UOGB in New England

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
I saw the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain last night in Burlington, Vermont - I know Ivan Olarte is seeing them tonight in New Hampshire - and they were superb.

Neither Hester nor Will were with them last night, and a wonderfuil young lady named Liesa Rea was in Hester's spot.

OF all the YouTube videos I've seen, last night was the first night I really heard Kitty sing - she was great!

Jonty's whistling, Richie's simultaneous singing/playing of the lead, Dave's asides...

All wonderful, all spectacular.

Not too many people had ukes with them, and not too many stayed for autographs after the show, which was too bad, but the performers were obviously tired.

The guy ahead of me was getting a G-String tenor signed, and I decided not to have my uke signed ; I still play all of them, and I've worn off Jake's signature already from my Vita Uke, so instead, I had my copy of The Ukes Down Under signed.

Unfortunately, due to the VAT stupidity, not to mention the whole duty in/duty out thing both here and in Europe, there was no merchandise to be had - so I settled for some nice conversation and some handshakes.

Many of the people in the audience knew nothing about the UOGB, and several were somewhat mystified by ukuleles in general. During the intermission, one man saw my case, and started asking a few questions - so I opened the case, pulled my Fluke out, and started explaining about ukuleles. And then there was another question. And another, and another. So I kept answering.

Too bad we didn't get a Uke Jam going - one member of the Montpelier Ukulele group talked about starting a jam before the show with me, but didn't uncase his instrument before walking away.

My wife got one quick shot during the autographing:

UOBG 4-21-15.jpg

And now I'm going to bed. It was a long couple of hundred mile drive today, in the rain.

-Kurt​

They were here in Kansas City a few weeks ago. Great show. Too much overlap with their show two years ago, though. The performance was nearly flawless. Always a good time.

Hey Kurt. They put on quite a show, eh? I saw them back in January in Boston. I took my parents and brother with me. None of them play the uke or knew anything about the UOGB. My dad said that it was one of the best nights out that he could remember. Ivan is in for a treat. :)

Burlington, Boston, all of New Hampshire...these are my old stomping grounds. You guys are making me homesick!

As to the music, sounds like "dem cats sho can play dem tiny toy geetars!"

Kurt thanks for the review. Cool photo you got!

Aside from a great performance the UOGB had a Q&A session after and were nice enough to sign my signature Uke (first one I ever bought, from the late MusicGuyMike) and some photos I brought.

Seeing them live is a unique experience. Technically they are awesome and I enjoyed watching all of them very intently. They each play different parts. They all participate in everything from singing to playing to a hilarious dry British humor. Without heavy British accent but with a lot of smart and tounge in cheek lines.

One comment David made which makes perfect sense is that they don't see themselves as ukulele player first. They see themselves as performers. And boy they are great overall performers.

Another memorable Ukulele night

I always being a couple of publicity shots and all the artists I've seen have been very gracious to sign them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sure enjoyed their performance in Melbourne, FL last Thursday evening.

I saw them in Gainesville, FL on Sunday. It was a wonderful experience. They stayed at the same hotel as We did. There were nine of us from our ukulele group down from Pensacola. They did a question and answer session prior to the show and signed autographs afterwards. I had them sign an ukulele I built from a cheap kit. The concert was fabulous, they continue to evolve. The theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Was simply amazing improved over the YouTube videos I have seen.
If you haven't seen them and they come close to your neck of the woods, go see them. You won't regret it
Cliff

Burlington, Boston, all of New Hampshire...these are my old stomping grounds. You guys are making me homesick!

As to the music, sounds like "dem cats sho can play dem tiny toy geetars!"

Time to come back home for a visit Steve. I went to college in Burlington, grew up outside of Boston, and have lived on The Cape for twenty three years now. My folks have had a place in NH since I was twelve, in Moultonboro and Meredith. Climbed all of the 48 four thousand footers in the Whites, and spent the formative years of my life there. We may have some hellacious winters here, but there ain't no place like New England, IMHO.

Yep as a Colombian immigrant to the U.S. At 9 and growing up in nyc I gotta say New England rocks!

I moved to southern Massachusetts 25 years ago and love the whole area from Connecticut to Maine. New Hampshire is a great place to vacation in if you love the mountains.

Yep as a Colombian immigrant to the U.S. At 9 and growing up in nyc I gotta say New England rocks!

I moved to southern Massachusetts 25 years ago and love the whole area from Connecticut to Maine. New Hampshire is a great place to vacation in if you love the mountains.

I wish I was back in MA so we could have a beer, Ivan. I truly do. Steve

Time to come back home for a visit Steve. I went to college in Burlington, grew up outside of Boston, and have lived on The Cape for twenty three years now. My folks have had a place in NH since I was twelve, in Moultonboro and Meredith. Climbed all of the 48 four thousand footers in the Whites, and spent the formative years of my life there. We may have some hellacious winters here, but there ain't no place like New England, IMHO.

