Strap Button

ErnieElse

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wanting to install a strap button in the usual spot at the base of my Kala solid mahogany uke. I've read the instructions on line and checked that there is a piece of wood inside into which I will be drilling. All looks fairly straightforward but for some reason I feel pretty nervous about the job.

I have a couple of questions.

1) My uke has a strip of faux tortoise shell running front to back down the middle of the base, precisely in the spot where I'd like to put the button. Am I okay to drill through this so that I can centre the button correctly ?

2) Would you advise the use of an electric drill, manual drill or even a gimlet to drill the pilot hole ?

Very many thanks for any replies.

Ernie

I have installed many strap buttons, it is no different than drilling a hole into something and then putting a screw into that hole. The faux tortoise is plastic and it is no problem to drill into. You definitely want to use an electric drill. Proper size of the drill bit used is important because the faux tortoise will not compress or open up like wood as the screw is being inserted. Use a drill bit that has a diameter slightly larger than the shaft of the screw and slightly smaller than the outside diameter or thread edges of the screw. Install the screw with a screw driver, not an electric drill, unless you are real good with a drill.

Last edited:
I did it with a electric drill and it was smooth as silk. I was nervous too but it's a very simple operation. You might as well put in both and get a nice guitar strap for it. I've never looked back from straps. With a tenor, for me, they really help.

Don't forget to put a piece of painters tape over the spot you are drilling.

Don't forget to put a piece of painters tape over the spot you are drilling.

I'll second the comment about the tape, you simply do NOT want the drill (or any other tool) to slip!

Also, a smear of beeswax (or candlewax) on the thread of the screw will ease it's progress in :)

I also use an electric drill. I usually press the bit onto my mark and manually turn it just a little to start the hole (just enough so the bit has something to grip to later). Then I pull the trigger just enough to get it spinning slowly instead of going full out to get it started. Working slowly will also help you not accidentally let the hole go all the way through then the drill hit into the uke. Also keep in mind you can always drill the hole slightly larger if needed, but you can't do the opposite. So make sure you don't get a bit that is too big. If you want to be extra careful, drill your pilot hole with a smaller bit than needed, then work up to the correct size.
It's really not a difficult procedure at all if you jut take your time.

Top Bottom