitioned to small bass, which I've been playing for about 5 months. I'm up to four basses (three I play, one I messed up and put away for now), and I'm contemplating having two more made just because I like the idea of taking an existing bass and making a very small scale out of it.

Rickenbacker bass build700.jpg

Violin bass700.jpg

jer asked:
Is there anyone here who is actually satisfied with the uke(s) they have now and has zero intention of buying another?

I'm totally satisfied with all the ukuleles I've bought (even the cheapo "antique" ... as a wall-hanger) and don't anticipate getting rid of any of them, they've all got a place in "the scheme of things" and all get used, mostly for different styles of music ... but there is a gap for a low-G tuned instrument :confused:

I've owned the same guitar since the '70's ... a blonde J200 "look-a-like" ... beautiful, thought I'd never need another guitar, but times and styles change and I've now got the space (and the wallet) for a 12-string and a small-bodied "travel" guitar and a nylon-strung "parlour" guitar.

So ... satisfied? YES!! but open to suggestion ;)

For some, the UAS may not always be about finding the one ,or finding the best to play, or not being satisfied with the ukes you have, but more about experiencing and enjoying different ukes, and also finding enjoyment in collecting as a hobby, as well as playing. Like collecting other art objects or any collectibles, there is an enjoyment in collecting different items and enjoyment in the process of searching, owning, trading, collecting, discussing, in itself. So, collecting ukes can be part of the uke enjoyment, just like playing ukes, or just like the social aspects of talking, joining, meeting other ukulele lovers.

Just my 2 cents based upon my own UAS. After just receiving my dream uke, I still find interest in other ukes, and even just placed an order for another uke. So, my UAS is still going. And it is not because my dream uke is not my favorite or any sort of dissatisfaction with it, for it is my ultimate uke. But, my UAS is more about the things mentioned above.

I'm more of the "always searching for the next great thing" type, but I'd rather live in the satisfied camp. It's a lofty goal I know, but maybe achievable someday.

I'm not saying one way or another is a bad thing. I think it's a personal choice.

I will say I think instrument forums are definitely major fuel for UAS.

It'll be interesting to see the responses here, so thanks in advance to anyone who participates.

I'm about 98% satisfied with my ukes. I have about 10 and only really play 4 with any regularity. I do not need anymore. But there is one that I still lust after. One day I'll likely spring for it.

...I'm contemplating having two more made just because I like the idea of taking an existing bass and making a very small scale out of it.

Rickenbacker bass build700.jpg

Violin bass700.jpg

So, are these drawings of your ideas? They're both beautiful! (Beatles fan?) The "Rick" looks like the 4005. Did they make that one in blue?

Last edited:
At this point in time I am satisfied! Can't guarantee that will last forever, but I've owned 13 different ukes in the 3 1/2 years I've been playing. At this point I have 7 and the Luna is still for sale.

I have felt nearly no desire to buy another ukulele since I got my custom Talsma. The only exception is the thought of getting another almost identical to it. But, I'd have to get rid of my KoAloha to do that.

For some, the UAS may not always be about finding the one ,or finding the best to play, or not being satisfied with the ukes you have, but more about experiencing and enjoying different ukes, and also finding enjoyment in collecting as a hobby, as well as playing. Like collecting other art objects or any collectibles, there is an enjoyment in collecting different items and enjoyment in the process of searching, owning, trading, collecting, discussing, in itself. So, collecting ukes can be part of the uke enjoyment, just like playing ukes, or just like the social aspects of talking, joining, meeting other ukulele lovers.

Just my 2 cents based upon my own UAS. After just receiving my dream uke, I still find interest in other ukes, and even just placed an order for another uke. So, my UAS is still going. And it is not because my dream uke is not my favorite or any sort of dissatisfaction with it, for it is my ultimate uke. But, my UAS is more about the things mentioned above.
This analysis sounds spot on from my point of view. Except for the first factory made uke I ever bought I was never unhappy with any of the instruments I sold over the past year or so but the joy of a new and different voice to experience will probably see me acquire new ukes in the future.

I would have to say that I am relatively satisfied with my two Beaver Creeks. (Soprano and Concert) May not be high class, but they are the only two I'm taking on an upcoming move.

