How to Strap

JJFN

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to have a strap button installed on my tenor. I am not sure what set up to use. Ukulele for Dummies has a you tube about the subject showing 5 different ways. I have the sound hole hook type for my concert, but want something more secure for the big guys. I'm between two buttons on the body of the ukulele sort of an electric guitar set up and the more acoustic type, one button on the body and some type of tie down through the head stock. What type is preferred by the UU nation?

I like the tie on the headstock and the strap button at the bottom of the uke body. I've tried a couple that had two buttons in the guitar style, and for me I found them actually less stable than the headstock tie. I find ukes to be slippery little things, and need all the help I can get in keeping them from getting away!

I like the tie on the headstock and the strap button at the bottom of the uke body. I've tried a couple that had two buttons in the guitar style, and for me I found them actually less stable than the headstock tie. I find ukes to be slippery little things, and need all the help I can get in keeping them from getting away!

I do it just like Jane.

Start with TWO buttons (sorry Bill1) and that way you can truely experiment. I personally prefer two buttons but everyone must find out what works best for themselves.

Ukuleles may generally be too light for this to be an issue, but I have heard some luthiers express the concern that attaching a strap to the headstock might cause the neck to warp because you're hanging the ukulele at the4 end of the neck instead of at the base of the neck. I've been getting strap buttons attached on heavier ukes (baritones and tenors) just to avoid any possible neck problems down the road caused by asking the neck to bear the weight of the ukulele. Having a second strap button has taken a little getting used to, but I'm comfortable with it now.

Thank you for the good advice. I'm leaning towards the one button set up. I can always add if I am unhappy with the one button.

I use a second button on my jumbo guitar, where the thickness of the body keeps the strap out of the way. When I tried this setup on a smaller instrument I found things got a little crowded up around the twelfth fret and the balance wasn't as good. The instrument felt "neck-heavy". Tying the strap off at the machine heads solved all these problems.

Depending on your build, the actual size and shape of your tenor, and your playing style you may manage with either arrangement, but if you want a "one or the other" choice, I'd recommend one button and tying off at the top of the neck.

Overall convenience may be another factor to consider, ie. how easy/difficult would it be to go back for a second button if you change your mind and/or how much would it worry you if you had a second button fitted and then had to remove it 'cos it got in the way?

Whichever choice you make, a strap is definitely a good idea !

Good luck :)

I like two strap buttons - very stable and secure. I had HMS put them on the Opio when I purchased it, and an authorized Martin Repair Center put them on the OXK.

Attachments

• OXK neck.jpg
    OXK neck.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43
  • strap 3.jpg
    strap 3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
On my Banjoleles, I tie on the head and tail. On my baritone, I have two buttons. I've also been experimenting with home made Uke leashes, and they work pretty well. I use one on the Flea, and it does the job.

I saw somewhere on the forum that someone has three or four extra head hook-up straps, which I guess he leaves on his Ukes. Then, Viola!, all he has to do is snap the strap on--pretty snazzy. I like 'em pretty well.

Straps help me to keep my thumb behind the neck. Not all of the time, but most of the time. :eek:ld:

I have 2. The pick up jack on the end and the second one on the heel of the neck. It's perfect. (I couldn't use a tie-on at the headstock because it would cover the headstock inlay.)

I've installed two buttons on all my ukes myself, about 14, unless it already had buttons, I find that to be the most stable for me. I use to use 5/8" wide mandolin straps, but they wound around to much when I took the uke off and put it back on, I now use 1" wide, much better.

As you can see, there is no one favored way by the Uke Nation. Everyone has their own personal fit.

I like the uke leash and I'm waiting on my first uke with an endpin jack and I will use the uke leash adaptor for the strap.

I have just (5 minutes ago) fitted an end button, the 4th or 5th I have done with no problems, and this is someone who failed every woodwork project at school. I tie the other end of the strap around the headstock. I do have one uke which came with a heel button, but when I tried it, I still found the headstock tipping away from me at times, so even on that one I prefer the "top-tie and end button" method.

The last few posts made me think of a few other random points... I prefer a wider strap - I'm using 1.5" or 2" guitar straps now, as thinner straps get twisted around and annoy me. And the way YorkSteve described the headstock tipping away is exactly the problem I had when I tried ukes with two buttons. As for installing the buttons - even though I'm perfectly capable of using a drill, I've always had a luthier do it for me. This should cost no more than $5-$10 at a shop.

Thank you for the good advice. I'm leaning towards the one button set up. I can always add if I am unhappy with the one button.

good idea...I do it like Jane, Nickie and Bill!

For me, I must have a strap to play. The type of strap affects the angle you can hold your uke. I am most comfortable seated with my Uke Leash half strap because the angle is just what I like, with the neck angled up a bit. When I put on a full strap, it is hard to get that same angle, and the head dips a bit. I have ukes with one button, and ukes with 2 buttons, and ukes with no buttons. Even if I have a button, I often switch to a Uke Leash half strap and only use a full strap if I have to stand and play. If your uke is a little top heavy, the two button system will not hold your uke neck in a good playing position. I have a 2 button installation that ended up like that (Kala tenor mango), and that was after the guitar shop technician said he thought the balance should be OK. However, on the Mya Moe, the two button works fine. I find if I have to hold my uke at a different angle from what I am used to, I get a bit disoriented, and tend to bend my wrist too much.

–Lori

I'm happily in the two button camp, coming from the guitar world it feels natural.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I popped for one button on my tenor and baritone. As I said if I'm unhappy with that I can always add. Went to a guitar repair shop, he charged $10 for both. I am fairly handy, but was leery of putting a drill to my babies. It was a well spent $10. Now onto straps. I ordered a 1.5 inch strap from Etsy, the peacock feather, "custom" made for a 1.5 inch strap. Anything thinner I believe would have cut into my shoulders. Can't wait to try the strap.

I prefer the neck-heel button to tying to the peghead, which can interfere with my left hand. The downside of the neck-heel button is that on some ukuleles (especially ones with 14-fret necks) the neck will want to tend to drop if not counterbalanced by pushing down with one's right forearm. One nice thing about the Mobius Strap is that it actually uses the weight of the neck to hold the ukulele in playing position, giving completely hands-free support. This allows freedom of movement of both hands without the need to support the instrument. I use a neck-heel strap on guitar, but actually find the Mobius Strap more stable for ukulele.

Top Bottom