Transparent Plastic Ukuleles

juliaann

Reaction score
Anyone put a tiny strong of led lights in theirs? Does it effect the sound considerably? Melt the plastic?

I have the clear-ish outdoor uke and keep thinking it would be super fun for campfires and parties but haven't but the bullet yet.

:) j

Anyone put a tiny strong of led lights in theirs? Does it effect the sound considerably? Melt the plastic?

I have the clear-ish outdoor uke and keep thinking it would be super fun for campfires and parties but haven't but the bullet yet.

Someone is always the first to do anything..............here is your chance to be a trend setter. I love the idea, might have to buy one.

LEDs won't get hot enough to damage the plastic. I say go for it... and post before and after photos!

-Kurt​

Go for it. I don't think there's much that could make the Outdoor uke sound worse than it already does.

Go for it. I don't think there's much that could make the Outdoor uke sound worse than it already does.

Took the words right out of my mouth ;). If you're lucky, it will melt.

I would think the light strand might rattle around and make weird noises. But I could be wrong.

BUT, I love the idea. Try it. You can always take them out.

You could get the kind that are encased in a clear tube. Not sure if you can find battery operated ones. I was just suggesting those because they are stiff. They wouldn't jiggle around. If you could get about 3 feet and curl it wound the inside of the uke, it might work good.

Well that's very unkind. :(

I agree. That particular uke does not have the world's best reputation with some, but to have said so that way was unnecessary.

Enjoy your uke, regardless of what others may say. If you want lights in it, do that, too. The idea is to have fun (and to allow others to do the same)....

The new Makala Waterman clear plastic ukes sound better than the ODU from what little I have heard.

LOL, this reminded me of the Christmas I strung Christmas lights all over my Hog....I couldn't ride it, but it sure looked purty to my party guests!
Oops, I highjacked this thread......

Back on topic, I think it's a great idea. LED lights won't melt your plastic. I think the problem will be to keep them from rattling when you play.

What I would really like is fret board with led lights going from top to bottom with the sound.....maybe a rosette and headstock lights as well...

Lighting up an LED is about the easiest thing in the world. I make LED battery packs for jack-o-lanterns every Halloween.

The absolute simplest way to do it would be to use electrical tape, and LED, and a 3 volt watch battery to light up the inside of your uke. + to +, - to -, tape, and the LED lights up. Tape the pack inside the uke body when you play and you have a light-up ukulele. Take it out when you're done and disconnect the LED from the battery so you can use it repeatedly until the battery drains. You can literally light up your uke in about 30 seconds this way.

[EDITED to add] Now that I think of it, you could use a little velcro dot attached to the uke and one to the battery pack and not have to fuss with trying to tape it inside every time...

From there you can make it as complex as you like if you want to do a little research. You can add a bigger battery pack to power several LEDs, wire a hundred or so LEDs into a 120 volt system and plug your uke into the wall when you want to blind the audience, add an on/off switch, wire in arduino or pi boards for different effects and light patterns... whatever you want to do.

Just keep in mind that the more crap you put inside the ukulele the more your sound quality will deteriorate.

If it were me, I'd use a color LED (probably green. I like green) and solder it directly to a piezo disc, then glue the piezo under the bridge with rubber cement where it wouldn't be as noticeable. (Just like you would attach a piezo pick up.) Every time I caused enough vibration from strumming the LED would light up in color (Did I mention I like green?), and I'd never have to change a battery.

Last edited:
What I would really like is fret board with led lights going from top to bottom with the sound.....maybe a rosette and headstock lights as well...

Strobing fret markers would be fun.

If it were me, I'd use a color LED (probably green. I like green) and solder it directly to a piezo disc, then glue the piezo under the bridge with rubber cement where it wouldn't be as noticeable. (Just like you would attach a piezo pick up.) Every time I caused enough vibration from strumming the LED would light up in color (Did I mention I like green?), and I'd never have to change a battery.

That's an awesome idea.

It's a great idea. The Rickenbacker Lightshow guitar from the sixties did much the same thing, and now it's a highly valued collectable!

331lson.jpg

First post.

Bought the OU for my youngest daughter and got the "natural" version with the idea of adding lights.
My wife bought the lights at Brookstone but I have found them in other places online also.
The 3AA battery pack is heavy. Taped battery pack to back.

Does it change the sound? A little. It sounds like a plastic ukulele, wait...it is a plastic ukulele. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Q. How do you upload pics directly to reply?

Attachments

• christmas ukulele.JPG
    christmas ukulele.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Top Bottom