Slick/shiny neck

LDS714

Reaction score
Hi all!

Fairly new uker (if you don't count the plastic one my parents got me after seeing the Beatles' debut on Ed Sullivan when I was a tyke), but have been playing guitar and bass for almost 50 years, so forgive me if I don't pose the question well.

I have a Kala resonator uke that I absolutely love, it has that same 'groinky' type of tone that I love in my Dobros. Got it about three months ago, and am spending at least an hour per day plinking around on it (can't say that I can really 'play' it yet, but it's too much fun to put down). Anyway, it came with a satin-type open grain finish which I again absolutely love(d) the feel of. With the constant playing, it's become very smooth, slick and shiny, almost like a nitrocellulose or polyurethane finish. I'm guessing this may be due to the oil from my hand, because my U-Bass and newer Kala tenor are starting to do the same thing.

Is this normal? Is there any way to clean or treat it (them) to get that original feel back? I've thought about scrubbing the neck down with either soapy water or alcohol, but am afraid of either overhydrating or dehydrating the wood.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's the satin lacquer finish being "polished" as you play it, not from hand oil. If you really want the satin finish back, I guess you could over-spray it with a light coat of satin lacquer.

You could use 0000 steel wool or light 3M refinish pads and wool-lube.

BUT, that removes finish and will gloss up again. Learn to love it as it is.

My suggestion above to possibly use a satin overspray seems pretty goofy to me now that I've had time to think about it. I'd follow Doc's advice and learn to love it as it is.

looks like wiping off the instrument after playing it, including strings, may be the best advice when all is said and done.

OK, sounds like it's normal. I'll stop worrying about it and wait for it to get down to bare wood like some of my old basses.

Thanks!!!

Top Bottom