PDA

View Full Version : Took my ukulele to guitar class

Steedy
04-15-2015, 09:10 AM
I've been taking a local guitar class that meets on Monday nights. It's a small group and each week we learn and play two songs together. Last week I brought my Kanilea Concert ukulele to class, just to keep 'em off balance. :)

I sat down with my Kanilea in a circle with five other guitar players, and they were all looking dubiously at my uke. The instructor looked skeptical and said "I don't know if these two songs will work with a ukulele, but we'll see."

Well, the two songs that night were "Moondance" (Am, Bm, Dm, E) and "Walking In Memphis" (F, G, C, Am). We started playing Moondance and after only the first verse, the instructor stopped us and said "Wow, that uke sounds really good!"

So I just played along on my uke the whole time, and after class the instructor said he thought the ukulele and guitars worked really well together on those songs. I didn't tell him, but I enjoyed playing my ukulele with the group more than I do playing guitar. It was a lot of fun and maybe a little educational for a few guitar players! :cool:

Osprey
04-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Way to go and spread some ukulele mojo
Cliff

deschutestrout
04-15-2015, 09:33 AM
more than two guitars ... redundant. a uke definitely spiced things up ;)

Rllink
04-15-2015, 09:43 AM
I've been taking a local guitar class that meets on Monday nights. It's a small group and each week we learn and play two songs together. Last week I brought my Kanilea Concert ukulele to class, just to keep 'em off balance. :)

I sat down with my Kanilea in a circle with five other guitar players, and they were all looking dubiously at my uke . The instructor looked skeptical and said "I don't know if these two songs will work with a ukulele, but we'll see."

Well, the two songs that night were "Moondance" (Am, Bm, Dm, E) and "Walking In Memphis" (F, G, C, Am). We started playing Moondance and after only the first verse, the instructor stopped us and said "Wow, that uke sounds really good!"

So I just played along on my uke the whole time, and after class the instructor said he thought the ukulele and guitars worked really well together on those songs. I didn't tell him, but I enjoyed playing my ukulele with the group more than I do playing guitar. It was a lot of fun and maybe a little educational for a few guitar players! :cool:
I like it. Thumbs up.

Mooh
04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who believes that ukulele and guitar are a good match. I've been trying to interest my guitar students in alternatives for years, ukulele being an great choice as it packs small, plays in a higher register (generally), has familiar fingerings and is easy to sight read with, etc.

Both those tunes are great choices, in my opinion.

hoosierhiver
04-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Enlighten those heathens!

DownUpDave
04-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Where's the like button......"WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON". :shaka: Well done on spreading the love

Nickie
04-15-2015, 02:36 PM
WTG Steedy! I love it! Last eve we went to a guitar jam on a whim, there were at least 10 of them, and one poor little banjo. One of the guitarists was pretty good at picking. We didn't have our ukes. Someone offered us a guitar, and we begged off. I said I only play four strings and got a strange look, and my BFF told them, she plays ukulele. So we were invited back in two weeks and asked to bring our ukes. I've only played with guitars a couple of times, and my lil ukie just sang right along, so I can't wait to try again.
Mike, we're gonna enlighten more heathens!

Icelander53
04-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Nice work. I read a some threads here about people upset when the uke gets dissed but I hardly think any opinions based in ignorance is much to get upset about. Better to show em like you did.

Ukulele Eddie
04-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer! I bet somebody in your group will end up getting a uke now. Well done!

PeteyHoudini
04-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Thumbs up!

Andy Chen
04-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Nice one, rebel with a uke!

PhilUSAFRet
04-16-2015, 04:50 AM
Score one for the Ukes. That'll teach'em.

Jim Yates
04-16-2015, 09:21 AM
5 or 6 years ago I went to a party which included a jam with mostly guitars, banjo, mandolin and mouth harps. A fellow named David Newland brought a metal reso-uke and I was admiring it. Up until that time I had thought of ukes as either "toys" or "starter guitars". He asked me if I'd like to give it a try. Although he probably meant for a tune or two, he ended up playing the guitar for the rest of the night and I was a new convert to ukulele. I now own that very ukulele.

LDS714
04-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Be careful. I took my guitar for show & tell in junior high, ended up being asked to bring it every week for chorus class. More of a statement on my singing than my prowess on guitar at the time. :D

Ukulele Eddie
04-16-2015, 11:04 AM
5 or 6 years ago I went to a party which included a jam with mostly guitars, banjo, mandolin and mouth harps. A fellow named David Newland brought a metal reso-uke and I was admiring it. Up until that time I had thought of ukes as either "toys" or "starter guitars". He asked me if I'd like to give it a try. Although he probably meant for a tune or two, he ended up playing the guitar for the rest of the night and I was a new convert to ukulele. I now own that very ukulele.

Very cool to hear!

Ukejenny
04-16-2015, 12:35 PM
I think it is great that you are enlightening those unschooled in the magic of the ukulele. Rock on!!! :shaka:

CeeJay
04-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Wonder what the reaction would be if a geetarist or a mandolinist sprung their instrument on a Uke group....:rock::nana:

eqt2010
04-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Talking about guitar and ukulele combo:

https://youtu.be/LQz77E_bxp4

pritch
04-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Talking about guitar and ukulele combo:

https://youtu.be/LQz77E_bxp4

Thanks for posting - loved it.

Jim Yates
04-16-2015, 07:54 PM

I always enjoyed this cartoon.

Our jug band often combines a guitar and ukulele.

Papa Bear
04-17-2015, 12:43 AM
One of the reasons I recently got into ukulele was the fact my daughter was getting bored with guitar and wanted to play something different she could sing along with. The other reason is the very point many are making here- guitars by themselves have sound palette limitations, just as much as ukes do. Plunk and twang can really sound great together on the right songs.

SteveZ
04-17-2015, 04:31 AM
Ukulele can fit into any group, provided a little thought on genre and position is given. There are times a "bright and perky" soprano fits, and others where a more robust baritone is appropriate. The eight-string tenor seems to fit well when country/rock/reggae is the group's center. Just like different size/type guitars fit better in certain group settings, the same holds true for ukuleles.

As with any other instrument, the trick is to not force-fit a sound that it not complementary into a mixed-instrument setting. One sees a lot of groups which have different size/type guitars, plus a banjo and maybe a mandolin sitting at-the-ready, depending on what's going to be played. Bringing a couple different size ukuleles to a mixed-instrument group provides some musical diversity, plus are great conversation items.