Banjolele Blues

Riverpirate

Reaction score
So I picked up a nice Serenader Banjolele this weekend. From what I can find it was made in the 50's. Looks like someone refinished it at some point but still has a nice vintage look to it. Hardware for the head and bridge are all original with a new head on it. I believe the tuners were replaced as they dont seem to match the others that I have seen. Here is the blues part. I just dont like the sound. I love the sound of every other banjolele I have heard, but I have never owned one. Ive played with the bridge to try to get the intonation right. Ive put new Aquilla strings on , which helped. It just seems dull to me. Do I keep it and keep getting frustrated or do I get rid of it and find me another ukulele?
I know it is new to me and takes some time to get them right , I just feel frustrated with it right now. I keep reverting back to my cheap lanikai for that soothing sound I love.

How tight is your "vellum" ? It should have very little give .....some but not be sloppy ...although you write that it is new.......

Try tuning it to ADF#B.

Banjoleles sound better a little brighter and this should help. Just remember to adjust your mind/finger/chord shape co-ordination ...C becomes D, F becomes G , and G becomes A etc etc....

Is it a " Formby " style resonator , which should be blisteringly loud and ringy ...or one of the little pot variety ....look like a baby banjo...mine (Kala ) is a little quieter than my reso (no name but about fifty odd years old )and does not sustain quite so much.

I find Worth Browns are a bit "brighter" than Aquilas and am going to put a set on my Kala . may be worth a try.

And this is something else worth remembering, Banjoleles will sound different to the player than the audience...especially if it is a resonator..Maybe try and get a pal to play it to you and just sit in front ..it is amazing the difference....Good luck , whichever way you go....

There is a formula for bridge placement ...I think it is equi distant from the 12th as the 12th is from the nut .This may be a Granny egg sucking Instruction so please feel free to deep 6 the advice.

Last edited:
After you tighten the head don't forget to put a piece of foam underneath the bridge to help with any overtones.

Well , i did order a new bridge for it today. The bridge that was on it looked very cheap and felt like balsam wood. The head seams ok. Not much give to it , feels and sounds nice and tight. Im going to have someone look at it tonight at our uke meeting, Im sure he can tell me what to do.

Top Bottom