PDA

View Full Version : Live and learn, or not (tilted bridge)

cpmusic
04-15-2015, 06:48 PM
This is embarassing.

I bought an aNueNue Mini Concert (their official name for a long neck soprano) from Uke Republic. I had no sensible reason for buying it since I have a Kala KA-SLNG but, well, you know....

The aNueNue came in yesterday, and its bridge is tilted and the top is dished. I know that some distorion of this sort is bound to happen -- heck, the Kala shows some -- but this is more than I'd expect, especially since there's a longitudinal brace between the bridge plate and the cross brace just south of the sound hole (something the Kala doesn't have). It's a very sweet-sounding uke, actually warmer than the Kala, but this seems wrong. I've attached four pictures: 1 & 2 are the aNueNue, 3 & 4 are the Kala.

78511 78512 78513 78514

What do you think? Is this reason for concern, or am I making too much of it?

DownUpDave
04-16-2015, 02:05 AM
Send the pictures to Mike at Uke Republic and see what he says. He is a great guy that stands by his stuff and will do the right thing. The dishing does look a bit accessive but if you love the sound and everything else about this uke I would just live with it.

I have been fussy about stuff like this in the past. But once I fall in love with the sound and playability of a uke it is easy to forget about stuff that doesn't really matter.

wayfarer75
04-16-2015, 02:57 AM
Send the pictures to Mike at Uke Republic and see what he says. He is a great guy that stands by his stuff and will do the right thing. The dishing does look a bit accessive but if you love the sound and everything else about this uke I would just live with it.

I have been fussy about stuff like this in the past. But once I fall in love with the sound and playability of a uke it is easy to forget about stuff that doesn't really matter.

:agree:

There are lots of UUers who have ukes with some dishing, and there is debate as to what is acceptable. My Kelii has developed a bit of a belly, but it was not present when I bought it two years ago, and as of right now it probably is less than your Anuenue (hard to tell). The Kelii sounds fantastic, so I'm just keeping an eye on it, and will take it to a local luthier if I think it needs help.

But talk to Mike, and see what he says about it. It is new, and if you are not comfortable with this, he should help you.

cpmusic
04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks, folks! I sent pictures to Mike and he responded quickly, offering a refund or replacement if I want to return the uke. I'm leaning toward replacement with the same model or trading in for something else, but I'm still on the fence. Decisions, decisions....

Whatever I decide, this is another clear lesson in buying from a good dealer.

Ukejenny
04-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks, folks! I sent pictures to Mike and he responded quickly, offering a refund or replacement if I want to return the uke. I'm leaning toward replacement with the same model or trading in for something else, but I'm still on the fence. Decisions, decisions....

Whatever I decide, this is another clear lesson in buying from a good dealer.

Mike is definitely a quality dealer to do business with. Glad it is resolved. My cedar topped concert has some dishing, but I love the sound and I don't think it has changed in shape since I bought it.

cpmusic
05-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Update: I decided I liked the aNueNue too much not to have it, so I opted for a direct replacement. Mike didn't have any in stock, so he contacted his distributor and arranged to have them send me one when they came in. He also sent me a prepaid label to ship the dished uke directly to the distributor. The replacement was delivered on Wednesday, and it's a lot better structurally than the one I returned. It's also prettier, with a top and headstock that are a little darker.

I'm very happy with Mike and will always check in with him before making any more purchases.

wayfarer75
05-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Glad it turned out okay in the end. Enjoy the new uke!

UkuLincoln
05-08-2015, 05:57 PM
So he had them send one directly to you? Doesn't he always do the set up on ukulele before he sends them?

cpmusic
05-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Yes, he does, but he said they can do setups as well, and if they didn't, then the factory did an excellent job. I believe Mike was concerned about keeping me waiting -- not that I gave him reason to worry, just that he wanted my experience to be smooth. I have no complaints.