What to do?

Osprey

Reaction score
I was attending a Folkfest yesterday at a local Music store. Our Uke group was one of the acts. The had a raffle to raise money for a kids music program and I won a mandolin. I like to listen to a good mandolin player now and again but I don't see myself being that player. I think the store owner will let me exchange it for a Uke of equal value which is in the neighborhood of $450-470. They carry Kala, Córdoba, Eastman. I play tenors mostly. Any thoughts on a brand and model?

Since it's "found money," why not discussing the matter directly with the store owner.? The mandolin was probably old stock that wasn't moving, so its value to the store owner may be solely at wholesale cost rather than its profitability. That being the situation, if the mandolin retails at the store at $450, the store owner's value is probably somewhere around $250-300. Since the store owner is taking back an instrument s/he may now see as a store wallhanger, the trade value is not high. If one can get the store owner to take the mandolin back at close to "wholesale value" and trade for a uke at the uke's "wholesale value," then it's a sweet deal.

Another option is to list the mandolin for sale at roughly 75-80% of its retail value (regional shipping included) at sites like the Mandolin Cafe and Mando Hangout which have classified sub-pages for members. That way, if the mandolin sells, there is cash-in-hand to buy a desired ukulele from a UU sponsor or from the UU marketplace.

Last edited:
It's a brand new mandolin it was donated by Eastman for this raffle. I did talk briefly with the store owner, he indicated he would work with me on a trade. His store does a lot for our Uke group so I like to support them as much as possible

My Kala solid cedar top is my best playing and sounding uke and also gets really good reviews. It was recommended to me by both Mim via an email and Brad at Anacapa/U-Space. A basic tenor sells for about $260. I got the cutaway with electronics for $360 and is my go-to uke, even above my custom built.

I have a baseline Kala that I bought for our ukulele group and it is a wonderful tenor ukulele, especially for the money. I'd love to play one with a little better appointments. You should play your way through the store and find the "one" for you.

I have a Kala laminate tenor and a Córdoba tenor with a solid spruce top. I was thinking about an all solid wood maybe the Kala tenth Anniversary model. It should be out soon

Considering the circumstances, you could do worse than trading for one of those Eastman tenor ukes. You may get your best deal with the least amount of problems that way.

I'd recommend the Kala Acacia and the Kala ATP5 (the 5 string tenor version of the cedar top ukulele Kohanmike suggested).

Well I have done it. I traded in the mandolin for a Kala, Tenth Anniversary all solid wood Acacia Tenor. I kicked in a few bucks but it is worth it. The "Sweet Pea" ukulele should be here by early May. Now the wait is on
Cliff

Well I have done it. I traded in the mandolin for a Kala, Tenth Anniversary all solid wood Acacia Tenor. I kicked in a few bucks but it is worth it. The "Sweet Pea" ukulele should be here by early May. Now the wait is on
Cliff
Oooo, just looked at this model and listened to the demo on the Uke Republic video. Nice choice :cool:

The Uke Republic demo and the one on The Ukulele Site convinced me. I feel that Kala will do good quality control on their Anniversary model
Thanks everyone for all their comments. I will post pics when I get it
Cliff

Top Bottom