Kinnard Large Soprano Build Started - Yippeeee!

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I'm sooooo very excited: John Kinnard has started on my large body soprano, which I'm getting through HMS. Of course, HMS is always tops. I've also gotten to know Kevin Beddoe of Kinnard pretty well over the last year and have had the pleasure of playing about 15 of John Kinnard's ukes. I'm a BIG fan of his work and thrilled to finally join the Kinnard owners' group.

This uke is being made with a claro walnut body and western red cedar top. Appointments include herringbone rosette & rear center strip, side sound port, ebony fretboard & bridge, and a shaped fretboard end (instead of straight cut).

A fellow uu'er that I've both sold and bought from is also getting one, though his appointments are somewhat different. It's been fun to compare notes.

Ahhh, May seems like a long wait!

View attachment 78801View attachment 78803View attachment 78804View attachment 78805

Thanks for the update Eddie! Keep the pictures coming!

Welcome to the Kinnard Family! Love my Kinnard mahogany tenor, as good as it gets!

Congrats Eddie. You are working with three winners. John, Kevin and HMS. What a trifecta!

Gonna be a beauty, I love westerrn red cedar and walnut. The heribone centre strip in the back is a very classy touch.

Eddie,

Congrats on the new Uke ... I have recently been bitten by the Kinnard bug ... they are tremendous instruments and I am happy for you to have something so great.

Curious, because I might just want one ... what is a large bodied Soprano ... and do you know if Kinnard would do that model with a Concert neck with radius? Will contact Andrew and HMS ... but thought I would ask.

Eddie,

Congrats on the new Uke ... I have recently been bitten by the Kinnard bug ... they are tremendous instruments and I am happy for you to have something so great.

Curious, because I might just want one ... what is a large bodied Soprano ... and do you know if Kinnard would do that model with a Concert neck with radius? Will contact Andrew and HMS ... but thought I would ask.

The body is a little deeper and the lower bout a little bigger than a traditional soprano. I also spec'd mine with a 1 1/2 inch fretboard width.

Andrew was so smitten with the first one he saw/played ('hog body / cedar top IIRC), that he bought it and negotiated an exclusive on them:

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2014/11/30/john-s-kinnard-premier-luthier/

Regarding doing one with a concert neck, if John can get the bridge in the right spot, I don't see why he wouldn't do it. I've pinged Kevin to ask him and will update this when I hear back.

Update: No problemo. They could do a concert neck so it would be 15" scale. FYI, the large body soprano is 13 3/4 inch scale, so a tad longer than what is typical.

Last edited:
Eddie. Thanks, bud.

This sounds really excellent and might just have to get one. I am looking for a really awesome Super Soprano, and I think you have just nailed the magic elixir right there! In an effort to keep this up the charts ... any idea on the wait time for a Kinnard?

:music:

Eddie. Thanks, bud.

This sounds really excellent and might just have to get one. I am looking for a really awesome Super Soprano, and I think you have just nailed the magic elixir right there! In an effort to keep this up the charts ... any idea on the wait time for a Kinnard?

:music:

Present backlog is 24-26 weeks, so pretty short relative to similarly regarded luthiers. John has also been making 19" tenors for Kimo Hussey, so maybe you should get one to match the super soprano! ;-)

Excellent choice in ukes! : ) Those of us who have Kinnards love them. I played the prototype soprano and it was really great, a superb sound and the Kinnard playability. The 1 1/2 nut width is an interesting choice and should match up really well with all the other proportions. Congratulations and keep the progress pics coming.

Congratulations! That ukulele is going to be beautiful. I've gotten to know Kevin pretty well (I haven't met John yet but I hope to sometime soon) and I've been very impressed with Kinnard instruments. There was a walnut tenor at the reno Ukulele Festival this past weekend and it was exquisite. I've signed on for John to build me a tenor guitar. I can hardly wait!

Congratulations! That ukulele is going to be beautiful. I've gotten to know Kevin pretty well (I haven't met John yet but I hope to sometime soon) and I've been very impressed with Kinnard instruments. There was a walnut tenor at the reno Ukulele Festival this past weekend and it was exquisite. I've signed on for John to build me a tenor guitar. I can hardly wait!

That's awesome. I've played one of John's tenor guitars and it was really fantastic. Look forward to hearing more about your build!

Really lovely instrument. The herringbone is a great, classy touch.

I was looking at a Mya Moe ... but I think I am going to have to get one of these Eddie. Thanks for sharing.

I was looking at a Mya Moe ... but I think I am going to have to get one of these Eddie. Thanks for sharing.

I had to choose between these two fine builders and needless to say i went with the Kinnard and since then my Kinnard tenor killed my UAS completely. I can't recommend the whole Kinnard experience enough, from the chatting over the wood choices through the actual build to playing the actual instrument. The only difficult aspect was paying for it :) Very highly recommended...

Bill

BTW Sam, last year i met DUD in TO with my Kinnard tenor and concert and he had a little strum. We met in the parking lot of a Starbucks so it wasn't the best of conditions but he can at least give you his impressions of actually playing one.

I had to choose between these two fine builders and needless to say i went with the Kinnard and since then my Kinnard tenor killed my UAS completely. I can't recommend the whole Kinnard experience enough, from the chatting over the wood choices through the actual build to playing the actual instrument. The only difficult aspect was paying for it :) Very highly recommended...

Bill

BTW Sam, last year i met DUD in TO with my Kinnard tenor and concert and he had a little strum. We met in the parking lot of a Starbucks so it wasn't the best of conditions but he can at least give you his impressions of actually playing one.

Hey Bill

I have told him about our little get together in the Starbucks parking lot more than a few times. I mean how often does one get to meet a fellow uker that pulls a Kinnard tenor, concert and soprano out of the trunk of his car. Felt like a scene from a very weird but very cool movie. Hope you are keeping well and let me know when you are in Toronto again. The three of us will hook up and play some ukes........even if it is in a Starbucks parking lot.:cool:

Last edited:
Hey Bill

I have told him about our little get together in the Starbucks parking lot more than a few times. I mean how often does one get to might a fellow uker that pulls a Kinnard tenor, concert and soprano out of the trunk of his car. Felt like a scene from a very weird but very cool movie. Hope you are keeping well and let me know when you are in Toronto again. The three of us will hook up and play some ukes........even if it is in a Starbucks parking lot.:cool:

Thanks for sharing Bill. Dave has told me about your Kinnard Collection ... very impressive builder and quality ukuleles.

Next time we will have to hit a busy Starbucks patio and busk for coffee money! LOL

Top Bottom