Too many instruments?

kypfer

Reaction score
Do you ever pick up a ukulele that you haven't used for a while and wonder "Why don't I play this beautiful thing more often?"

I tend to get "locked into" a mode or style of playing and stick with whichever I feel is the best instrument for the job ... banjolele for clawhammer, concert ukulele for lute music etc. ... often to the extent of ignoring the other instruments on the wall/rack/floor or wherever they've been "stored" ... then suddenly "remember" that my tenor/baritone/soprano or whatever may well be better for a particular tune or arrangement ... at which point that instrument becomes my "current focus of attention" ... and so it goes 'round!

Maybe I should get out more ;)

Do you ever pick up a ukulele that you haven't used for a while and wonder "Why don't I play this beautiful thing more often?"

I don't, but probably because I've never had more than four ukes at any given time. I play three regularly (low G and reentrant concert scale, and a reentrant soprano) and once that 4th one starts giving me "sad and neglected" vibes, off it goes to a new home. Having repeated this cycle several times throughout my playing lifetime, I'm wondering if I've finally learned that three is my magic number... we shall see :)

No, because I only have three ukes, and one of them is a beater. The other two are strung low g and high g.

Yes because I have too many. When I get that feeling I go through the ones I'm not playing and pick some to sell or donate or give to friends.

Begs for the definition of "too many" :confused:

I've reduced the stable for that reason. I tend to get hands-on with each instrument at least once a week, and a couple (8-string tenor, baritone) usually get daily time. On usually-weekly "banjo day" both the tenor banjo and banjo uke get exercise.

I've noticed a lot of nice instruments out there lately, but am trying to keep to a "one added means one must go" policy.

Yes, and this happens with other instruments too - not just ukuleles. The problem is that I have too many interests and too little time for them all. I've been blessed with enough spare change to be able to afford to experience a broad range of instruments... not all at once but by saving up over time. And some of my favorites are not so beautiful to look at, instead they are beautiful to listen to (at least to me). The most important thing is that when I return to an old favorite I sometimes find some new songs hiding in among the wood, glue, and wire. It's this discovery that is the most fun and rewarding part of music.

Yes, My problem is that I can't list them on my signature, just too darn many given the word count or such. How many do I need? "Just one More"

I generally rotate ukes everyday. For example, today I'm using my Firefly then tomorrow my tenor. I just ordered a RISA tenor stick, and with my first son due in about 2 weeks, I feel that I'll be using that one the most (unplugged obviously).

I only play one of my ukes, so I have been giving serious thought to selling the other three.

Yes, I have 3 sopranos, a baritone and a handful of concerts. Weird thing is that right now, only two are getting any air time: a 20s hollywood concert and the cheapest one, a kala laminate concert. Whenever this happens I always feel guilty and start selling. (Then I feel like I need more and so start buying again). Rinse and repeat. I need a doctor. :p

I need a doctor. :p

:agree: You and me both brother. I have a serious problem.

I have more than a dozen ukes in all different shapes, sizes, tunings, and strings. I just can't get enough ukulele. Every moment I am not playing, I am thinking about playing. It's starting to interfere with the rest of my life in a bad way. Maybe I've become fixated. :eek:

UU is both a support group for UAS and it's withdrawal symptoms, as well as being a bunch of enablers, I love being a member of this forum, but damn all those NUD posts!!! LOL :)

Somebody STOP me!!!

I only play one of my ukes, so I have been giving serious thought to selling the other three.
Keep one......just in case.

I regret selling my KoAloha concert. What if some day I need to send my ukulele to Chuck for some fine tuning? I finally got a Mainland tenor. But I shoulda kept the KoAloha.

I'm parring down my collection, now down to 5 with one on the shopping block, 4 is more than enough for me, but I'm getting crazy with small basses now (as Booli can attest). I'm up to 5 (one in the cabinet waiting for a future fix) and I'm afraid I might go for 2 more custom basses, we'll see. I do rotate between them, and trying to fit in the ukes as well, but the bass is so much fun.

Thanks for all your thoughts :)

It's interesting to see such a wide range of opinions!

Doubtless my situation is compounded not just by "too many" ukes but also "too many" guitars ... then there's the banjo and the mandolin ... and all those pernickerty wooden tubes with holes in!

I'll retire some time in the not too distant future, provided I can afford to (if I don't buy too many more instruments ;) then I'll have more time to play. In the meantime ... they're "investments" ;)

Uhm with over 40 ukuleles hanging on the walls of a humidified room. I have realized it's more than just a passion to play Uke but also the enjoyment of the the varied palette of sizes, tunings, materials, vintage etc.

I've been working steadily since I was 14. I'm now 53 and have provided for our family of 4 for the last 25 years. I have a house almost paid for a healthy 401k account and a steady career as an IT Widget.

After surviving prostate cancer last year which left me cures but with incontinence, ED, and a lot of emotional issues with my siblings and my closest and oldest friend I changed my and have no guilt left about buying and enjoying my Ukes.

Life is too short and after all my responsibilities are met I enjoy purchasing what I want and enjoying it to its fullest.
So I have a beautiful collection which I enjoy using.

One of my favorite things to do is to play the same tune on different Ukes until I find the right one.

And when I'm finally gone. The Ukes will be either donated to kids club or left as investments for my sons to at their proper market value.

"Too many instruments"........ WTF......... Life might be short but is it awfully wide, if you want it to be. Fill it up with the stuff you love and love to do. Uke is not a noun it is a verb. Once you have checked out from the buffett table of life there is no going back. Get em while you can.

If you can swing it go for it.

Well said!

"Too many instruments"........ WTF......... Life might be short but is it awfully wide, if you want it to be. Fill it up with the stuff you love and love to do. Uke is not a noun it is a verb. Once you have checked out from the buffett table of life there is no going back. Get em while you can.

There is nothing wrong with saying, "I'm a collector." Doesn't it have an almost academic ring to it? Yes, it does!!!! Especially if you say it with one eyebrow arched while gently rubbing your chin.

I actually don't have too many. I started with a tenor, which my husband now claims, so I don't count that one. I have a concert, a soprano, and an outdoor ukulele in the van. That's it for me.

BUT! I have gotten to purchase quite a few ukuleles!!! I've helped many folks in the UBA choose an instrument, I've bought for my husband and sons, and I've purchased a couple loaner ukuleles for UBA. It is fun to shop even if you aren't shopping for yourself!

I've also ordered a low G BBClara, but it isn't here yet, hasn't shipped yet, so I will not count it until it is in my hands.

Top Bottom