Painting a ukulele: abrasion-resistant clear coat for acrylics

cpmusic

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered already, but I haven't yet found the answer I'm looking for.

I've painted a ukulele with acrylics, and I want a clear finish that resists abrasion so the uke can be played without damaging the paint. This is especially important since the acrylic has left pits and valleys in places.

I bought Krylon Matte Finish (# 1311) with the impression that it's good for acrylics and used it on the headstock (turns out the product is not acrylic). It covered and dried nicely without smudging or rippling the paint or a water-slide decal, but it doesn't seem to be especially hard. I can dent it with my thumbnail, and I suspect that I could scratch it off if I tried. I know a finish needs to be flexible, but this seems to be too flexible.

This is okay on the headstock since it won't be subjected to much wear, but I have a feeling it won't hold up on the body if the uke is played.

Can anyone recommend a clear coat that resists abrasion? If available, I prefer a fast-drying spray with a satin or matte finish.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've been doing more searching....

Would a water-based polyurethane be suitable? I know I can test these things on scraps, but I don't want to buy a lot of products I may not have any use for later.

i use benjamin moore 'stays clear' on the floors in the house. it's a brush/spray liquid. it will go over anything as it's water based. not sure if it's available in quarts, or hits the right bases for you. good product however and as a cabinetmaker let me tell you it has as good an appearance as lacquer on hardwoods.

Top Bottom