James Hill Ukulele Teacher Certification program- Anyone know anything about it?

Colonel Uke

Reaction score
My wife is an elementary music teacher and is starting a uke in the schools program. She saw the James Hill teacher certification program and was wondering if anyone had gone through it, or knew anything about it. Any help, or does anyone know of any other uke teacher certification programs?

http://www.jhui.org/certification/index.htm

I've looked into it and would like to be certified. I think I could do all the levels pretty much now, but that is a lot of money, and the travel from Alabama to Canada would be another big expense. Just not in the cards right now. I wish they would offer it in Nashville.

I've signed up for Phase 1 in July 2015 in Toronto, Canada. It's just a two day workshop. Well, I live in Ottawa, Canada which is about 4 hours away (45 minutes in a plane) and I also have friends in Toronto so will spend the week there.

I know one woman who has almost completed Phase 1 and has already signed up for Phase 2. I asked her numerous questions about the program and her answers convinced me to sign up. I was interested in that program since it started. I bought the 3 books and CD for Phase 1. The JH method is based on reading music and traditional theory so if you don't know that, this is not for you. You need to be able to read a basic melody line in the keys of C and F. That's not as hard as you might think. Learning to read the musical staff is the trickiest part but once you're over that, it's a piece of cake for simple stuff.

I like the idea of this program because it will fill in the gaps for me, never having had uke lessons before (except for a short George Formby workshop). Yes, I took years of classical piano and guitar lessons (reading sheet music) but never a theory based method on the uke. The closest that got was buying the Ukulele Methods 1 and 2 from Hal Leonard by Lil' Rev which are great I might add. I also now have the three method books from Alfred Publishing edited by Daniel Ho. Those are fantastic books, and theory based as well. After coming back from my ukulele journey to Hawaii tour and having learned so much from Kimo and Roy Sakuma's workshops, I thought this would be something to work on to enhance my knowledge of the uke.

I will do a video about my comments on the JH workshop in late July. You can't film anything in the workshop for uploading, but I can talk about my experience in a video of my own on YouTube. In that way, people might know better what to expect. As for me and my goals, this is right up my alley.

Petey

I've signed up for Phase 1 in July 2015 in Toronto, Canada. It's just a two day workshop. Well, I live in Ottawa, Canada which is about 4 hours away (45 minutes in a plane) and I also have friends in Toronto so will spend the week there.

I know one woman who has almost completed Phase 1 and has already signed up for Phase 2. I asked her numerous questions about the program and her answers convinced me to sign up. I was interested in that program since it started. I bought the 3 books and CD for Phase 1. The JH method is based on reading music and traditional theory so if you don't know that, this is not for you. You need to be able to read a basic melody line in the keys of C and F. That's not as hard as you might think. Learning to read the musical staff is the trickiest part but once you're over that, it's a piece of cake for simple stuff.

I like the idea of this program because it will fill in the gaps for me, never having had uke lessons before (except for a short George Formby workshop). Yes, I took years of classical piano and guitar lessons (reading sheet music) but never a theory based method on the uke. The closest that got was buying the Ukulele Methods 1 and 2 from Hal Leonard by Lil' Rev which are great I might add. I also now have the three method books from Alfred Publishing edited by Daniel Ho. Those are fantastic books, and theory based as well. After coming back from my ukulele journey to Hawaii tour and having learned so much from Kimo and Roy Sakuma's workshops, I thought this would be something to work on to enhance my knowledge of the uke.

I will do a video about my comments on the JH workshop in late July. You can't film anything in the workshop for uploading, but I can talk about my experience in a video of my own on YouTube. In that way, people might know better what to expect. As for me and my goals, this is right up my alley.

Petey

Looking forward to hearing about it!

Thanks. My philosophy in life is about discovery, and sharing that discovery like a bottle of good wine.

Petey

Thank you so much for sharing. I have the books you spoke of in your Hawaii video and they have been good. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and share about the whole experience.

Thank you so much for sharing. I have the books you spoke of in your Hawaii video and they have been good. I look forward to hearing what you have to say and share about the whole experience.

Thanks. Since starting to play the uke in 2006 on a whim, I find it fascinating how far I've gone to learn about and explore this instrument. The ukulele has a point of origin, a kind of Big Bang so I've amazed how us uke players want to get to Hawaii and learn about its Madeira origins as well. When I played the guitar, I didn't feel like going to Spain though I wasn't a flamenco player. Likewise with the piano, I didn't to investigate its origins, though I do fancy the harpsichord. The ukulele has this definite beginning in the not so recent past and I think we all love knowing about that. And Hawaii has a very nice oceanic climate and amazing trees!

Frankly, I was never much interested how a uke was made (even my Martin ones), until I visited Kamaka and Ko'aloha in Hawaii. That made me appreciate the instrument even more! I didn't realize how a small amount of wood can create such a fantastic instrument of fun.

Those 2013 Alfred method books are so comprehensive. I wish I would have had those back in 2006! I would have SAVED MYSELF years of unanswerable technique questions. No one to help me back then. The accompanying videos take the cake!

Peter

Ahem, if I may butt in... which books?

