Upgraded today.

Rllink

Reaction score
Anyone who has been reading my posts has heard me praising my Makala. I promised to play it for a year, learn as much about ukuleles as I could, and then upgrade to something I can really be proud of. Not to say that I'm not proud of the Makala, but it is what it is. So I just got off the phone with Mike at Mainland, and I ordered a mahogany concert with a MiSi pickup, and an alligator case. So I guess I'm done bragging about being immune to UAS. Pretty soon I will have two. Holy cow, what am I going to do with two ukuleles?:cool:

wOOT! That should be a sweet uke, and a significant upgrade! Congrats! Start saving for the 3rd is what you do when you have two ukuleles. Just sayin' :cool:

Or, you could gift the Makala to a needy kid who has the interest. I think you'll love your Mainland. A Mainland gloss mahogany concert has long been on my want list....

Given the restraint you've shown, I don't think your immunity to UAS is questionable yet. If UAS is a sickness, then the question is whether or not the Mainland purchase is the first sign of a throat tickle or sniffle. ;-)

Enjoy the new acquisition and let us know what you think when it arrives!

Congrats! We'll need pic of the new arrival.

Different sizes have different voices so I bet they both will find a place in your heart

Enjoy

Well, Rllink, good for you, but I feel bad that you've given in and will now have a bunch of Ukes (2--ha?). I'll be looking forward to seeing (and hearing?) it too. You're on your way--Congrats!

The more Ukes one has . . . the more Ukes one has. Keep on strumming. :eek:ld:

I have been very proud of you to show such restraint and stick to just one uke. Espeically around this place with us lot. It is like hanging around a bar with a bunch of alcoholics screaming " one more......just one more".

Hang on to you first, don't ever sell it or give it away. She started you on this marvelous journey and deserves a seat at the table.

Congratulations on your new upcoming Mainland concert, I know you will throughly enjoy it. With a pick up in it you can go shopping for all the cool electronic stuff, like amps and cables and mics and stands. UAS takes many forms my friend..........many forms.:eek:

Congrats on your new acquisition! I must say that I truly admire your restraining power all this time!

Or, you could gift the Makala to a needy kid who has the interest. I think you'll love your Mainland. A Mainland gloss mahogany concert has long been on my want list....
That might happen eventually, but for now, I think that the Makala will end up living in Puerto Rico as a beach bum. I don't think that the Mainland with the MiSi would hold up well in the sun, the sand, and the offshore winds carrying the salt into every corner of the uke. I'm not afraid of scratches, smudges, or a little dirt, but that beach environment will corrode electronics in short order. Better for the Mainland to stay off the beach. The Makala likes the beach anyway.

As with bunnies, you seldom have only two for long. I wonder if any culture grinds up black market Kamaka necks and sells the powder as an aphrodisiac.
I've already promised myself that I won't even think about buying another ukulele until I wear the Mainland out.

yay! mainland mahogany concerts are nice - I should know, I have 30 of them ;)

It has been surprising how much they have opened up. Keep in mind, I've got about 200 or so kids playing these things almost every day in school. Some of the ukes are surprisingly loud with very nice cut and projection. Make sure to play the heck out of her, she will continue to sing for you!

I hope you love your Mainland mahogany concert as much as I love mine! I, too, started out with a Makala. I still play her some, when I feel like playing a soprano. You are going to love the Mainland. They are very beautiful to look at and they sound beautiful, too!! I'm excited to hear more about it when you get her!! CONGRATS!

I've already promised myself that I won't even think about buying another ukulele until I wear the Mainland out.

Good for you. Congrats!
I think you'll really like the mainland.

Congrats on your new Mainland! I too have a Makala soprano. I use it for my take anywhere, play in the garage or outside uke. I have had a Mainland hog concert for many years now. Despite having other more expensive ukes, the more I play and the better I get, the more I appreciate my Mainland concert. I now use it as my dedicated low G uke. It sounds so mellow and sweet - I love it. You made a great choice for an upgrade. Enjoy it.

That might happen eventually, but for now, I think that the Makala will end up living in Puerto Rico as a beach bum. I don't think that the Mainland with the MiSi would hold up well in the sun, the sand, and the offshore winds carrying the salt into every corner of the uke. I'm not afraid of scratches, smudges, or a little dirt, but that beach environment will corrode electronics in short order. Better for the Mainland to stay off the beach. The Makala likes the beach anyway.
So you're going to keep the Mainland on the mainland. :D

I hope you enjoy the new uke! My guess is that you will appreciate an upgrade a lot more now that you've waited.

So you're going to keep the Mainland on the mainland. :D

I hope you enjoy the new uke! My guess is that you will appreciate an upgrade a lot more now that you've waited.
Just not down to the beach.

Hang on to you first, don't ever sell it or give it away. She started you on this marvelous journey and deserves a seat at the table.
I totally agree with you. My first was a Cordoba mahogany tenor. It's not the best uke I currently own, but it's still a solid player and I don't think I could ever let it go. If I did, I'm sure I'd regret it.

Mainland is a good uke. I was seriously considering getting the red cedar longneck pineapple to add to my collection.

Top Bottom