Old Brown G;ue

I've been using it for a while now and have had good results. I tested it against the hide glue I mix up first and in my testing I couldn't tell the difference in holding power. It is a lot more forgiving as far as open time and I still heat up the OBG to 145 degrees but it doesn't set up as fast because of the urea, I think, that is in the mix. I have heard/read where hide glue with urea is weaker than regular hide glue but I couldn't tell the difference in my unofficial, fairly unscientific testing. I'd like to have that young man that does the videos maybe test it out like he did in his glue testing video. I really like that young man! I tested the Titebond liquid hide glue you can get here at the local hardware the the Titebond failed miserably.

Old Brown Glue works just fine. So does the Titebond liquid hide glue. Perhaps resoman got a bottle of Titebond LHG that was outdated? It only lasts a year, more if you keep it cool, probably less in high heat, and there's a use by date on the bottle. The OBG people won't ship you an outdated bottle, but your local hardware store probably couldn't care less about Titebond's use by date.

Fish glue is relatively slow setting, although it does give a long open time. I buy mine from Kremer but it's probably all from the same source.
I've never tried OBG but I have tried the Titebond stuff, many years ago. Compared to HHG I found it rather thick in consistency. Didn't really float my boat. You do hear horror stories about it although I can't comment either way, not enough experience of the stuff. I've been using Fish Glue for some 6 or 7 years and never found it to be a problem other than when I tried it on a Spruce centre joint. It gave more of a visible glue joint than HHG. I only use it for certain tasks (mainly for gluing Backs and linings on) so a bottle lasts me 2 or 3 years. My current bottle is 2 years beyond the sell by date and it still performs well. I get strong strings when doing the tack test between the fingers.

Last edited:
Well I fired up the double boiler to 140 degrees and tried some Old Brown Glue - I like it :) Going for some fish glue next. I'm going to start using these for bracing as a start just to get used to working times etc then see where it takes me. I'll keep you all posted but first test gluing was very good - great adhesion with absolutely no evidence of a glue line...

Hmmm. I thought Old Brown Glue did not need heating?
Fish glue is OK but a little harder to clean up than Hide glue.
The 140 degrees that everyone seems to think is some sort of commandment is only a guide. You can go higher than that, much higher. You just can't go too high for very long. It degrades the protein. 190 at 4 or 5 minutes is fine, just junk the stuff that is left over. Heating it at 140 for a few days continuous also degrades the protein. It's both time and temperature dependent but the idea that it has to be 140 bang on (or whatever it is) is simply nonsense.

Top Bottom