Learn to play fingerstyle solo's for ukulele worth it for high G soprano?

Faerun

Reaction score
Hey guys!

After a couple of years of guitar, I bought a ukulele (Lanikai LU11), since I can take it everywhere without too much of a hassle. It's not as easy as I thought, but I'm getting there :)

I was wondering about buying the book called: learn to play fingerstyle solos for ukulele by Mark Kailana Nelson.

However, in it's description a lot of songs are marked with a star, meaning they are only playable on Low G or baritone (http://ukulelereview.com/2008/02/14...r-ukulele-by-mark-kailana-nelson-book-review/).

Now my question, would it be worth it buying this book, if I can't play half of the songs?
If not, can you recommend any good books for learning nice solo's?

Thanks a lot!

There are a few songs in the book (denoted by an asterisk in the table of contents) which are "arrangements that may be played on Baritone ukulele or instruments with low G strings". They're playable with a high-g or low-G tuned ukulele. I hope that clears up the confusion.

D'Oh! Stupid me :)

Thanks a lot for the answer.

I'm off to plunder my credit card once again =)

Cheers!

It's a very nicely done book with good notations and a nice selection of songs that range from basic to advanced.

also the Lyle Lite is a good one too.

Yeah, I've gotten a lot out of the book, and I only have high-G ukes (so far).

JJ

I've got to agree with what everyone above has said. This was my first fingerstyle ukulele book, and it's really good. The arrangements start from simple, and get more difficult, but there's something for everyone. And having a CD with it helps a lot too if you don't know the song. By the way, the CD is made up of proper studio recordings, not midi files, so it can be played just like a regular cd - I listen to it on my iPod quite a bit.

you can always restring to low g if you want to try the other songs ...

Worth it? I'd say.. Yes. Thats a nice book, sweet tunes and not too overly complicated, plenty of leeway to fill in with your own licks and ad-lib stuff. If I recall, most of the tunes in that book hardly go past the 12th fret, so a Soprano would do it well. Also, one of the coolest for me is that beautiful Koa uke on the cover is nearly a twin of the one that Dennis Lake built for me (Island Jazz D-hole Cutaway Tenor). Mahalos to Dennis as he actually gave me that book.. gratis.

Last edited:
Nelson book

What 14twelve said: it is a very fine book, the first fingerpicking style uke book I ever bought and the sequence of songs from relatively easy to harder stuff is paced just right. A mix of Hawaiian, classic and more contemp makes it nicely varied. Very good notes on playing and chording structures.

Recommended highly.

Craig

Top Bottom