Lava strings ... which uke?

deschutestrout

Reaction score
I thought I'd give Lava's a try. For those that are string changers (like me) any excellent results on ukes you were pretty pleased with the sound to begin with? If so, what strings were on before the change, and what type of uke, i.e., size, wood, etc. Thanks!

I can't speak to a tangible change in tone, but I can vouch for a tangible improvement in feel--that is to say, the way the strings feel on your fingers.
The Lavas (and the pearly 'Super Nylgut', which are ostensibly the same, but without the gray coloring) are smooth to the point of feeling almost 'waxed', and do not squeak/drag when you slide your fingers over them.
I feel like this does improve playability to some small degree.
Plus, they pearly sheen is aesthetically nice, to the degree that it's even noticeable. ;)
I like 'em.

I put Lavas on my Ohana koa uke. It had Aquila whites (not the Supers) at first, which were ok. Then I put D'Addarios on it, which were okay. I switched to the Lavas and they're the best so far. I think they really look good against the koa wood, but disappear over the fretboard. I wrote a review in Ukulele Reviews here.

I have Lava's on my Ohana TK-38. Initially I found them to be a bit harsh which was surprising because I also was under the impression that they were basically like the Super Nylguts, which have become a favorite string of late. Last night I played it for the first time in a month and they seem to have settled in and have lost some of the stiffness that I felt when I first put them on. Not completely sold on them yet but not disliking them like I previously did.

Top Bottom