NUD Makala Waterman

deschutestrout

Reaction score
Well, I made the mistake of stopping by our "local" music store (only 45 minutes from where I live) to pick up some tuners for our after school uke program.

They handed me a Waterman and said "here's your river uke." And, I left with it. It's a soprano (I'm not fond of sopranos) It's plastic (I'm not fond of plastic ukes), It was $49 (I always believed $49 ukes were sort of junky).

For what it is, this uke sounds pretty darn good! Louder than I expected, better tone than I expected, acceptable intonation (I'll let the strings settle and report back) ... overall, a pretty solid, playable uke! So, if you're looking for an inexpensive uke to not worry about, the Waterman is one to consider. Blows the doors off of the other plastic ukes I've played.

The kids will love seeing you play it. Just make sure they spit out the pits.:spam:

Ha! This uke may eventually end up being one I gift to some kid or something, as I have other ukes that serve the same purpose, but...for $49...I couldn't help but leave with it :)

Ha! This uke may eventually end up being one I gift to some kid or something, as I have other ukes that serve the same purpose, but...for $49...I couldn't help but leave with it :)

Dude who are you kidding, I can see you selling your Clara and using this Waterman as your #1 go to uke. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

If you feel like just getting rid of the Clara I will help you out. All kidding aside I have been interested in a plastic uke to take canoe tripping with me on our annual Algonquin backcountry trip. I don't care for soprano size either but let me know how you feel about it after some time has elapsed.

I don't understand why plastic uke makers stick to soprano ... if concerts were available, I have a hunch they would sell more.

I don't understand why plastic uke makers stick to soprano ... if concerts were available, I have a hunch they would sell more.

This, all day.

Or even just a long neck soprano.

The clear watermen look cool and I have a bugsgear Aqulele. But a concert would really make a plastic ukulele something useful for me.

Yep -- make a concert and I'm in.

What color did you go with?

My OU is good for what it is - it lives in the van and gives me something to do while waiting in the school car line.

The local music store carries a lot of lower priced ukes. I like to support the store. As soon as he gets these in, which is any day now, I'm buying one.

In the Netherlands they will be available in August, too late for the summer. Looking forward for somebody to review this uke.

In the Netherlands they will be available in August, too late for the summer. Looking forward for somebody to review this uke.

I pretty much did ... if there is something specific my description lacked, let me know and I'll do my best to provide an answer. Tuners seem to function and hold tune quite well.

Here are pics.

wm1.jpg
wm2.jpg
wm3.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! The Waterman is the uke the BOD of TBUS chose to place in libraries to start our lending program. We hope to find them nearly indestructible. They should outlast the wooden ukes that are being donated by members.

Looks like Mim and Uke Republic have started shipping the Waterman. My Tomato Red is on the way from Mim...

I should have mine on Monday. I ordered one in seafoam and if I like it I'll order the translucent green next.

Top Bottom