Very well put. I am 100% satisfied with the ukes that I have, yet I would hate to give up buying and selling ukes. While I don't think of myself as a collector because I really like to play the ukes - the way that you described it is exactly how I feel - so maybe I am a collector. I also like to experience different sounds and different feelings that come with different ukes. But I also love the searching and and talking about ukes. I really don't feel that it comes out of any feelings of dissatisfaction. I'm also way beyond the point that I think another uke will make me a better player. My business partner owns four sports cars and belongs to car clubs and reads car forums. He makes fun of my ukes, but as hobbies go ukes are pretty cheap.

Good posts. It's neat to see everyone's point of view on this. Y'all are bringing up some interesting points.
I too have enjoyed trying out all kinds of instruments over the years. I think it's not as fun as it used to be for me though, so I've slowed down a lot compared to how I used to be. My rule has pretty much always been that I have to sell at least one when I try something new. I've been going back and forth on my LoPrinzi soprano as to whether to sell it or not. I listed it for about a day, then took it down..but it may be going back up for sell. Which brings me to my next thing...I usually end up with nice instruments. I do my research before buying and buy from only reputable dealers. Pretty much everything I trade or sale has been quality stuff that I just want to let go of and try something else. I've been known to let go of something and then buy back a similar one at a later date too.
The only problem with that is when there is a price jump. I had one of the Koaloha sopranos that you could get from Elderly Instruments for $300 back in the day. From what I've seen, those have doubled and then some in price compared to back then. Of course that's great for Koaloha because they make a fine product and have no problems selling them at that price. They seem like a great group of people too.

There was mention of "the hunt" too. I also have really enjoyed just hunting around and seeing what is available and talking and dreaming about ukes. So I can understand that perspective too.

Satisfied? Absolutely. The Blackbird Clara, Kanilea Island Tattoo, Koaloha Opio Soprano and Risa Stick soprano are dreams more than come true. These are my most recent purchases. And yet, each of the ukes I purchased earlier remains special to me. My time is divided between two houses, so spring through fall (when the heat is off), my ukes are not all in one place.

Would I ever buy another? Well, I suppose if I did it would be a tribute to the love I have for what I have. The potential purchase would have to in some way be different from the ones I have.
It would have to win me over.

Mid -June I'll make my first trip to Hawaii. Game on.

My husband took my KPK tenor away from me, so I only have two of my own, an Ohana soprano and concert. I've ordered a BBC and it should be here in a week or so. I'm satisfied with what I have, and the Clara I consider my Holy Grail of ukedom. I don't see needing another ukulele unless I am so taken aback by the greatness of the Clara that I decide to get another one, so I will have a low and high G. I will still keep my two Ohanas. I don't see me shopping for myself again for a pretty long while. My husband wants another ukulele, but doesn't want to admit it, and I'm going to help make that happen.

Satisfied?

Current Ana'Ole tenor definitely.

UAS? Of course. Have a Super Concert in my sights, either another Ana'Ole or KoAloha. I have a gear acquisition tendency with guitars, so ukes should be the same. ;) I'm relatively new to the uke world, about 1 1/2 years Mahalo Soprano and the tenor above, so UAS is expected I guess.

Yes, no, and yes...

For my playing ability and the situations I currently find myself playing, my nice 100-quid Korala is all the uke I'll ever need. That doesn't stop me searching for the next one to buy if I find myself with a bit of extra money though. But in order to justify it to the missus it'll have to something different or be a bit quirky.

So my next uke, eventually, will either be a tenor to switch to Low-G so I can have High-G on my concert, a six-string, or a solid body steel-string (which I plan on building myself hopefully).

Of course I have a small "If I won the lottery" shopping list...

for Kohanmike

Hay Kohanmike, Can you say me what for a wonderful bass is the lower in the foto, with Viol shape?

Last edited:
....Or are you always looking for the next one?QUOTE]

Actually satisfied and not looking.
I went through GAS (guitar AS) and learned from that. No more. It added up, for me, to less time learning and playing and more time surfing for new stuff.
Ukulele experience: I bought a middle $ KALA with advice from a pro. Tried it and found I loved the uke. Bought a Collings UT3K. Loved the uke even more. Bought a pink soprano uke for my grandaughter. My uke collection is complete. I take the KALA where the climate may be rough. I play the Collings all the time. My granddaughter is playing her pink beauty. We play and sing together. Life is complete.
No UAS. Be here now.
However I completely understand UAS and am not trying to sound high and mighty here. I really loved the day I received the next guitar. I just needed to chill. That's my quirky personality.

Top Bottom