PDA

View Full Version : Where's the most interesting place you've played?

spookelele
04-13-2015, 05:53 AM
Another hobby of mine is photography, and today, one of the groups I follow had this pic posted.

So... what's the craziest place you've noodled?
Got Pix?

Maybe we can all get inspired to get out there more.

Jon Moody
04-13-2015, 05:58 AM
Strictly on ukulele, there isn't any place out of the ordinary that I've played at, that I'd consider "interesting" per se.

On bass, one of my favorite places was a monastery that was built in the 1600s (I think?) in France (was touring Europe with a symphony) for two nights, where we recorded a live album. There is something very sacred about playing music in a place that is that old. I also got to be an artist-in-residence at the Telluride Jazz Festival. Telluride as a town is just AMAZING in terms of views and landscape.

wrestlingmatt51
04-13-2015, 06:30 AM
I guess in Israel and Turkey. Just in hotel rooms and airports, not that interesting I guess. But hey, it was across the world for me!

Mooh
04-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Gigs?

School principal's conference in a big city hotel/convention centre. Totally lifeless audience.

Dance studio. Trained dancers, fun to watch.

Museum lecture halls. Studious audience.

Biker club. Attentive and appreciative audience, free food and drink, volunteer roadies.

Provincial Park. Early start and finish, all ages, discreet drinking.

Arts and crafts festival. Open air, weird questions like "Is that a banjo?" when it was a mandolin.

Non gigs?

National and provincial parks, forests, boats and canoes, campgrounds, cottages, beaches, back seat of a car on a road trip, etc.

I once had a non-music day job in school maintenance where I refused a transfer to a different building because there wasn't a good piano there. When the higher-ups expressed their disgust I exercised my union right to stay where I was...unpaid night shift meal breaks would be boring without a piano. On the whole they must have liked me as they rehired me twice, for decidedly non-musical reasons.

CanuckUkeMaui
04-13-2015, 07:48 AM
More beautiful than interesting...the cove across from the Old Maui Lu Resort in North Kihei Maui

mds725
04-13-2015, 08:26 AM
These are probably not really unusual places, but I played the Dennis Kamakahi song "Koke'e" at Koke'e State Park in Kaua'i. last summer, a group of us took the Ferry from San Francisco to Angel Island. We played on the ferry and on the island.

bobinde
04-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Playing guitar and ukulele at my stepdaughter's wedding.

On the beach, Ko Olina on Oahu. Then, after the reception, a few of us went up to Cholo's (Just down the street from HMS!) and drank margaritas and sang/played in the parking lot.

I guess that was more weird than interesting, but . . .

And we did have a lot of good response from the tourists.

bobibde

Ukejenny
04-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Nothing dramatic for me. I picked up a Kala KA-T for the UAB and was playing it in the store as we walked around and shopped. Got some strange looks and a lot of smiles.

Rllink
04-13-2015, 10:16 AM
I was thinking about it while I waited for that picture to come up, as I have a slow connection, but as soon as I saw it, I though, "I have nothing."

spookelele
04-13-2015, 10:25 AM
I was thinking about it while I waited for that picture to come up, as I have a slow connection, but as soon as I saw it, I though, "I have nothing."

It's ok. I have nothing as crazy as that pic either. But.. I'm thinking I might change that a bit. The idea of going places and playing in beautiful spots is incredibly appealing to me and I was hoping to get some ideas from the UU community.

stevepetergal
04-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Sweltering heat in Bahir Dar.

igorthebarbarian
04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
on my toilet!

Gillian
04-13-2015, 07:47 PM
On the Golden Princess' Alaska Ukulele Cruise, in the Skywalker Club, waaay up on Deck 17, watching dolphins jump in the ship's wake. Wonderful.

itsme
04-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Definitely the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the Music Center in downtown L.A. I feel classy being able to say I played there. Well, I had a few friends with me. :p

http://i.imgur.com/T27VV65.jpg

bonesigh
04-14-2015, 07:59 AM
In the pool........under the water (:

ProfChris
04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
One of the dining rooms in the UK House of Commons. Though technically it was an after-dinner speech with (requested) uke additions. I took my Timms so that Ken could boast that his uke had been played in Parliament.

Ukuleleblues
04-14-2015, 01:47 PM
In the back of a pedal powered rickshaw/taxi in downtown Charleston. Got stopped by a train and played 3-4 songs for a large group of tourists also waiting on the train. Of course we played The Charleston. Did it on the way to and from the market to the aquarium and back.

actadh
04-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Strawberry Fields in Central Park - played Imagine on my Silvertone.

