WTB Tenor Ko'olau CS w/ radius

bigbird1

Reaction score
I realize this may be a tough find used, but wondering if anyone might have a Ko'olau CS with radius fretboard to sell. I prefer a wood combination other than the Koas I already have. Many thanks. Mike

I realize this may be a tough find used, but wondering if anyone might have a Ko'olau CS with radius fretboard to sell. I prefer a wood combination other than the Koas I already have. Many thanks. Mike

I think there was one listed on this board about 3 weeks ago and to my knowledge it could still be available.

I believe the thread title was: Looking for a Trade or Sell High End Ukuleles.

I just sold my Ko'olau CS a couple of weeks ago. For what it's worth I think the Pono's are almost as good and in some ways better. The Ko'olau had better wood and the neck is a tiny bit slimmer. The Ko'olau had a tiny bit more projection. However, I found myself preferring to play the Pono and I really think any difference in sound might well have been imagined. The Pono Mahogany/Cedar is a fantastic combination.

I've had the opportunity to try both and just prefer the feel of the Ko'olau, which has a slimmer neck near the nut and a narrower nut width of about 1 3/8" versus 1 1/2". I agree they both sound very nice, but I guess it often comes down to what feels comfortable in one's hands which often equates to wanting to pick it up more and play it. Thanks for adding your words of wisdom/experience to the thread..the input is always helpful.

I just sold my Ko'olau CS a couple of weeks ago. For what it's worth I think the Pono's are almost as good and in some ways better. The Ko'olau had better wood and the neck is a tiny bit slimmer. The Ko'olau had a tiny bit more projection. However, I found myself preferring to play the Pono and I really think any difference in sound might well have been imagined. The Pono Mahogany/Cedar is a fantastic combination.

This is all quite true.

And yes, Bb, you are right that it does come down to feel, in the end. Oh, and pocketbook size. Lol.

I still have one Ko'olau, not the CS. I measured the neck - the nut width is 1 7/16. The nut width on the Pono is 1 7/16. I measured the circumference of the neck, just below the nut over the strings. On the Pono the measurement was 4 7/8. On the Ko'alau it was 4 6/8. On my Mya Moe the measurements were the same as the Ko'alau. My point is that the neck is thicker on the Pono but the difference is actually quite small.

If you don't want a Pono that's certainly your choice and I'm not trying to push you, but for the sake of people who read this thread I'd like to correct that my measuring tape shows the nut width of the Pono and Ko'olau to be exactly the same. The Pono is definitely a tad wider around and that may contribute to it feeling like it is also wider across. Initially I wasn't crazy about either the Pono or the Ko'olau because they both feel huge. They have grown on me.

Thanks for the information. Realizing the Ko'olau is more expensive, I cannot get used to the shape/feel of the Pono neck, but do feel comfortable with the other. Also, I find the K brand to be lighter on my gimpy hands. FYI, thought I would check things out from the builder's source rather than try for further measurements of the two ukes. Here's what I found--see the link: http://support.theukulelesite.com/customer/portal/questions/11329950-ko-olau-nut-width-neck-profile (see the "1 Community Answer" from Andrew Kitakis).

Last edited:
OK I can see that the measurement of both could be 1 3/8. In any event, if you don't like the Pono neck then you don't like it. I have made the same complaint to Andrew many times. I've gotten used to it, but for some people it's a deal breaker.

I absolutely love my Ko'olau CS tenor with milo sides/back and redwood top. HMS (ukulele site) has offered a few Ko'olau models one at a time in the past month. If you are interested in a new one (without the wait), you might check with Andrew Kitakis to see if they have any they are about to post.

Top Bottom