Dana, holy heck! I want to do the 48 4k footers. I'd have to do them in a month, though, bc I can't afford to stay out there longer. I'm considering the Presi Traverse, actually; 20 mile grueling day hike Over the big 7 Presidents. Either when I'm there this summer or next visiting.

God, you're folks live near Lake Winnie. God's best work. Wow, the Cape. U sure are a lucky bird.

Dana, holy heck! I want to do the 48 4k footers. I'd have to do them in a month, though, bc I can't afford to stay out there longer. I'm considering the Presi Traverse, actually; 20 mile grueling day hike Over the big 7 Presidents. Either when I'm there this summer or next visiting.

God, you're folks live near Lake Winnie. God's best work. Wow, the Cape. U sure are a lucky bird.

My folks actually live on Winnipesauke. :)

That is an ambitious day Steve. If you stayed at the huts it would be more feasible. I have done the Presidents many times. The Southern Presidents are some of my favorite places in the Whites to hike. If you want to traverse the ridge in a day, I would recommend staying in the Madison Spring Hut one night and hiking from north to south. The Crawford Path is a little easier to tackle at the end of a long day and you could spend the night in the Mizpah Hut. The AMC runs a hiker's shuttle that you can take. I would recommend parking your car at the Highland Center in Crawford Notch and taking the shuttle to Appalachia at the beginning of your hike, so that you finish your hike at your car. :)

Saw them in Hanover, NH Wednesday night and it was a really great show.

Our club had a Uke Open Mic at EBA's (Local pizza place) beforehand and looking around the auditorium it was basically a who's-who of local uke plyers. I'd say ukers outnumbered non-ukers by a large margin.

My folks actually live on Winnipesauke. :)

That is an ambitious day Steve. If you stayed at the huts it would be more feasible. I have done the Presidents many times. The Southern Presidents are some of my favorite places in the Whites to hike. If you want to traverse the ridge in a day, I would recommend staying in the Madison Spring Hut one night and hiking from north to south. The Crawford Path is a little easier to tackle at the end of a long day and you could spend the night in the Mizpah Hut. The AMC runs a hiker's shuttle that you can take. I would recommend parking your car at the Highland Center in Crawford Notch and taking the shuttle to Appalachia at the beginning of your hike, so that you finish your hike at your car. :)

Thanks for the advice, friend. Sounds like great ideas. I'd like the challenge of doing it in a day, and have a pal, Larry Davis, who has climbed Mt Monadnock 6900 times (do you know the famous Larry Davis?) who could carry me the final four miles or so if need be. Lol. It'd have to be in pristine weather though. I'd try it like these guys (you know these very trails).
http://youtu.be/c9hExs3tR1A
There's also the mini traverse, which is three peaks parking at Cog Railway hikers' lot; some vids on that, too. I'll have to get back up there for sure.

Living on Lake Winnie! I'm fainting now.

Last edited:
Saw them in Hanover, NH Wednesday night and it was a really great show.

Our club had a Uke Open Mic at EBA's (Local pizza place) beforehand and looking around the auditorium it was basically a who's-who of local uke plyers. I'd say ukers outnumbered non-ukers by a large margin.

That sounds like fun, Sporin. Thx for the info. Sounds like you have a neat uke club, and pizza, too. Nice!

Did you know JDS? Frankly, I popped over from Windsor to his road in Cornish (Lang Road) and spotted his wife, Colleen, walking his dog. Was it you, or someone else on UU, that said they used to see him at the church dinners in Windsor. You live in a beautiful area. Love St Gaudens and Ascutney (Quechee Gorge a tad overrated, perhaps...lol).

Kurt, thanks for letting us run with this thread a bit.

Last edited:
Yes Kurt, sorry for the brief hijack of the thread. Now back to the UOGB!

That sounds like fun, Sporin. Thx for the info. Sounds like you have a neat uke club, and pizza, too. Nice!

Did you know JDS? Frankly, I popped over from Windsor to his road in Cornish (Lang Road) and spotted his wife, Colleen, walking his dog. Was it you, or someone else on UU, that said they used to see him at the church dinners in Windsor. You live in a beautiful area. Love St Gaudens and Ascutney (Quechee Gorge a tad overrated, perhaps...lol).

Kurt, thanks for letting us run with this thread a bit.

I don't think many people really "knew" JDS very well, and certainly no one my age. : )

Colleen regularly attends the Turkey Suppers we put on in the fall at our church. JD preferred the Roast Beef Supper at the UCC Church here in town.

Our local Uke Club is pretty great, we have a very dedicated leader (Dennis Fuchs) who spreads the Ukulele Gospel far and wide. :)

Top Bottom