Freeda
04-14-2015, 02:25 PM
While parasailing. The pic has been posted here a few times. Not sure where it is.

ksiegel
04-14-2015, 03:03 PM
In a wonderful yarn shop called Purlesence, in Sunnyvale, CA with Dave and Mel (TCK & TCW), in front of Ukulele Source in San Jose, CA with TCK and Gary Yoshida, and for The Little White Uke around The World, playing "The E-RI-E Canal" in part of the old Erie Canal bed, just outside Schenectady.

I'll play wherever I don't get kicked out.

-Kurt

janeray1940
04-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Ukulele Christmas carols at the then-newly-clothing-optional park at Market and Castro in San Francisco, although I guess it wasn't the place that was interesting as much as it was the audience.

(Erm... I opted FOR clothing. And lots of it, since it was downright freezing to a Southern Californian!)

Tigeralum2001
04-14-2015, 03:25 PM
I don't know if it is interesting, but it is remote... Shipwreck Beach on Lanai. 78470

AJ Hill
04-14-2015, 06:03 PM
I played at the Byron Bay Bluesfest ,,,,in a miniature fire truck my task was to raise a bit of money so I drove around the site parked up ,,,,,put a collection tin out and played a few tunes I made just under $300.00 and then just as I finished a fella by the name of Sam Cutler ,,,,ex Rolling Stones tour manager ,,asked if I had a spare cigarette for his rather young and very good looking wife ,,,well I found one pretty quick

greenie44
04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
So far, along the bank of the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. But I have a few interesting spots coming up.

hollisdwyer
04-14-2015, 07:30 PM
At Katz's Deli in New York City for a reunion of friends who, for some, hadn't seen each other for 50 years.

Luke El U
04-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Music China (like NAMM in America) in Shanghai, October 2013. I played on many and even bought some great ukes. But best of all, I got to meet and talk with this great ukulele player and caring human being for the second time within a year.78494

drbekken
04-14-2015, 11:52 PM
https://youtu.be/dq4E24bxkik

At the Arctic Circle.
Brr.

Hippie Dribble
04-15-2015, 12:15 AM
What an awesome thread this has become! Nowhere of amazing weirdness for me except I did get to play uke with Bruddah Stan, geetee and canoe lady on the Big Island and on Maui last year which was a real thrill for a Tasmanian hermit. Aside from that I've played a heap in hospitals and nursing homes to captive audiences, busking at markets, in the bath and always in the car at traffic lights and straight bits. Oh, and of course, the office is where I do my best work. :p

KaraUkey
04-15-2015, 12:46 PM
"Busking" as a preliminary to the successful Guinness world record busking attempt on Valentines day in Brisbane 2015. 78502

McX
04-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Only place I've ever played in front of anyone was a hall full of classical Suzuki students and their parents for a "Parents Talent" night at my 10-year old daughter's annual camp. Despite my only musical talent being I practice every day, I did okay and actually got a shocking (to me, anyway) burst of applause when I was done playing my piece (which was actually a part of my self-made daily practice routine that I had worked into a sort of song). For the next two days, I had kids (and parents!) walking up to me telling me they enjoyed my piece. I felt it quite an honor and doubled for me because I respect the musicians in that group so much.

Now I'm "the Ukulele Man", and the pressure is on for this year. Practice, practice, practice...

Nickie
04-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Very interesting. The bottoms of my feet ached as they only do when I see someone up that high.
I played for a memorial/ash dumping on a pitching funeral boat in the Gulf of Mexico once. And twice, with the guitarist (the traditional instrument) in The Dances of Universal Peace. I'm sure I'm the first uker to do that!

stevepetergal
04-15-2015, 02:09 PM
At Katz's Deli in New York City for a reunion of friends who, for some, hadn't seen each other for 50 years.

Now that's interesting.

stevepetergal
04-15-2015, 02:14 PM
https://youtu.be/dq4E24bxkik

At the Arctic Circle.
Brr.

The arctic circle is interesting to me. But c'mon doc, is it interesting when practically you live there?

Papa Tom
04-15-2015, 02:29 PM
On my bicycle, while riding along a five-mile bikeway to the beach.

