Facilla Ukes?

RAB11

Reaction score
I've got a touch of UAS but I've got a very small budget. Literally I just want a uke to keep in the office so I can play it on my lunch break, so tone isn't a big deal.

Thinking I'll probably go for a Korala Explore as they seem like a really good deal but I had a quick look at what Amazon's got for dead cheap (I really don't want to have THIS discussion, when the time comes for me to get a proper new uke, I will get it from a proper music shop). Anyway, I saw a couple interesting options but then came across some ukes for about 30 quid that seemed to have a lot of detail to them. Reminded me of the Bruce Wei ukes people keep posting. They look well-built, and not out of ply-wood either, have interesting finishes and a bit of bling, as well as strap buttons. So I'm intrigued. Definitely from the far-east but has anyone got experience of these?

Couple of examples:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soprano-Uku...l-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1429774099&sr=1-425

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soprano-Uku...l-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1429774052&sr=1-316

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soprano-Uku...l-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1429773918&sr=1-164

They all seem to be from different 'stores' but the first two have got the same description and look to be from the same people. Can't quite make out the label in the 'zebrawood' one though.

My workulele is a Tom pocket uke I bought brand new for $38, including shipping. Tuned up to CFAD, it's like an oozing fountain of happiness. I not only keep it at my desk, but I carry it in my car to play at stoplights.

While it has become one of my favorite ukes, for $38, I won't be devastated when somebody finally steals it.

Hey Ryan :) I wonder if it's the same as my Rubin uke. Looks exactly the same and I got it on Amazon. I really like this little gem. Have a listen here:

I also like the Kealoha all plastic uke I got on Amazon for 45 bucks. I actually bought 2 to compare. One has great intonation and action and the other is less desirable. I don't know why they aren't identical. I'm thinking the quality an action of the above Rubin could have the same issues and I just got lucky with mine.

Good luck in your quest.

May I suggest something with four strings that stays in tune is as cheap as chips and you wouldn't be heart broken if you stood on it.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ukulele-by-Gear4music/CAO?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+G4M&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=G4M.+Ukulele&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=15936d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=95042629759&gclid=CMT40ODljcUCFSzMtAod0xQABg

..and maybe just a few quid on some lighter guage strings if these prove to be the same thickness as the hawsers you use in Pompeii Dockyards.

I spent £10.00 on a Lazy Palm 5 years ago ....it 's my fave.........and now I would be heart broken if I damaged it.

Last edited:
Hey Ryan :) I wonder if it's the same as my Rubin uke. Looks exactly the same and I got it on Amazon. I really like this little gem. Have a listen here:

Does look exactly the same. I like the sound of it too. Unfortunately the Treasurer (her indoors) isn't as keen on the idea. "Why don't you just take the red one to work?" which is a good point but doesn't cure UAS. Ah well.

Ceej, I'll be honest if I got one of them I may as well just stick with the Dolphin I already have.

Does look exactly the same. I like the sound of it too. Unfortunately the Treasurer (her indoors) isn't as keen on the idea. "Why don't you just take the red one to work?" which is a good point but doesn't cure UAS. Ah well.

Ceej, I'll be honest if I got one of them I may as well just stick with the Dolphin I already have.

Well ? That's exactly what I meant . I haven't seen little Dolph for a while .

Just tighten up the loose screws here and there on the tuners ....maybe a set of lighter,snappier strings. Worth Browns ?...save a few quids towards a mondo gorgoe (bloody hell hark at that bollox !! LOL) uke and off you go ...sometimes playing a tricky little uke and fighting it to make it sound good helps technique and develop skills. Just a thought . It is going to the office after all.

Cheers.

BTW the Facilla looks cool.

Last edited:
Yeah, the darn curse of UAS, there is no cure but temporary relief is available with purchase. Hang in there!!

Well ? That's exactly what I meant . I haven't seen little Dolph for a while .

Just tighten up the loose screws here and there on the tuners ....maybe a set of lighter,snappier strings. Worth Browns ?...save a few quids towards a mondo gorgoe (bloody hell hark at that bollox !! LOL) uke and off you go ...sometimes playing a tricky little uke and fighting it to make it sound good helps technique and develop skills. Just a thought . It is going to the office after all.

Cheers.

BTW the Facilla looks cool.

Ah well in that case job's a good'n. Sorry if I came off like a prat in my last post.

EDIt: Mondo gorge?

Top Bottom