Need help finding an Acoustic-Electric Tenor

musical_panda

Reaction score
I have been looking to buy a new ukulele and have decided that I would like an acoustic electric tenor. However, I need help finding a good model, and thought that this would be the best place to get some recommendations. I have been looking at the Lanikai CK-TEQ, but I'm not sure if that would be the best choice.
My price range is about $250 but will be going up to $300 for quality.

I have been looking to buy a new ukulele and have decided that I would like an acoustic electric tenor. However, I need help finding a good model, and thought that this would be the best place to get some recommendations. I have been looking at the Lanikai CK-TEQ, but I'm not sure if that would be the best choice.

NOt sure about the quality of electric ukes in your price range. Check out the kala ukes. Their non-amped ukes are pretty good. I also know that applause sales good electronics on their guitars. I paid $200 for my pick-up alone but it is a fishman and they don't come any better than fishman imo.
Good luck with your search.

Be open to a used uke. You might come across a great deal. I got a used Pono Tenor (koa) w/ pickup in a package with a Pono soprano for $530. They both looked like new. I sold the soprano for $225. This tenor retails just under $1000.00! I only have $305 into the Tenor. And the sound I get from this uke is amazing!

The CK-teq is a good and beautiful uke but you are really paying an extra $100 for pretty koa laminate. the S-teq is a sprucetop equivalent model (but still laminate back and sides) but they might not be available yet. I actually exchanged my CK-teq for the Lanakai 0-8e 8 string spruce top (laminate sides) unfortunately no cutaway but it is Acoustic/Electric, and I got $20 back. Otherwise Kala has a spructop cutaway tenor thats pretty much identical to the s-teq I put a link for one in the "solid tenor" thread in this forum.

Any tenor in the $100-300 range is going to be pretty similar quality (low-middle end), but for $300 you can maybe find some good used solid tenor ukes or small (soprano/concert) unamplified ones.

I like the advise of waiting for a slightly used one. Right around 300 you should be able to pick off something worth twice as much.

For example this past weekend I won a Pono PTSE for 336. Barely strummed, solid mahogany spruce top rope binding abalone and pearl inlay, with a passive undersaddle pickup. Msrp is over 650.

It just takes a little patience and some lurking and sniping on eBay.

I like the advise of waiting for a slightly used one. Right around 300 you should be able to pick off something worth twice as much.

For example this past weekend I won a Pono PTSE for 336. Barely strummed, solid mahogany spruce top rope binding abalone and pearl inlay, with a passive undersaddle pickup. Msrp is over 650.

It just takes a little patience and some lurking and sniping on eBay.

Exactly, I would go with that plan over getting the kala any day(no bias, just know the differences in sound for the tenors).

Exactly, I would go with that plan over getting the kala any day(no bias, just know the differences in sound for the tenors).

thanks for that man, last message on the thread get exactly what im looking for, love this site, anyway i had the exact same question as this guy and you sold me thanks brotha

Top Bottom