Wagon Wheel Question

Jay Bird

Reaction score
Hey folks,

New to uke but lovin’ it.

I have a question about chords…when I play Wagon Wheel for example on the banjo I play it G, D, Em and C. I’m self-taught so I often fail to understand the finer things, musicality, etc. but I’ve noticed the uke play along on YouTube has A and F#m.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

j

I'm not a banjo player so I may be missing something here, but - the chords you listed for banjo are in the key of G, while IIRC the original song is in the key of A. I'm not familiar with the uke play-along you referenced but I'm guessing it's played in the original key of the recording.

I think Darius Rucker plays it in A, but he's using G-shapes capoed up two. If you want to play it in A, that's the easy way. Otherwise, for the key of A, every chord goes up a full-step, so instead of G, D, Em, and C, you play A, E, F#m, and D.

I play it off Scorpexuke, G,D,Em,C,.......repeat ad infinitum....
Cheers,
R

The play along is in the key of A. You are playing it in the key of G. Same thing but just a step lower than the play along. Look up "transposing" and you'll find more info.

:D

Yep. When we play it in our band, we play it in G. Brings it down into my range a little bit better, as well.

While Bob wrote the tune and the chorus and called it Rock Me Mama, the tune was not used in the movie and was never properly recorded. The only version of Bob singing the song has unintelligible verses, so the Old Crow guys wrote new lyrics and got partial writing credit.

Top Bottom