kala ka-slng neck

I spoke with Andrew Kitakis at HMS and he told me that this is the best Super Soprano for under $200 ... especially the solid Spruce top.

I kind of want one ... lol ... even though my solid wood Mahogany Keli'i is a sweet ride.

thanks vic. i like the thick necks. looks ample in the pics but you can get fooled by perspective.

I had one but traded it for a KPK longneck. I like the KPK better as it has a slightly longer scale and sounds slightly better. I would not have called the SLNG neck "thick". I think it was a little thinner than the KPK but hard to remember now. I liked it. I still think the laminate SLNG is the best bang-for-the-buck uke available.

I have a KA-SLNG and its neck is thicker than the standard Kala soprano neck, possibly because of the longer scale. I can't say it's overly thick, but coming from guitar just about any uke neck is going to feel slight.

The SLNG is a very nice uke which impressed me greatly when I got it, but I just got an aNueNue Mini Concert (same thing as a super or long-neck soprano) and with the same Aquila strings its tone is noticeably warmer and more "solid wood" sounding. I have a mild structural concern about the aNueNue (noted in another thread here) but I haven't yet decided whether it outweighs the uke's assets.

I wasn't aware of the KPK ukes. I just looked at their website, and I'm very impressed. I may just have to look into them someday.

I have the KA SLNG and the KA KSLNG and enjoy both. The necks are very similar at the nut but the KA KSLNG is slightly less thick (and less rounded) as you move up the fretboard (about 0.02 inch using a caliper at the 5th fret- certainly not scientific). Neither feel "thick" and are easy to play to me however I checked two of my Islander ukes (soprano 14 fret to the body and concert) and they are 0.05 inch less at the nut and about the same thickness as a cheap Mahalo I have (but wider of course as Kanilea uses a 1.5 inch nut).

I don't like thick necks.

I find that if the guy's neck is too thick to get my hands around, I need to karate chop him to the throat....

Top Bottom