Pono MTDX Strings?

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hello there,

I was wondering what strings you like the most for your MTD?

Thanks,
Petr

Strings are very subjective, so I suggest you buy a few different pairs and decide for yourself what works best. That being said, I have tried quite a few and prefer Savarez Alliance fluorocarbons for my mahogany tenor. I don't use the 150R set that they sell for the uke, but instead use singles from the 540R Alliance classicals. I prefer the slightly higher tension and the richer, warmer tone that I get from the slightly larger diameters that I'm using.

The 150R set is made up of the 540R Alliance classical strings by the way, just slightly thinner diameters on two of the strings.

I have a Pono MTD, which is the same model as yours.

I found many strings that sound good on it. Right now, I have D'adderio J71/65 on it.

The best thing you can do is go here

http://elderly.com/accessories/cats/STUK.htm

You should get about 8 different string sets. Here are some strings that you may like Ko'olau Golds, Savarez, La Bella, and Fremont. Also, try some sets that are all nylon or some that have a wound g or wound c. Strings are cheap investment that have a big impact on the sound of the instrument. Take this as a time to experiment and see what you like. If you put a set of strings on a uke and hate the sound then don't keep them on. I've heard many people praise the Worth Browns. I put them on my uke and hated them. They felt very mushy and the sound just was not there. Someone else may like the feel and sound of the Worths. It's just a matter personal preference and string choice is very dependent on the individual.

One thing about instrument is that even among the same model of ukulele, the same strings may sound different on it. It is a personal search for you to find what you like best. It's lot of fun experimenting with strings.

Justin

The stock strings sounds ok to me. I like that wound C string but it's hard to bend it for me. I just put on Living Waters Low G. The tension is lower. Plays louder. I find it easier to control the volume. I put back High G from the stock set of strings (what are these?). I'm keeping it that way for a while then I might get another set with high G of Living waters. Buying 8 packs of strings as you suggest, is almost equal to decent laminate ukulele. :D

By the way, I had to raise the action a litlte bit after switching to living waters from the original set of strings. The amplitude is bigger as the tension is lower - I got some buzzing. They vibrate more.

Last edited:
I have Pono Classics and one of them I have strung High G.

I use the Ko'olau wound G string from the Gold set of strings.

For the others I have used either Oasis Warm or Bright ... this combination offers tremendous sustain, volume and clarity. Also, they are easier to pick than the HML RW South Coast strings, IMHO.

Top Bottom