Phuufme
04-15-2015, 02:40 PM
We played a 2 hour gig in the "Cave Without A Name". Here is a link to our facebook page with some pics.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152564159556949.1073741838.300598656948&type=3

itsme
04-15-2015, 02:49 PM
We played a 2 hour gig in the "Cave Without A Name". Here is a link to our facebook page with some pics.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152564159556949.1073741838.300598656948&type=3
That looks like it was a blast! Bet the acoustics were incredible in there. :)

andylama
04-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Not amazing, but mildly interesting:
190 feet below sea level, in Death Valley, last month.

dogstayplay
04-15-2015, 08:08 PM
I brought my soprano Flea to the Galapagos and played on the cruise boat. Then went on to L'Oriente which is the Equadorian Amazon. We took a small plane from Quito, transferred to a river boat for 2 hours then a dugout for an 1 1/2... then stayed at an EcoLodge run by the local Indians. We visited an indigenous women's group and they gave us a demonstration of their traditional drumming. I played two tunes for them -- E Ku'u Morning Dew and Happy Birthday for the woman who was the tribe elder. It was a sweet experience and a real musical exchange. I like to call it my 'first international gig' !!!
Have plenty of dates available in 2015 - call me !!!!! Hahaha!

geetee
04-15-2015, 09:20 PM
I brought my soprano Flea to the Galapagos and played on the cruise boat. Then went on to L'Oriente which is the Equadorian Amazon. We took a small plane from Quito, transferred to a river boat for 2 hours then a dugout for an 1 1/2... then stayed at an EcoLodge run by the local Indians. We visited an indigenous women's group and they gave us a demonstration of their traditional drumming. I played two tunes for them -- E Ku'u Morning Dew and Happy Birthday for the woman who was the tribe elder. It was a sweet experience and a real musical exchange. I like to call it my 'first international gig' !!!

Now that's an amazing story. You need to hook up with this woman whose ukulele has been all around this world. Antarctica, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/user/songintranslation

This type of thread always makes me revisit her channel.

Ukuleledad
04-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si9HJEfzbUo

Dougf
04-16-2015, 08:00 AM
My backyard is usually not very interesting, but this time it features the local deer family cavorting around behind me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0N5d5hsE3E

drbekken
04-18-2015, 08:19 AM
The arctic circle is interesting to me. But c'mon doc, is it interesting when practically you live there?
Hehe...trust me, man; I don't live anywhere close. We're talking over 500 km. That's a distance even in this country, where we really got some distances. Check a map. If you stick a pin in the southern tip of Norway, and 'spin' the country around 180 degrees, the northern tip would almost reach Africa...

sopher
04-18-2015, 11:15 AM
The Uke Club played Take Me Out To The Ballgame for the 7th Inning Stretch at the local minor leaque Baseball team (Akron Rubber Ducks)

Played in a conference room at the office because I found a guy starting the uke and we had a "Work/Life Balance" session.

Mik
04-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Nothing interesting yet since I've only been playing for about 3 months, however I'd really like someday to play in a Children's hospital especially in the cancer ward with pediatric patients and their mom/dad.

Phuufme
04-18-2015, 04:18 PM
That looks like it was a blast! Bet the acoustics were incredible in there. :)

The acoustics were crazy good. I commented to my wife that the acoustics we had were what software engineers try to write into gear.

IamNoMan
04-18-2015, 04:31 PM
I visit Gettysburg Twice a year. Once on November 19th and Once around April 15 to catch the Redbuds in blossom. A line from Gettysburg to Philadelphia is the Northern most point of their range. The Battlefield Park is full of Redbud. I always stop and have a wee drop of the Crathur with the lads of the Irish Brigade. This last week they requested a song. This is what I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Xp34UbBPo

stevepetergal
04-21-2015, 06:03 AM
This is what I did:

You wore THAT HAT!!?

IamNoMan
04-21-2015, 08:58 PM
You wore THAT HAT!!?The Girl in the Picture made THAT HAT for me Steve!

Wicked
04-21-2015, 09:53 PM

I came pretty close to being machine-gunned to death in el Oriente by some unpleasant people. Those were the days...

stevepetergal
04-22-2015, 07:38 AM
The Girl in the Picture made THAT HAT for me Steve!

That why she's crying?

stevepetergal
04-22-2015, 07:38 AM

Does she hate you?

stevepetergal
04-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Oh...

Don't worry. On you it looks good...

IamNoMan
04-25-2015, 06:16 PM
JaynE 2E Is one of the finest Photographer/Publicists in the WORLD.

That why she's crying?
Oh Steve You are such a Mushugga. That is glitter!

Does she hate you?
Maybe, sometimes, She does get upset when I finish off the Whiskey without leaving her any!

Oh...

Don't worry. On you it looks good...
Thankyou. I'll tell Jayne. She appreciates folks like you with good taste.

I visit Gettysburg Twice a year. Once on November 19th and Once around April 15 to catch the Redbuds in blossom. A line from Gettysburg to Philadelphia is the Northern most point of their range. The Battlefield Park is full of Redbud. I always stop and have a wee drop of the Crathur with the lads of the Irish Brigade. This last week they requested a song. This is what I did:

lizziep
04-26-2015, 07:38 PM
I've played at Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota.