Necessity is the mother of invention

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
Another beautiful day here in sunny San Jose, perfect conditions for those of us not having the luxury of a spraying booth. Not wanting a repeat performance of my drop test which occurred last time when using a pencil pushed into the bolt hole of the sound box as a holder, I decided there had to be a better way. Whatever it was, it had to come from things that i had at home, as I didn't want to waste time going shopping! What I came up with was a seldom used tripod, a long bolt to replace the short one attached to the tripod, a couple of nuts and a wing nut that I used inside the sound box to hold it firmly in place. I now had a fully adjustable jig which I could raise and lower, turn, tilt as needed! Although I wasn't too concerned about over spray on the tripod, I was surprised to find that there was hardly any anyway. A successful spraying morning! I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this Idea, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Bob

Attachments

• Spraying jig 3.jpg
    Spraying jig 3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Spraying jig 4.jpg
    Spraying jig 4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Spraying jig 5.jpg
    Spraying jig 5.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Spraying jig.jpg
    Spraying jig.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 117
It's easy enough to put a handle on a bolt-on neck for spraying, but putting the body on a tripod is genius. The tripod would really shine for applying Tru-oil or any of the wipe on/off finishes. I'm going to steal (um, I mean borrow) this idea at once. I even have a flea market tripod sitting ready. Thanks, Bob!

Thanks, guys, it seems I've finally contributed something useful to the board!

great idea.

Put some weights on the tripod though!

Great idea! You see tripods at yard sales and flea markets all the time. Short money.
Thanks

I plan on making a better holder than the little bolt that I used. I will drill and tap a hole in each end of a 6" x 1/2" aluminium rod, one end will screw onto the original camera mounting attachment and the other will accept the ukulele mounting bolt after it has passed through the uke, making it far easier to attach than fiddling with a wing nut. It also saves modifying the threaded portion of the tripod camera mount. Does this make sense? If I had a suitable rod lying around at the time, I would have used this method in the first place.
Adding weights to the tripod would be a good idea, however my tripod seemed pretty steady. If I was spraying a guitar, well, that's a diiferent story!

Bob

Top Bottom