Help! Regular Chunking vs 3-finger chunking

Mik

Reaction score
In the More Than Words vid, it looks like Aldrine is not chunking. He may just be using the fingers to mute the strings and clicking his nails on the top for percussion. I'd send him a message and ask.

In the More Than Words vid, it looks like Aldrine is not chunking. He may just be using the fingers to mute the strings and clicking his nails on the top for percussion. I'd send him a message and ask.

There's a tutorial link below the More Than Words video. Right around 5:05, Aldrine mentioned the A-B-Chunk-B pattern for this song. It's pretty nice percussive technique. I guess my question boils down to whether regular chunking can sound just as good as this 3-finger chunking for this particular song.

He may just be using the fingers to mute the strings and clicking his nails on the top for percussion.

On second thoughts, you could very well be right about the clicking of his nails for percussion. It's bit unclear on the vid. Muting the strings alone certainly doesn't produce that much percussion.

Not sure everyone "chunks" the same anyway. I'm only concerned with the results and what's easiest for me to do.

Not sure everyone "chunks" the same anyway. I'm only concerned with the results and what's easiest for me to do.

I always have a fascination with percussion sounds. I love its rhythmic sound component. It adds a little more "kick" to my uke playing. More Than Words is one of the few songs (in my limited song collection that I know) that has this unique percussive component to it. My initial reaction was to just give up and go with what's easy, but I'd like to hear other opinions to see if this 3-finger chunking gives an extra overall sound "flair". I'll try to persist on this.

Top Bottom