he said ukulele is a toy?

I am shock this came out of David Foster's mouth ! He probably doesn't even know the made of her uku. I am glad a 12 years old girl opened his eyes!

Didn't know who David Foster was, now I know....the head "MORON" on Australia's Got Talent. Taimaine move over.

I too a little shocked when the judge say "a toy", especially when Sydney was holding a K brand on the stage.:biglaugh: We have to accept the fact, that on earth still large part of population think it is a toy.

Some time ago on internet I have seen Sydney's ukulele videos, she has a humble and lovely personality.

Just another example of misjudgement by size - "if it ain't big it's no good". But what would you expect from a male ...'s got talent jury member - I am pretty sure they are casted for being like that.

Let's face it: the ukulele will always be viewed as as "toy"--even to music industry veterans like David Foster--despite its "mainstream" popularity for the past 7-8 years. The only thing missing from Sydney's amazing performance was a bright red nose and white face paint.

We can learn from this video that, despite all of us speaking of the instrument and playing it daily, it holds about as much interest to the general public as do the fine arts of fingerpainting, Etch-A-Sketch, and Play-doh sculpture.

We might all be best served by "growing up" and graduating from our "little toy guitars" to "real instruments", like a tuba, a harmonica, or even an accordion, so that we might be accepted socially.

Last edited:
Maybe we should send him a copy of Eddie Vedder's ukulele album?

The general population will view it that way because of the ukes history, anything made of plastic gets labelled as a toy.

I am ok with that because toys are made to be fun , they bring us great enjoyment. That is what the ukulele does for me. Toys are meant to be played with and I certainly have fun playing all mine.:D

He said "...basically a toy..." (still out of context). For decades, the ukulele has been a toy, as far as most mainstream cultures are concerned. Yes, there have always been virtuoso players. There are cultures and sub-cultures (like ours) that take it seriously, but until perhaps 10 years ago, most ukuleles built and sold were toys and souvenirs.
I think of my ukuleles as serious musical instruments. Still, I'm not surprised or offended if someone describes them as half-guitar-half-toy. Even "basically a toy".

Let's face it: the ukulele will always be viewed as as "toy"--even to music industry veterans like David Foster--despite its "mainstream" popularity for the past 7-8 years. The only thing missing from Sydney's amazing performance was a bright red nose and white face paint.

We can learn from this video that, despite all of us speaking of the instrument and playing it daily, it holds about as much interest to the general public as do the fine arts of fingerpainting, Etch-A-Sketch, and Play-doh sculpture.

We might all be best served by "growing up" and graduating from our "little toy guitars" to "real instruments", like a tuba, a harmonica, or even an accordion, so that we might be accepted socially.

This forum needs a "Like" function.

Didn't know who David Foster was, now I know....the head "MORON" on Australia's Got Talent. Taimaine move over.

David Foster composed and produced many hit songs with artists like Celine Dion. He is a pianist. I guess he knows nothing about string instruments.

David Foster.. is a big deal. Hes a producer that made careers for:
Christina Aguilera, Andrea Bocelli, Toni Braxton, Michael Bublé, Chicago, Natalie Cole, Céline Dion, Jackie Evancho, Josh Groban, Whitney Houston, Jennifer Lopez, Seal, Rod Stewart, Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Charice, etc.

He's a fine pianist/accompanist as well.
But he's also a twat with a HUGE ego.

I've played a variety of stringed instruments for 40+ years, and consider myself pretty savvy when it comes to things music. Up until about 2 years ago, I sort of viewed ukuleles as "toys" or "novelty" instruments. Then, at a song writing retreat I attended, an incredibly talented woman belted out an amazing blues tune, playing yes, a uke. Many asked "what kind of instrument is that?" Because, like me, many had not personally seen an uke used as a primary instrument. That moment, was my spark to purchase a uke. Now, two years later ... it has become one of my most coveted instruments. I own several, have written several songs on the uke, and recently took over teaching an after school uke class to local youngsters. So, exposure to ukes transformed my perspective, my music, and my life. Thanks Anne for using uke on a powerful blues number ;)

David Foster composed and produced many hit songs with artists like Celine Dion. He is a pianist. I guess he knows nothing about string instruments.

Piano is truly a percussion instrument. That it has strings is just an implementation issue.

I'm not questioning his talent, but it certainly sounds like David Foster is an entrenched cog in the big media machine where people and groups are selected mostly for their image and stage presence. Talent is provided by the army of starving song writers and fluffed by a hollywood hyped marketing department. And the stuff they put out called "music" is vastly overproduced and cheap sounding.

Holy Cow!!! Good for her. I'd like to hear more from her.

She did great!!

Sure, there is a knee jerk reaction to take that term as an insult. But if my husband can refer to his $50,000 car as a toy, I'm pretty sure I can refer to my thousand dollar ukulele as a toy and just focus on the pleasure that we each get out of our "toys".

I watched the video, and I've been coming back to this thread all day, and I've tried, but I just can't get all indignant at the toy remark by the guy I've never heard of before. But I don't want anyone here to think that I think ukuleles are toys, because I don't. However, I was attracted to the ukulele, because my guitar playing friends took their guitars and themselves way too seriously for me, and I didn't want to be that caught up in it like that. So I decided that no one was going to take a uke seriously. And that is what was so attractive to me. So with that in mind, I really can't take old what's his name's remark seriously, and stay true to myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom