String gauge question

Per

Reaction score
Hey all. Sorry if this is something that has been asked a ton of times before.

I am buying new strings for a few ukes. Wanna put one Aquila super nylgut low G (the red series low G string) on a few ukes.
Do you know if the gauge is the same on the tenor and soprano strings? Or is it just the lenght of the strings that variates?

If the gauge is the same, I will only be buying tenor strings in the future, instead of keeping lots of shorts strings on stock.

Hope any of you know the answer to this :)

Do you know if the gauge is the same on the tenor and soprano strings? Or is it just the lenght of the strings that variates?

Even if the gauge is the same, which is unlikely, the basic physics requires the string for the tenor to be denser than that for the soprano, so even if it did fit it'd likely be "dead"

Unfortunately I can't see any reference anywhere to the actual gauges of these strings.

If someone's got a set of tenor low-G "red's" and a micrometer, I've got a set of soprano low-G "red's" and a micrometer, so we could make some comparative measurements. Measuring just one set would probably be a pointless excercise in this context, but if anyone feels the need for the numbers for just the soprano strings, just ask ... it'll take a few seconds to measure and post them.

Top Bottom