LFdM: New Build in Progress

sam13

Reaction score
NEW PICTURES HAVE BEEN ADDED OF BELLA AFTER BUFFING ... cheers.

Hello All,

Last year, many of us have seen Ukuleles posted online as NUD’s or resales of world class luthier Luis Feu de Mesquita, referred to as an LFdM Ukuleles.

Well, my UU friend Hawaii50 who lives in Hawaii told me to check out this builder … and I was smitten with the tone, the look and UAS flared up. As I reviewed his site, I was shocked he was located in MY HOME TOWN about 10 minutes from my house. What fortune!

I picked up the phone and Luis was gracious enough to invite me to visit his shop to see his just finished line up of 5 Ukes. I told DownUpDave (he is the DuD) and we hit his shop like kids in a candy store.

OMG! We walked out 2 hours later having felt we met a luthier genius … on par with some of the greatest minds like Einstein, Voltare, Shakespeare, Homer Simpson, well you know what I mean :) … but in a Ukulele kind of way. Luis is one of the most gracious, caring, gentle and thoughtful people I have met. He is meticulous with design, and finishes focusing on tone.

I was completely at peace with buying from him … on the spot.

So I did. I put my money down early summer last year. Well, my wait is almost here (and so is my birthday … so yay for me). (DuD hesitated a bit and his will be ready in December this year.)

I thought it would be fun to show you the construction process of the Ukulele.

Luis likes the purchases to name their Uke, and I struggled with it for awhile but I would like to introduce you to: Bella (Beautiful in Italian).

Details of Bella:

Tenor
  • Top: Sinker Redwood
  • Back and Sides: Malaysian Blackwood
  • Cutaway
  • Grand Bouche (large mouth sound hole)
  • Rosette and Binding: Curly Koa
  • Sound Port
  • Laskin Armrest: Curly Koa
  • Radius Neck (of course … Sam I am, I am the Radius man … and you know it!)
  • Wider neck 1.5 inches at the nut (the neck does look wide, but I am 6’5” and have big hands so … it is perfect for me)
  • Bone Nut and Saddle
  • LR Baggs 5.0 pick up installed
  • Strings: South Coast HML RW

I provide the case, an older Pono case to fit the larger lower bout.

I saw Bella about a week ago. I love it, really love it.

I hope I have been able to get the pictures in the correct order.

Andrew Kitakis at Hawaii Music Supply is now the world wide retailer of LFdM Ukuleles. Contact him for more information. Enjoy

IMG_2345.jpgIMG_2303.jpgIMG_2302.jpgIMG_2346.jpgIMG_2349.jpg

Last edited:
more pictures of Bella.

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 94
Final pictures to date.

Sounds port needs to be added and it needs finishing ... enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 94
I am soooo happy for my friend, he deserves it. He was kind enough to bring me to Luis's house and introduce me to this fabulous gentleman. Until you have spoken to him at length you cannot fathom the depth of his knowledge and shear genius. I come from a technical background and listening to Luis talk about the smallest detail and how it affects tone is like listening to Steven Hawkings talk about the universe.We have had such a great time visiting with Luis on several occasions and playing a variety of his beautiful instruments.

Both sam13 and myself own some really good instruments but after Bella, Bella Bella shows up everything else will seem like driftwood. It will truely be one of the most beautiful LfdM ukuleles made and Luis crafts a tone second to none. I am almost as excited as sam13, because he is very deserving of this and the fact I get to PLAY IT.

Last edited:
Head stock photo ... wanted to share this with you ... great detail.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 74
Gorgeous! Sinker redwood really sounds great too! Can't wait to hear this one.

attachment.php

Ciao, Bella. You are a lucky man, Sam.

Gorgeous, Simon! Best of all, however, is getting to know the person who built your uke. Look forward to you receiving and hearing more about it!

Wow--even unfinished, the uke looks stunning! That sinker redwood is just wow!

Yowza! Bella got back! ;)

Sam13, that's amazing wood, anxious to see the finished product. I've always been crazy about the Selmer Maccaferri gypsy jazz grande bouche style when I played guitar, then nongdam (Daniel) showed me his LFdM when we where playing with the Westside ukulele Ensemble, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money, so I went with a lower cost Asian builder.

Buying a custom from a local maker is the best way to get a custom uke.

Yes I agree Bill.

Simon, what a wonderful story mate. To have developed a friendship with your builder and visit him. To have a ukulele built for you exactly how you want it. It's truly stunning. It is going to look ridiculous under finish. Thanks for sharing the background with us.

Just as an aside, I finally managed to touch base with a fellow in my own home town (which is very small) who has begun building ukes after a long career as a guitar maker and repairer. I hope I have a similar story to tell one day. Cheers brother.

Aloha Simon,
Looks amazing, great to see your uke be done. Congratulations it's a beauty.
Happy strummings my friend. ....

Congratulations, Simon! This combination of woods, paired with Luis' elaborate building style, will be the Mother of Ukes. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

It's exciting Simon!! You've played some ukes when you visited Luis so I'm sure you'll get one just as good.

Congratulations from a fellow LFdM fan! Luis is a fabulous builder and a wonderful person.

Top Bottom