I'll post some links. Give me 30 minutes. I used to be a librarian (my previous job) so no wonder I started collecting as many ukulele method books as I could find since 2006. When I was in Waikiki in February 2015, one of the guys on our ukulele group tour wanted to buy a ukulele at the store Pua Pua. He wanted me to go with him to check out the uke first. So, we went for a stroll to the shop, and checked out his uke. After testing it, I made a bee-line to the small sheet music section beside the cash not expecting much. I first saw the usual stuff, but then those three method books by Alfred Publishing stood out to me. Wow! I scooped them up in a second. Hey, I could be cynical and cheap and go buy them on amazon or the book depository later for cheaper, but what's the point of that??? I love serendipitous moments and uncovering those in Hawaii in that small shop made me smile. I was also helping the other guy with his uke evaluation. I could care less if they cost a few dollars more. The point was that they were souvenirs and I could bring them back to my hotel room and enjoy them right away along with my Kamaka long-necked pineapple uke and some New Zealand white wine. hehe

Peter

Last edited:
Strange...

Alfred Music lists a single volume "Complete Ukulele Method" with an accompanying CD that covers the three books (Beginning, Intermediate, and Mastering Ukulele).

http://www.alfred.com/Products/The-Complete-Ukulele-Method-Complete-Edition--00-43630.aspx

Though, that doesn't include any DVDs! What's the point? I bought the three books separately and each has a DVD with video examples. I believe the mp3s are on the DVDs as well. Way better to have the DVDs, believe you me, than just an audio CD. It's great seeing Daniel Ho in action on the uke. Though on the Advanced DVD, it doesn't follow the book in order of lessons. It jumps around at one point, but it's all there.

Here are the ISBN (International Standard Book Numbers) so you can look them up in any site where you like to buy books or order them from your local bookstore even.

1) Beginning Ukulele 978-0-7390-9548-5
2) Intermediate Ukulele 978-0-7390-9549-2
3) Advanced 978-0-7390-9554-6

Peter

Strange...

Alfred Music lists a single volume "Complete Ukulele Method" with an accompanying CD that covers the three books (Beginning, Intermediate, and Mastering Ukulele).

http://www.alfred.com/Products/The-Complete-Ukulele-Method-Complete-Edition--00-43630.aspx

Though, that doesn't include any DVDs! What's the point? I bought the three books separately and each has a DVD with video examples. I believe the mp3s are on the DVDs as well. Way better to have the DVDs, believe you me, than just an audio CD. It's great seeing Daniel Ho in action on the uke. Though on the Advanced DVD, it doesn't follow the book in order of lessons. It jumps around at one point, but it's all there.

Here are the ISBN (International Standard Book Numbers) so you can look them up in any site where you like to buy books or order them from your local bookstore even.

1) Beginning Ukulele 978-0-7390-9548-5
2) Intermediate Ukulele 978-0-7390-9549-2
3) Advanced 978-0-7390-9554-6

Peter

Yes, I noticed that when I ordered mine. I ordered them separately anyway, because they will lay flatter on the stand with smaller bindings, but had to wonder why they didn't include DVD's in the mega book.

Again, thanks for turning me on to these. They are working out really well.

Last edited:
Always on the lookout for quality method books for my students. I'll definitely check out the beginners volume.

Petey

I'm good on reading music and traditional theory and I can pick out melody lines. I may need to go back to the website and look at the overview for the three levels again to make sure that I'm correct about the requirements.

Yes, I noticed that when I ordered mine. I ordered them separately anyway, because they will lay flatter on the stand with smaller bindings, but had to wonder why they didn't include DVD's in the mega book.

Again, thanks for turning me on to these. They are working out really well.

You're welcome. I'm happy to help. YouTube videos are great for learning "focused techniques" on the fly, but you can't beat a great method book (with a good teacher if possible). Not sure how Skype lessons work with a method book. hehe

You're totally right about the books laying flatter on a stand. Good call!

Peter

Always on the lookout for quality method books for my students. I'll definitely check out the beginners volume.

It might look a little overwhelming at first and it's very serious business, but it is just the medicine required for a quality uke beginner's method. It has TAB in most cases. Though, it gets very advanced by the end. There is such an amazing page where they tell you about the different right hand strumming techniques (thumb, pointer finger, pick, etc...). I needed that back in 2006!

Though, if you want to teach your students to pick melody lines, you might first want to go with the Hal Leonard Volume 1 then go to this book.

Peter

I'm good on reading music and traditional theory and I can pick out melody lines. I may need to go back to the website and look at the overview for the three levels again to make sure that I'm correct about the requirements.

Meeting all the criteria for any of the three levels is not a prerequisite to jump to any JH level with a carte blanche. You have to start from Phase 1. Get ready for basic training in the ukulele trenches, my dear. hehe No fast-tracking. No get-out-of-jail cards for free. hehe

I will start at Phase 1 and learn as a newborn uked baby. hehe I will soak in any bits and pieces I might have missed in my auto-didactic apprenticeship of the uke since 2006.

Anyway, I've got nuttin' better to do with my life over the next three years since I turned 50! ;-) LOL hehehe

Petey

Meeting all the criteria for any of the three levels is not a prerequisite to jump to any JH level with a carte blanche. You have to start from Phase 1. Get ready for basic training in the ukulele trenches, my dear. hehe No fast-tracking. No get-out-of-jail cards for free. hehe

I will start at Phase 1 and learn as a newborn uked baby. hehe I will soak in any bits and pieces I might have missed in my auto-didactic apprenticeship of the uke since 2006.

Anyway, I've got nuttin' better to do with my life over the next three years since I turned 50! ;-) LOL hehehe

Petey

Thank you darlin!

Top Bottom