Took my ukulele to guitar class

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been taking a local guitar class that meets on Monday nights. It's a small group and each week we learn and play two songs together. Last week I brought my Kanilea Concert ukulele to class, just to keep 'em off balance. :)

I sat down with my Kanilea in a circle with five other guitar players, and they were all looking dubiously at my uke. The instructor looked skeptical and said "I don't know if these two songs will work with a ukulele, but we'll see."

Well, the two songs that night were "Moondance" (Am, Bm, Dm, E) and "Walking In Memphis" (F, G, C, Am). We started playing Moondance and after only the first verse, the instructor stopped us and said "Wow, that uke sounds really good!"

So I just played along on my uke the whole time, and after class the instructor said he thought the ukulele and guitars worked really well together on those songs. I didn't tell him, but I enjoyed playing my ukulele with the group more than I do playing guitar. It was a lot of fun and maybe a little educational for a few guitar players! :cool:

Last edited:
more than two guitars ... redundant. a uke definitely spiced things up ;)

I've been taking a local guitar class that meets on Monday nights. It's a small group and each week we learn and play two songs together. Last week I brought my Kanilea Concert ukulele to class, just to keep 'em off balance. :)

I sat down with my Kanilea in a circle with five other guitar players, and they were all looking dubiously at my uke . The instructor looked skeptical and said "I don't know if these two songs will work with a ukulele, but we'll see."

Well, the two songs that night were "Moondance" (Am, Bm, Dm, E) and "Walking In Memphis" (F, G, C, Am). We started playing Moondance and after only the first verse, the instructor stopped us and said "Wow, that uke sounds really good!"

So I just played along on my uke the whole time, and after class the instructor said he thought the ukulele and guitars worked really well together on those songs. I didn't tell him, but I enjoyed playing my ukulele with the group more than I do playing guitar. It was a lot of fun and maybe a little educational for a few guitar players! :cool:
I like it. Thumbs up.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who believes that ukulele and guitar are a good match. I've been trying to interest my guitar students in alternatives for years, ukulele being an great choice as it packs small, plays in a higher register (generally), has familiar fingerings and is easy to sight read with, etc.

Both those tunes are great choices, in my opinion.

Where's the like button......"WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON". :shaka: Well done on spreading the love

WTG Steedy! I love it! Last eve we went to a guitar jam on a whim, there were at least 10 of them, and one poor little banjo. One of the guitarists was pretty good at picking. We didn't have our ukes. Someone offered us a guitar, and we begged off. I said I only play four strings and got a strange look, and my BFF told them, she plays ukulele. So we were invited back in two weeks and asked to bring our ukes. I've only played with guitars a couple of times, and my lil ukie just sang right along, so I can't wait to try again.
Mike, we're gonna enlighten more heathens!

Nice work. I read a some threads here about people upset when the uke gets dissed but I hardly think any opinions based in ignorance is much to get upset about. Better to show em like you did.

Last edited:
Trailblazer! I bet somebody in your group will end up getting a uke now. Well done!

Thumbs up!

Nice one, rebel with a uke!

Score one for the Ukes. That'll teach'em.

5 or 6 years ago I went to a party which included a jam with mostly guitars, banjo, mandolin and mouth harps. A fellow named David Newland brought a metal reso-uke and I was admiring it. Up until that time I had thought of ukes as either "toys" or "starter guitars". He asked me if I'd like to give it a try. Although he probably meant for a tune or two, he ended up playing the guitar for the rest of the night and I was a new convert to ukulele. I now own that very ukulele.

Be careful. I took my guitar for show & tell in junior high, ended up being asked to bring it every week for chorus class. More of a statement on my singing than my prowess on guitar at the time. :D

5 or 6 years ago I went to a party which included a jam with mostly guitars, banjo, mandolin and mouth harps. A fellow named David Newland brought a metal reso-uke and I was admiring it. Up until that time I had thought of ukes as either "toys" or "starter guitars". He asked me if I'd like to give it a try. Although he probably meant for a tune or two, he ended up playing the guitar for the rest of the night and I was a new convert to ukulele. I now own that very ukulele.

Very cool to hear!

I think it is great that you are enlightening those unschooled in the magic of the ukulele. Rock on!!! :shaka:

Wonder what the reaction would be if a geetarist or a mandolinist sprung their instrument on a Uke group....:rock::nana:

Top Bottom