Did anyone see those D'angelico soprano archop ukuleles on HMS?

kissing

Reaction score
I saw a listing and video of an awesome D'angelico soprano archtop ukulele on HMS the other day.

I was struck with UAS (although probably can't afford one at the moment). But I did nevertheless enjoy looking at the pictures and watching the demo video.

But now it's gone!
Did they simply sell very fast?

edit: found a video on Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/119684476

I kept watching them and hiding my wallet. :) They are beautiful, appear well-made, and sound great. I think if the spruce/maple one had stayed up longer, I would have bought it, so good thing somebody snapped it right up.

Last edited:
Confession: I snagged the last one (mahogany, natural finish). I planned on buying the sunburst, but I was out of the country and someone beat me to the punch.

Confession: I snagged the last one (mahogany, natural finish). I planned on buying the sunburst, but I was out of the country and someone beat me to the punch.

They're all gorgeous, but that sunburst was just a "WOW"! And priced like it, too...

I am thoroughly jealous. Congrads!

A little pricey, but they appear to be worth every penny. I drool every time I see a picture of one.

I will post my thoughts, when I receive it. I have another trip coming up, so I may not actually lay hands on it until I get back.

What are the stock strings as played on the video?

Worth Browns?

Could someone also tell me what that weird metal knob thing on the headstock does?

It's called a finial, and it does nothing but look pretty. The finial has been part of the D'Angelico design since John D'Angelico was hand-building guitars on Kenmare Street in NY.

Could someone also tell me what that weird metal knob thing on the headstock does?

Complete clueless amateur guess.... could it be a truss rod of sorts?

EDIT: Never mind then.

Last edited:
So, my D'Angelico is sitting in a FedEx office in Massachusetts, and I am 9,300 miles away for the next week... bummer.

It's called a finial, and it does nothing but look pretty. The finial has been part of the D'Angelico design since John D'Angelico was hand-building guitars on Kenmare Street in NY.

True, and it's a sculpted ornament: fancy, rather than functional.

Actually the name comes from architecture, where it's used for those giant stone flowerpots on the top of buildings. D'Angelico was the most famous user of finials on instruments, but not the first one. Some claim that on lutes and early guitars it could be used as a strap pin, but I wouldn't try that. It certainly can't be connected to the truss rod, since the headstock always tilts backwards and it would take some joint to take a twisting movement over an angle, even such a shallow one.

Finally got home and collected my D'Angelico from FedEx. I am tinkering with different strings right now, but my initial impressions are very good...

Top Bottom