Bracing dimensions for a Concert Ukulele

misha_da_fool

Reaction score
Hey folks, I know this is the oldest question in the book, but I am interested in hearing your thoughts on brace dimensions. I am building a concert sized Ukulele that is in the shape of a lute, a 'Ukelute'. I was thinking of two lateral braces and three fan braces as well as a bridge plate. I have built guitars only and was wondering what size to make my braces, before shaping.
Also, I notice lots of Ukuleles with a backstrip that cuts through the bridge plate. Can anyone clarify this?
I am familiar with the concept of mass as a cubed relationship and will build this uke with stiffness in mind.
Thanks so much in advance.

I build mostly classical guitars. As long as you don't mind a little bridge rotation like a usual soprano, three 5 mm wide x 3mm tall fans are enough for sound modulation. IMNSHO soprano ukes of most big brands actually perform better as musical instruments than their tenor ones.

I build mostly classical guitars. As long as you don't mind a little bridge rotation like a usual soprano, three 5 mm wide x 3mm tall fans are enough for sound modulation. IMNSHO soprano ukes of most big brands actually perform better as musical instruments than their tenor ones.

Thanks for the reply,
what do you mean by bridge rotation?

Top Bottom