Necks: handshaped vs ?

fretie

Reaction score
When reading about custom ukes, I have come across references to 'handshaped necks' and wonder what exactly that means? And if the necks are not hand shaped how else can they be made?

I would take it to mean "no power tools used", that's my understanding. Either that or another marketing tool to make it sound more than it is.

:cool:

When reading about custom ukes, I have come across references to 'handshaped necks' and wonder what exactly that means? And if the necks are not hand shaped how else can they be made?

I will answer your second question first. There are robotic carving or routing machines called CNC. These are computerized routers where you put a neck blank (unshaped length) onto the machine where it is held inplace and a router carves out the neck to the final dimension. These machine are programed with all the dimensions and when done the neck is to final shape and just needs sanding.

Handmade necks would start with the blank and all cutting and shaping operations are done in multiple seperate steps using a bandsaw, possibly a table router, rasps, spoke shaves, planes etc.

I will answer your second question first. There are robotic carving or routing machines called CNC. These are computerized routers where you put a neck blank (unshaped length) onto the machine where it is held inplace and a router carves out the neck to the final dimension. These machine are programed with all the dimensions and when done the neck is to final shape and just needs sanding.

Handmade necks would start with the blank and all cutting and shaping operations are done in multiple seperate steps using a bandsaw, possibly a table router, rasps, spoke shaves, planes etc.

Thanks for this explanation, Dave, found it interesting. I would guess that many independent luthiers can not afford a CNC machine so would usually hand shape the necks for the instruments they build.

I know a guy, got a CNC, uses it for a lot of stuff, including necks. Guess how he got the specs for the neck? He hand shaped one, and based the CNC path off of that.

Me, I use a bandsaw, router table, 6x48 sander, Shinto saw, rasps, spokeshaves, DA Sander, and scrapers. I'd call it hand shaped, but I don't. Its a neck.

For me, the profile is what matters. If I could CNC it, I would, then they'd all be the same. Not sure if that would be a good thing though.

Thanks for this explanation, Dave, found it interesting. I would guess that many independent luthiers can not afford a CNC machine so would usually hand shape the necks for the instruments they build.

Hand shaped means one thing, hand tooled final shaping. I would expect any custom built instrument to not be a mass produced machine tooled item like an automobile. The first CNC machines I saw all the machine did was repeat the same movements an operator would have normally done. No magic there.

Dave's answer leaves one to believe the CNC to be more than a tool and as such never one used in a "hand shaped" neck. This is just not true.

"Martin Acoustic Guitar necks are hand-shaped after a rough cut from a CNC Machine."

I hate to come off a know it all but I do so love facts.

~peace~

fretie: The respondents here have given the standard definition of Hand Shaping and they are correct. There is another way to take hand-shape that is valid. There are several geometries for ukulele or other string instrument necks. These geometries can impact your comfort levels in playing. C F Martin has at least two geometries for ukulele necks they use in their builds. The "CF Martin Traditional" design neck hurts my arthritic hands to play. I have to make adjustments in how I play for comfort. The CF Martin "ukulele design" neck is much more comfortable for me to play with my hands as they are. I do not care to judge which style neck is better for technical playing. I believe that being physically comfortable while playing leads to better playing or at least a more satisfying experience.

Hand shaped means one thing, hand tooled final shaping. I would expect any custom built instrument to not be a mass produced machine tooled item like an automobile. The first CNC machines I saw all the machine did was repeat the same movements an operator would have normally done. No magic there.

Dave's answer leaves one to believe the CNC to be more than a tool and as such never one used in a "hand shaped" neck. This is just not true.

"Martin Acoustic Guitar necks are hand-shaped after a rough cut from a CNC Machine."

I hate to come off a know it all but I do so love facts.

~peace~

Frettie asked a very broad question so I gave a general answer. I only come from a 25 year carrer in wood working where I was production manager of a large custom wood working plant. We did everything from complete custom one off pieces to large production runs of 1000's. Oh........we had 3 CNC machines.

You might hate to come off as a know it all....... I doubt it ;) I on the other had actually know from experience what is involved in working with wood. I would never tell you about the methods used for tattoos. Sure you can combine both CNC machining and hand fitting, it is done all the time. Most things are not ABC, black and white. I guess that is the problem of giving a simple answer to a complex question. Of that I am guilty as charged :p

Last edited:
Frettie asked a very broad question so I gave a general answer. I only come from a 25 year carrer in wood working where I was production manager of a large custom wood working plant. We did everything from complete custom one off pieces to large production runs of 1000's. Oh........we had 3 CNC machines.

You might hate to come off as a know it all....... I doubt it ;) (this is an attack on my character) I on the other had actually know from experience what is involved in working with wood. I would never tell you about the methods used for tattoos. Sure you can combine both CNC machining and hand fitting, it is done all the time. Most things are not ABC, black and white. I guess that is the problem of giving a simple answer to a complex question. Of that I am guilty as charged :p

If you want to start talking about tattooing have at it! lol I know my background and never questioned yours. I simply pointed out a CNC machine can be used as a tool (a step) in making a "hand shaped" neck as shown in the provided video. While I do love an intelligent debate, to try to somehow guilt me by mentioning tattooing or pulling superiority by playing the past experience card is clearly the start of a very weak misguided argument and is not necessary here or anywhere really.

Hand shaped means something different than handmade or hand fitted I think most would agree yourself included. Nothing in the original question was very complex really no shades of gray but simple black and white from my perspective. Now we could argue if a neck roughed on a CNC and still "hand shaped" as shown in the video is still a "handmade" neck but that was never the question of this thread. We actually agree on everything except perhaps you have simply ignored or missed the first question completely.

~ALoha~

I suggest asking this question directly to the custom ukulele builder of choice when you are ready to place an order. This way there is no room for any interpretation.

~peace~

I suggest asking this question directly to the custom ukulele builder of choice when you are ready to place an order. This way there is no room for any interpretation.

~peace~

Good point...and in fact is partly from which my query arose...the luthier that make my mango uke mentioned, when I commented on how comfortable the uke's neck was, that it was 'hand shaped'. As I thought about his comment I realized that I wasn't sure what hand shaped meant, hence my question here on UU.

Top Bottom