Hey, you lurkers!!!!!

Ukejenny

Reaction score
There are currently 262 users online. 70 members and 192 guests​

I wish more of our guests would come out and introduce themselves!!!

I know 2 people who come here but never comment....shall I out them?

Many are likely search spiders from Google and such. False hope.

Oh ye of little faith!!!!

Zactly. :shaka: ;)

I could believe the moon is green cheese and all the faith in the world doesn't change the reality.

I'll put my money where my mouth is. The first 10 new members who join within the next couple days I invite to say hello in this thread. Then go post an introduction and send me their address in a PM I will send a wonderful ukulele hanger tied from rainbow colored para-chord as a free gift from me.

Please do not fear joining we dont bite and I'm a businessman who has a public address and presence.

http://inksplosive.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Inksplosive

Hello, I am Tony, A.K.A. Tudorp.. ;)

Don't assume all lurkers are non-members. I check in several times a day, but when I am at work, I do not sign in when I am on a work computer.

Except for my office computer, I am around shared computers all day long in the classrooms and labs, and those have a program that wipes the computer each night, so even auto saved passwords disappear. One can take some extra steps to save stuff that is not in the original default -Firefox browser is an example - otherwise it won't be there the next day. I am sure the IT team can bring the computer histories back to life, but I can't.

This makes my work life sound very Orwellian. But as long as I teach my classes and conduct office hours, nobody cares what I do. However, anything that has an electronic footprint can be subject to public scrutiny. So, I don't log in.

I do log in when at work if I bring my own laptop or if I am on my phone, mostly because my log-in is auto-saved. But, even when I am on those devices, if I have recently purged cookies or purged auto-saved passwords, I lurk until there is a video I want to watch or a post to which I want to respond, and don't log in until then. Sometimes I don't even realize I am logged out until then.

Last edited:
I drop by about every day I'm near a computer but don't log in unless I have something to say or want to view a pic or video.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't consider myself a bad person for that. As actadh above, I don't care to leave electronic footprints all over the place.

Hi, all. I'm Andy from Arizona. Been here a few months, and post only occasionally, but I come and browse fairly often. I'm glad this community exists!

Many people are insecure and shy about such things. I have a friend who lurks and has for a very long time. That's just the way it is.

this post has a "hey come in the pool, the water's warm!" feel to it... come on lurkers, come in the forum, the water's warm and everyone's really nice in here!

If you put on your Guardian eyes and throw a pinch of Guardian salt, here is another angle:
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...it-will-take-more-than-twitter-to-change-that
Bill1's link brings up the issue of people not wishing to be trolled flamed or otherwise harrassed. When I decided to join UU I had similar concerns because of problems in the past. I decided to join and used my IamNoMan persona. Until I joined the Seasons people were asking if I was male or female. Well I'm a Hobbit! Ukulele Underground is the most hassle free community I have or do engage on. Feel free to use a Nom de Net if you wish but joining in the commentary is the best way to experience the community just as playing music is the best way to learn music.

this post has a "hey come in the pool, the water's warm!" feel to it... come on lurkers, come in the forum, the water's warm and everyone's really nice in here!

Yes, that was my intent. I'm not trying to shame anyone. I am much too fun for that.

Yes, UU forum is the nicest I've ever been, I don't post much because I prefer to read and learn.... And yes, the water is ware and the people is nice over here....

Well, I suppose my first post had to come sometime, seeing as I've been lurking for over a year... hello everyone! Jake from PA here, going to try to be more active from this point on!

I "lurked" for so long it almost feels weird being able to post. :) I did make my introductory post and will probably make another one later about a couple new ukes I'm thinking about. Most of the time I'm online and able to do anything I'm usually playing my uke or something at the same time. Just easier to read and lurk. I just never get enough time to do anything.

Hi I'm Mick! I'm not sure if I've introduced myself before or not, but I'm wishing more and more to put it out there, where ukulele is concerned. I'm a native Kentuckian (a Kentucky Colonel at that -- harumph, harumph), and a disinterested former mediocre hobby guitar player. I bought my first ukulele, a Harmony Baritone, at a yard sale about 20 years ago and played it like a guitar (in spirit) for about 15 of those years, dragging it all over the world without so much as a case. Always good for smiles in airports. About five years ago, two things happened:

1. On a family trip to Wilmington NC, a hotel dude saw my baritone and asked "are you going to that ukulele school?" Which I wasn't, but after his comment, I reached out and met Kent Knorr of the Ukulele Academy of NC, who blew my mind and gave me my first private lesson. I'm proud to call Kent my Kumu.
  2. Shortly thereafter, a friend who runs a belly dance studio sponsored a good-time beginners afternoon workshop with Heidi Swedberg and Daniel Ward. It was magical, and I began to really become smitten with ukulele. (And since then, I'm happy to have kept them both as inspirations, teachers, and friends).
In the last five years, I've severed all connections to that damned dusty guitar that sits on my shelf (whyyyyy are they sooooo BIG?) in favor of ukulele. I roll with and sometimes arrange for our own little group/salon/club called The Lexingtones (that's me in the white shirt, firing the remote to make the portrait (I'm a photographer, too)) and we will see YOU at the Ukulele World Congress in June. Please!

I love ukulele. I love that it got me so completely back into music after 20 years of floundering on guitar. I love sharing it and am thrilled and humbled to be asked increasingly to teach, which is one of the great joys/honors of my current life. I delight in leading an adult student group and have plans to teach 4th graders in the fall and also embark upon a program of "ukulele therapy" for children with learning differences.

If you wanna get uke nerdy, I don't have much for you, but I love what I have:
  • My venerable, storied Harmony Baritone (rockin' my always evolving low-G CEA tuning)
  • The Mahalo soprano that I bought from Heidi as a gesture of commitment/affection after her workshop. I'll always treasure it because she wrote "Go Bunny Go!" on the back on it with a Sharpie.
  • My Mainland Concert that I adore -- because how can you do much better for $250, it's loud as hell, beautiful and it was my first "real" ukulele.
  • My Koa'loha Concert which I treasure and am so fortunate to own because a more "well-endowed" collector wanted me to have my dream uke so much that he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
Sorry this is so long. That's how much I love ukulele and the gifts and friends that playing has brought me. I hope to meet many of you in whatever ways our paths may cross. Please come to Ukulele World Congress and say "hi." I'll probably have green hair.

Top Bottom