How to safely clean strings?

sopher

Reaction score
I am using SouthCoast plastic strings on my uke and they seem to get oily and sticky from my fingers. What is safe to clean these with? Do they absorb water like nylon or is that safe? Is soap bad?

thanks

Dennis

I wipe the neck, fretboard, and strings with a microfiber cloth after playing, and that seems to prevent buildup of gunk.

The only time I've ever cleaned the strings on any of my instruments it was if I got bbq or chicken grease on them and even then it was reluctantly, especially on my basses.

What is safe to clean these with? Do they absorb water like nylon or is that safe? Is soap bad?
The advice I received was that cleaning the instruments occasionally with a damp cloth wouldn't do any harm. Fluorocarbon doesn't absorb moisture but the fret board might so the operative word is damp - not wet.

Can't comment on soap and personally I wouldn't try that. There are proprietary guitar cleaners that shouldn't do any harm if you want to spend the money. Another thing that might help is to get in the habit of washing hands prior to practice or playing. I started doing that more to wake up the fingers than as a hygiene measure, but it can't hurt.

There's that thing..

Personally, I just use a paper towel, and pinch each string then run up and down.
Or... if I'm lazy, I rub it on my t-shirt.

I wipe the neck, fretboard, and strings with a microfiber cloth after playing, and that seems to prevent buildup of gunk.

Another thing that might help is to get in the habit of washing hands prior to practice or playing. I started doing that more to wake up the fingers than as a hygiene measure, but it can't hurt.
I do both of those things and have never had a problem with my strings getting dirty. If you like to munch on Cheetos while you're playing, though...

If I was really concerned about it, I guess I'd ask Southcoast

I do both of those things and have never had a problem with my strings getting dirty. If you like to munch on Cheetos while you're playing, though...

It doesn't have to be while you're playing. Many moons ago I did corporate PC support. Employees were not allowed to eat at their desks. But even on the neat desks of people you'd consider clean, the mice would pick up boogies, and the beige keyboards would have discoloration. It just happens.

I wipe down the strings and the rest of the instrument after each use. An old Tony Soprano type t shirt does an excellent job.

Top Bottom